List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

What did Kerr look like live? Going by the footage, he looks powerful.
He’s playing against 16/17 yo’s that will be park footballers at best. A kid that’s draft quality should be dominant in school footy. It’s championships that the question becomes relevant.

He’s playing against 16/17 yo’s that will be park footballers at best. A kid that’s draft quality should be dominant in school footy. It’s championships that the question becomes relevant.
Usually to be in the Xavier first 18 (Kerr’s opposition) you have to be fairly decent. The top 10-15 or so of most APS teams would be NAB league listed. The bottom half dozen of each team is where the standard drops off

There is no word atm. They are still doing the review of the whole thing.
Hopefully we find out in the next month or so.

But his oakleigh coach tells me, he'll be outside the top 40, especially when you consider all the mids in this draft.
Heard some radio coverage on this. They’re talking about revaluation of points and also complex rules like you have to have a pick within 10 picks of the bid to counter.
Sounds even harder and full of its own loopholes.

Usually to be in the Xavier first 18 (Kerr’s opposition) you have to be fairly decent. The top 10-15 or so of most APS teams would be NAB league listed. The bottom half dozen of each team is where the standard drops off
Fairly decent? Which footy program are you linked to? The footage was pretty self explanatory in terms of the quality…

The only standard that really matters for draftable traits is the next gen match, academy matches and championships because they’re all against their peers that are a chance to be drafted or men.

Heard some radio coverage on this. They’re talking about revaluation of points and also complex rules like you have to have a pick within 10 picks of the bid to counter.

Very unlike AFL HQ to make things complicated.

Will this apply to interstate academy picks as well

Will this apply to interstate academy picks as well
They were suggesting that, but it’s clear still being thrashed out.

With bidding being a thing now, I reckon the threshold for father/son should revert from 100 games back to 50.
Would actually help the newer clubs enter that area sooner and diminish the need for their academies.

Fairly decent? Which footy program are you linked to? The footage was pretty self explanatory in terms of the quality…

The only standard that really matters for draftable traits is the next gen match, academy matches and championships because they’re all against their peers that are a chance to be drafted or men.
Coates as well. The standard there is usually high. Some State Leagues are also monitored for both U18s and seniors.

The quality is average and varies game to game. School footy is monitored mainly because it’s more exposure of potential top ten picks.

Very unlike AFL HQ to make things complicated.
I love it as a concept because instead of the Suns using pick 4 to acquire all of them last year it might have landed just 2 and they need to get creative for the rest. In terms of complications it may make the acquisition harder, but the bidding would be much easier.

"Decent" is not a term to attach to a team that coughs it up to St.Kevin's. Disgrace is closer.

At least these legends registered a more appropriate scorecard on the weekend.

1713829189181.png

"Fairly decent" doesn't mean draft standard. There's one thing to be Coates Talent League listed and another thing to be lining up on the weekend Xavier's team sheet had quite a few who weren't playing CTL at all and St Kev's for that matter. The only reason recruiters show up is because of the top. They might find an Ollie Hanrahan once in a blue moon but it's extremely rare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love it as a concept because instead of the Suns using pick 4 to acquire all of them last year it might have landed just 2 and they need to get creative for the rest. In terms of complications it may make the acquisition harder, but the bidding would be much easier.
That’s true.
But it also does kooky things like make picks 10 & 11 strangely valuable as the lowest picks than can secure pick 1 as a bid.

That’s true.
But it also does kooky things like make picks 10 & 11 strangely valuable as the lowest picks than can secure pick 1 as a bid.
In a warped way, yeah. The other option was matching with bids in the same round which would have made our picks over the past 5 years super valuable. The problem being if a bid comes with the second last pick of a round… Neither works entirely, IMO. A combination of both though is better than the current system where some magic beans can equate to a top 5 pick.

I wouldn't mind this new potential change. Have no restriction only that you have to use a pick or picks within the first 10 or so within the bid.
At least given the more time and resources clubs are putting into NGA, you want to make sure you can get these players if you want them

In a warped way, yeah. The other option was matching with bids in the same round which would have made our picks over the past 5 years super valuable. The problem being if a bid comes with the second last pick of a round… Neither works entirely, IMO. A combination of both though is better than the current system where some magic beans can equate to a top 5 pick.
But I like magic beans. 🫘

The other option is to remove bid matching in the first round.

I wouldn't mind this new potential change. Have no restriction only that you have to use a pick or picks within the first 10 or so within the bid.
At least given the more time and resources clubs are putting into NGA, you want to make sure you can get these players if you want them

Bit tricky if you’re, say, missing a second round pick and not sure where a bid is going to come. Do you trade for a second ahead of time? Do you have the ability to smash out an in-draft trade in time to get the appropriate pick and match?

I know teams will have pre-draft contingencies, trades they’ve floated with rival recruiters to say “if our guy falls here, can we swap x and y for z?”, but if you don’t know where the bid is going to fall, it makes matching trickier than with just a total of points to spend.

Bit tricky if you’re, say, missing a second round pick and not sure where a bid is going to come. Do you trade for a second ahead of time? Do you have the ability to smash out an in-draft trade in time to get the appropriate pick and match?

I know teams will have pre-draft contingencies, trades they’ve floated with rival recruiters to say “if our guy falls here, can we swap x and y for z?”, but if you don’t know where the bid is going to fall, it makes matching trickier than with just a total of points to spend.
It'll all be guess work which will create drama on draft night and the AFL is craving this to spice up the dull draft (it's not a television event unless you're a real student of list management). I hope we can avoid all of the fluff.

As soon as they invented academies (an idea for soccer which has a more open transfer market) and mixed it with the draft (almost exclusively American), it was always going to end in a nightmare of imbalance after a decade. They're trying to blend our English-style of sports management at community clubs into an American-model with franchises yet it doesn't quite work.

Queensland has a population of 5.185 million, New South Wales has a population of 8.166 million plus the ACT. The talent there is spread between four sides. Isolating it to so few clubs is a bad idea and what we've now seen is lifelong players - not so much converts - are in these academies. Clubs use the 20% discount each year. Unlike father/son, it's not random and as they are academy, the standard is usually assured to be good unless they're Category B rookies but those instances are reducing.

If Tasmania can pump out 2-4 draftees from a population of 500,000, the potential is enormous from QLD and NSW/ACT. Footy is now more popular than junior rugby in QLD and it's growing in NSW/ACT.

Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane and Sydney now have a way to discounted talent and the normal draft system.

Other NGAs are a rort of the system and haven't produced a significant amount of growth in multicultural or Indigenous areas.

Academies should be AFL-operated and once you graduate, you enter the game normally as any other player would. Happy coincidence if you end up in your home state. If they want to boost multicultural numbers, keep it open for all and have ambassadors.

i would think going into the draft you know if your academy or fs is a 1st or 2nd round pick. People talk.

i would think going into the draft you know if your academy or fs is a 1st or 2nd round pick. People talk.

Perhaps. There was talk we were prepared to match a bid Reef at #9, and ended up asking GWS to bid on him in the mid 20’s or some such? Seems volatile.

1268488ff3016656966cd55d6de0ace3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New episode of Gettable they talked about the Academy/NGA review thats going on, and one ideal that has been floated is staggered approach.

Like if you sign kids up to your NGA at earlier ages, you can get access to them earlier.

Age 12 - From pick 1
From age 14 - pick 16
Age 16 - pick 20

New episode of Gettable they talked about the Academy/NGA review thats going on, and one ideal that has been floated is staggered approach.

Like if you sign kids up to your NGA at earlier ages, you can get access to them earlier.

Age 12 - From pick 1
From age 14 - pick 16
Age 16 - pick 20
There's a certain logic to 'you invest more time, you get a better chance at reaping the reward'

There's a certain logic to 'you invest more time, you get a better chance at reaping the reward'
And I think we approach our NGA like that. When re-started our academy last year, we have kids as young as 12, and then it goes up ages.
Those in draftable ages are known as "High performance"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back