Player Watch Peter Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

On the way home from his first game, I said to my dad, that number 35 looks like he might be alright.
1979, Dad mad Carlton, Mum mad Collingwood. Both trying to win me over. Took me to a Collingwood V Carlton game. Had a Collingwood jumper with 35 on the back ever since.

It must have been in 1978. I always arrived before the start of the reserves, while my brothers and sister would get there just before the big game. I had a habit of declaring players future champions from by observations of the dewkickers. I said that a kid wearing no. 50 as I recall stood out like a beacon. Looking down the footy record my brother said that P Daicos would probably be similar to my other prognostications like Shane Whitney(zero games) or Lex Pritchard (2). Had to get one right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That may have been his 13th goal on the night.
Dunno
he kicked that one early on I think, after halftime it was pouring rain
This shows all 13, one after the other!:

It did come in the second half (very early), but was his 7th for the game. He kicked 13.1 that day!
Watch the whole game here if you wish!:

It must have been in 1978. I always arrived before the start of the reserves, while my brothers and sister would get there just before the big game. I had a habit of declaring players future champions from by observations of the dewkickers. I said that a kid wearing no. 50 as I recall stood out like a beacon. Looking down the footy record my brother said that P Daicos would probably be similar to my other prognostications like Shane Whitney(zero games) or Lex Pritchard (2). Had to get one right.
Was that at VFL Park?
I recall a young P.Daicos in a reserves a game I went to and all the pies supporters around me mentioned this kid will be a very good player.

Always bled Black and White. One of the greatest to ever do it. His football IQ was always off the charts. Not many come anywhere near his footy brains (Pendlebury and McGuane on par).

So glad he’s back in and around the club. Love that’s he’s becoming the face of the Club again, along with Peter Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My dad often tells a story of his own father, who was fortunate enough to be president at the time, and the broader reaction to the elder Daicos first coming onto the scene. He'd seen some great young talent come through in his tenure (Banks, Williams, Tony Shaw, Barham), but nothing like this Macedonian kid.

Even from the first training it was apparent what kind of marvel Daics was going to be. The old guard hanging around the club were thoroughly impressed with what they were seeing, & my then-teenage father made sure to watch even more training runs (probably why he failed year 12...).

Whilst more publicised due to the nature of footy media these days, I feel as if we've had a similar kind of story with Nick. Unbelievable junior talent who has wowed at every step, made it to the AFL, and has only really continued to keep wowing us. We are very lucky - not to mention Josh!

Now we just need Daics to make some, uh, donations, and flags ad infinitum are ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back