Coronavirus & Lockdowns - the Positives - Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've thought long and hard about this, whether it's appropriate or not. It could be.

The Corona has led to a lot of behavioural changes in mankind. Here are some:

- less stories and articles about "influencers"
- washing and sanitising of hands
- brought people together when at the shops- everyone is battling the same enemy.
- social distancing. Yes it is argued to be born out of fear, but you don't get people standing right up your bottom now.
- people of all races wearing masks, whereas before it was seen as an asian thing
- talking and engaging with family in different ways. Although it could be argued that we're all using internet more, we are also in contact with family and loved ones more as physical connections are essentially banned
- a general mutual respect of the federal and state politicians from the people. Liberals and Labors acknowledging the jobs their opponents are doing.
- no traffic
- less pollution
- less climate change disputes
- increased respect for cleaners
- work from home
- seemingly more walkers

What sort of Corona based behaviours will you continue to employ after the saga?

Have a great day

People might get their flu vaccinations this year.
A large dip in oil demand, meaning less pollution.
No poker machines
A city in China has banned eating cat and dog.
Hopefully more people will consider a plant-based diet, since all these viruses seem to come from eating other animals.
Internet upgrades, installation of portals for telecommutes.

'positives' of a pandemic that is actively killing or hospitalising people the world over, and restrictions that have seen people lose their jobs and businesses shut down? yeah I'm gonna put this in either the 'too soon' or 'bad taste' basket.

Turn it up, this is the thread that we need.

- Having enough time to make home made gnocchi on the weekend
- Doing much needed MMA history lessons on Fight Pass
- Can eat a weed cookie with no chance of having to go out and face the public
- Finding a trampoline in hard rubbish on a daily walk for my son
- Getting the spare room cleaned up
- Saving a lot on petrol

Turn it up, this is the thread that we need.

- Having enough time to make home made gnocchi on the weekend
- Doing much needed MMA history lessons on Fight Pass
- Can eat a weed cookie with no chance of having to go out and face the public
- Finding a trampoline in hard rubbish on a daily walk for my son
- Getting the spare room cleaned up
- Saving a lot on petrol

ohhhh. Were you able to drag it home?

now that society has been broken down into its essential practices, i've found I don't have to go to the supermarket as much. i enjoy not mixing it with old slow shoppers or people who park their trolley sideways while they ruminate over 2 minute noodle flavours.
less shopping, less chance to buy crap i don't need.

my diet is somewhat healthier, a little more vegetarian than before. i never ate a lot of meat already, and i'm lucky enough to be able to make edible meals out of what most people pass over like lentils, or wankier stuff like freekeh or bulgur.
i enjoy the challenge of having to scrape something together by the time i need to be shopping again.

Last edited:
I've thought long and hard about this, whether it's appropriate or not. It could be.

The Corona has led to a lot of behavioural changes in mankind. Here are some:

- less stories and articles about "influencers"
- washing and sanitising of hands
- brought people together when at the shops- everyone is battling the same enemy.
- social distancing. Yes it is argued to be born out of fear, but you don't get people standing right up your bottom now.
- people of all races wearing masks, whereas before it was seen as an asian thing
- talking and engaging with family in different ways. Although it could be argued that we're all using internet more, we are also in contact with family and loved ones more as physical connections are essentially banned
- a general mutual respect of the federal and state politicians from the people. Liberals and Labors acknowledging the jobs their opponents are doing.
- no traffic
- less pollution
- less climate change disputes
- increased respect for cleaners
- work from home
- seemingly more walkers

What sort of Corona based behaviours will you continue to employ after the saga?

Have a great day
I will continue to stay up late watching TV and drinking discount hipster beer.

Then again that’s not Coronavirus based behaviour.

You know what’s good? Now everyone else’s life is as uneventful as mine. No more friends telling me they went for a lovely weekend up the coast. No more comparing park run times. No more photos of happy families in front of Mount Fuji. None of that. Facebook feed has absolutely dried up but for pictures of their kids baking, and even I can do that.

Heaven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what’s good? Now everyone else’s life is as uneventful as mine. No more friends telling me they went for a lovely weekend up the coast. No more comparing park run times. No more photos of happy families in front of Mount Fuji. None of that. Facebook feed has absolutely dried up but for pictures of their kids baking, and even I can do that.

Heaven.

Yes but do they run a super duper forum for people of all races?

Heaven.
Please don't bake any kids, food isn't that scarce yet.

- Forcing people to use technology to get in touch will hopefully break down the door to it going mainstream and reducing unnecessary travel. I know my grandparents are loving video chat now that they've been all but forced to learn how to use it.
Not great news for the airline and hotel industry

Good for oldies who are becoming obsolete (bad for the young ones who invariably have to show them how)

Perhaps, but a good teacher can still be a good teacher without technological skills so I don't necessarily agree with the obsolete part. Also at 52 I think I had a lot more know how than some of my younger colleagues.

Perhaps, but a good teacher can still be a good teacher without technological skills so I don't necessarily agree with the obsolete part. Also at 52 I think I had a lot more know how than some of my younger colleagues.

Yes but generally you’d have to agree that older workers struggle with technology and it’s usually expected the younger ones will know how it works and teach them how to use it. This has always been the way since I started working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back