Roast Coaching discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand the Melksham knocking tbh. Even if you consider p25 a significant reach (which I don't) he seems to be on the early podium for whipping boy status. I'm expecting him to be quite serviceable under Goodwin. Once he puts an opposition player on his arse attitudes will change IMO.
It feels like Dawes 2.0 for mine - we paid overs to take a whipping boy off another club.

It feels like Dawes 2.0 for mine - we paid overs to take a whipping boy off another club.
Pies couldn't wait to get rid of Dawes though. From what I've read Melksham was a required player at Essendon and actually played good footy in his early years. But I suppose this is a coaching thread and I don't want to take it off track. I think Goodwin knows what he's doing and we could have a solid B type player coming into his prime.

I always thought Melksham was alright, one of the few bombers i recognised and remembered. Thought he was decent at Essendon, i won't say he's great but neither will i say he is poor. i reckon Melksham will go alright for us

Pies couldn't wait to get rid of Dawes though. From what I've read Melksham was a required player at Essendon and actually played good footy in his early years. But I suppose this is a coaching thread and I don't want to take it off track. I think Goodwin knows what he's doing and we could have a solid B type player coming into his prime.

To be fair, Chris Dawes was a pretty handy youngster for a key forward. Kicked 30 goals in 20 games in 2010 and averaged 6 marks a game as a 20/21 year old. Took 10 marks against the Doggies in the QF and 9 against the Cats in the PF. That's not bad given big forwards take a while to come on. He got injured against Hawthorn in round 15 2011, missed a couple of months, and for some strange reason he never got back to what he was except for the odd game here or there.

To be fair, Chris Dawes was a pretty handy youngster for a key forward. Kicked 30 goals in 20 games in 2010 and averaged 6 marks a game as a 20/21 year old. Took 10 marks against the Doggies in the QF and 9 against the Cats in the PF. That's not bad given big forwards take a while to come on. He got injured against Hawthorn in round 15 2011, missed a couple of months, and for some strange reason he never got back to what he was except for the odd game here or there.
My point wasn't really about having a go at Dawes, more to say that Melksham (despite the idiot Bomber supporter rhetoric on BF) was a genuine loss to Essendon. I realise Dawes did offer some good service at Collingwood in his earlier years so I get your point but ultimately the Pies couldn't get rid of him quick enough. That's all I was getting at.

To be fair? Dawes? Are you feeling okay? It is pretty hot out and all. Keep the fluids up

My point wasn't really about having a go at Dawes, more to say that Melksham (despite the idiot Bomber supporter rhetoric on BF) was a genuine loss to Essendon. I realise Dawes did offer some good service at Collingwood in his earlier years so I get your point but ultimately the Pies couldn't get rid of him quick enough. That's all I was getting at.
On the subject of Melksham, he and Billy Stretch blitzed this drill thingy in training last week doing snap goals from an acute angle from a tap down at the boundary line. Strong wind too. I don't think Stretchy missed any, and Melksham got one poster in a sharp gust, but the rest spot on. Dunn was the real hero though, he was practising long goals from outside 50. No fear of any being touched on the goal - at least three sailed over the goals and nets then vanished into the yonder. Volunteers were pretty shagged out by the end of it. Most went so high it was difficult to make out whether they were goals or not, but if the umpires are equally unsure that works fine.

I'm being brought around. I think Melksham may go well for us.

Id love to see Dunn play a little more in the forward line this year against sides without a strong forward, think Mcdonald x2 and Frost can handle the Jack Riewoldt types and I like having someone at the 40-60m range who is a genuine threat
I've only seen training twice - both times Dunn was practising goal kicking every spare moment. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw him swung forward a few times in 2016. It can be effective as a strategy - gives the opposition something different than planned to look at and stuffs with their match ups

I'd rather not mess with Dunn, was inconsistent over the years we played him all over the place. if he's comfortable in defence i'd just leave him there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunn is one of the best shutdown KPDs in the league. Just leave him where he belongs.

Hawthorn planned for the future by moving Buddy into the midfield on regular occasions in a premiership season
Theres no reason that at times we cant give exposure to Frost and O.Mac on blokes in defence against sides without dominant KPFs

I've only seen training twice - both times Dunn was practising goal kicking every spare moment. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw him swung forward a few times in 2016. It can be effective as a strategy - gives the opposition something different than planned to look at and stuffs with their match ups
They might not play him forward, just use him like they did Paul Wheatley with a free or mark just outside 50.

Dunn doesn't need to play forward as he can slot them for centre square

a nice start to Goodwin in the hot seat, only nab games, but can only judge him on what there is available. feel like the long term coaching plan is rolling ahead as per schedule and the dees have managed this one correctly.

had we lost these two games badly I suspect there would be meltdown on this thread and calls for Roos contract to be forcibly extended, but the dees have played some good footy under Goodwin and I'm not sure there is much more to be asked of him at this stage.

I am cautiously (always) optimistic and another year of transition and further learning from Roos should see Goodwin with as good an apprenticeship as you can provide heading into his first solo year in 2017.

a nice start to Goodwin in the hot seat, only nab games, but can only judge him on what there is available. feel like the long term coaching plan is rolling ahead as per schedule and the dees have managed this one correctly.

had we lost these two games badly I suspect there would be meltdown on this thread and calls for Roos contract to be forcibly extended, but the dees have played some good footy under Goodwin and I'm not sure there is much more to be asked of him at this stage.

I am cautiously (always) optimistic and another year of transition and further learning from Roos should see Goodwin with as good an apprenticeship as you can provide heading into his first solo year in 2017.

Im loving the look of the Goodwin/Roos hybrid game plan. Really tough hard working defence with immense tackling pressure in our forward half and when we get free its quick ball movement with a lot of forward handballs. Kent and Garlett will be so dangerous on transition if the rest of the team can keep the disposal clean. Hope we can keep it going into the reg season

Bump.

Despite falling over the line yesterday, 8 wins for the season with four games in hand means Roosy has officially improved us with each year he has been at the club. Percentage is also much healthier than it has been in a long time.

Its been slow and methodical, some times groin-grabbingly painful to watch, but I've got no doubt he's saved the club and given Goodwin the best platform possible to begin his senior coaching career.

:hearts:Roosy:hearts:

Bump.

Despite falling over the line yesterday, 8 wins for the season with four games in hand means Roosy has officially improved us with each year he has been at the club. Percentage is also much healthier than it has been in a long time.

Its been slow and methodical, some times groin-grabbingly painful to watch, but I've got no doubt he's saved the club and given Goodwin the best platform possible to begin his senior coaching career.

:hearts:Roosy:hearts:
Yup. One more win and it's our best year in a decade.

Don't want to be too negative. I do believe we are heading in the right direction, and that this list is good enough to make finals. I'm not sure who it was on here that said that they're sick of beating the same sides year after year. I must admit there is a bit of 2010/2011 in that sense you know interstate teams at the g. But unlike those years I do think where heading in the right direction. Cautiously optimistic for 2017.

Don't want to be too negative. I do believe we are heading in the right direction, and that this list is good enough to make finals. I'm not sure who it was on here that said that they're sick of beating the same sides year after year. I must admit there is a bit of 2010/2011 in that sense you know interstate teams at the g. But unlike those years I do think where heading in the right direction. Cautiously optimistic for 2017.
Touch wood before this weekend, but the difference is we have been in most games when the whips are cracking, even though we haven't quite managed a big scalp we have made the opposition earn it (except the Sydney game). In 2010/11 we got hammered by the best sides and beat up on those below us, that's not the case this time around. We're closing the gap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back