Coronavirus & Lockdowns - the Positives - Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too many personally as I have been miserable for the bulk of it however...

. Think it's really matured me as a person
. Worked full time through it so money saved
. A lot of stuff taken for granted prior to 2020 you appreciate a bit more

The train will shortly be arriving in 1983: a boyhood rebuilt in Britain’s biggest model railway

As lockdown projects go, it doesn’t get much bigger than a 60-metre long model railway.

When Simon George set about re-creating his favourite childhood spot from 1983, he had no idea it would expand to become the biggest of its kind in Britain.

“I suppose all of us as kids always had somewhere that we’d go to, whether outside a corner shop or in a park,” said 53-year-old George, who lives in Ripon, North Yorkshire.

“But where I used to go when I was a kid was a railway junction, just near Mirfield in West Yorkshire. I used to spend a lot of time there, watching the trains go past, and it left an indelible impact on my memory.”

Having never built a model railway before, George began the model in 2015 as a hobby.
But after selling his share of a supercar driving experience company two and a half years ago, he threw himself into the project and worked on it doggedly during lockdown.
39185452-9251581-image-a-14_1613079286077.jpg

Wish we had a real train to 1983

Positives: halved my commute to and from work. FOMO was at an all time low because I knew everyone else's life was just as dull as mine. Wasn't under as much scrutiny at work because everyone was distracted by covid and at times it served as a good excuse for not being as productive as I should have been. I didn't have to spend a fortune taking my kids out on the weekends. But got to spend more time with them. Like a lot of people, I learnt how to skype, which is something I would have never bothered getting around to without covid. Plus 2019 was a super depressing year for me, so I was personally happier in 2020 and 2021 than I was in 2019.

A new species of dinosaur with an extremely large nose has been identified by a retired GP who spent lockdown rummaging through boxes of ancient bones.

Jeremy Lockwood, who is studying for a PhD at the University of Portsmouth, set himself the task of cataloguing every iguanodon bone discovered on the Isle of Wight. As he sorted the bones from the collections of the Natural History Museum in London and the Dinosaur Isle museum on the Isle of Wight, he discovered a specimen with a unique “bulbous” nasal bone.

Outed a number of acquaintances and colleagues as anti-vax, especially now the vax mandates regarding certain jobs have come in. Some were a pretty big surprise tbh, people I thought were quite clever turn out to be not so, and now they think they are much more clever than they really are.

Elena Wyatt was not even planning to go to Australia when she set off on a gap year with a friend in 2019 after graduating from the University of Leeds.
But she ended up having an unexpectedly epic adventure after flying to Melbourne in March 2020 — and getting stuck after catching one of the last flights into the country.

She has loved pretty much every second of her enforced stay, and describes herself as “the luckiest person alive” to have arrived in Australia when she did. While her family, who live in Norwich, were shivering in lockdown Britain, Wyatt, 24, was snorkelling with manta rays and tiger sharks on the Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia.
She was having so much fun at times when.....

Outed a number of acquaintances and colleagues as anti-vax, especially now the vax mandates regarding certain jobs have come in. Some were a pretty big surprise tbh, people I thought were quite clever turn out to be not so, and now they think they are much more clever than they really are.
Similar but not really....mates who effectively wanted to dan andrews "disappear" not praising him for allowing novak in.

Why bother wasting your time on others vax status?

What do you mean "outed", as in your made sure everyone knew they were anti-vax?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My manager and technical leads are both anti vaxxer which rather surprised me.

Not sure how it plays out as the company is looking at a vaxx mandate, right or wrong it looks to be coming in and both are on good coin and good wickets. They have a big decision to make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back