Opinion Climate change

Remove this Banner Ad

Scientists in disbelief as temperatures soar to 37C in South America in the middle of winter

This Is Fine GIF

Is the climate crisis finally catching up with Antarctica? Finding the answer has never been more pressing | Andrew Meijers

This uncertainty is encapsulated in the ongoing phenomenally low sea ice growth season. There is now 2.5m sq km less sea ice than there should be at this time of year, roughly the size of Western Australia. It is so far outside our observed records that hyperbole has flourished even within the scientific community. Many theories exist for this year’s anomaly, but the question of whether this is climate change finally catching up with the previously robust Antarctic sea ice, as it has in the Arctic, is still unknown at present and will take years to untangle.

Loss of Arctic sea ice and Greenland ice sheet melt getting all the attention. Antarctica says "hold my beer". 2.5 million square km!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of power consumed for bitcoin mining is insane. Just great when we are in a climate change emergency. What a mess.

Bitcoin is stupid, its valuable because of supply demand. Its in short supply because its purposely hard to get. It has demand because people want something valuable.

Meanwhile that strategy is being rolled out locally as well.
Businesses are being paid to close their doors at times of peak Power.

Meanwhile .... the old Peak/Off Peak power prices remain pretty much the traditional ones. It is not more expensive to buy power after 8pm in summer than it is at 1pm. Peak/Off Peak should reflect solar availability.

I'd also consider that someone ( not sure who ) should develop a standard for appliances that can access , either through a smart meter or the net, an official power availability system.
A refrigerator could defer its defrost cycle until power is readily available. A washing machine or dishwasher could be loaded and set to run later when the power is available. Over a mass market those sorts of things could make a difference.

The future is likely to be a glut of electricity when the Sun is shining and the wind is blowing, and its likely to remain a premium at other times.

( Things like desalination plants should be operated like that , but i'm pretty sure they don't do it like that at Wonthaggi, they use the easier, but flawed, "Carbon Offsets " where they just pay the money to claim greenness. Doesn't help the grid , and costs more for our water. ).

The earth and its population is in for a world of pain going forward
Perhaps when climate change starts to really hit the hip pockets of our billionaires they will start to take notice.
Of course by then it is probably too late.

That's the thing about billionaires... When you get to the status, nothing hits your hip pockets. You unlock financial god mode.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

What's weird is that there's an El Niño going on, and normally an El Niño is a death on hurricanes – it prevents formation of really nasty hurricanes," he says. "But the conventional wisdom is that this is [still happening] because the ocean is so hot, and that's really interesting."

There's "pretty convincing evidence", he adds, that major hurricanes are becoming more common.

If they're that reliant on the grid they should build their own power generation.

Like real mines do.

Otherwise, just cut them off. They're not an essential service.

They could operate in a more sustainable manner.
They don't "need" to mine bitcoin all the time, do it during daylight when solar is ample, or do it when the wind turbines are operating, or both. I guess they want to maximise their return on capital.

Sitting on a bus yesterday and saw a poster urging people to take public transport to Coldplay's concerts at Optus Stadium - "Download the app and join the Coldplay Carbon Neutral Pledge - free travel included in the price of tickets!" I suspect there's more to the band's sustainability push than getting people to use public transport, but choosing Perth for their only Australian shows is only likely to get more people jumping on planes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back