Oppo Camp Chloe Molloy

Remove this Banner Ad

She did not have to Accept the Offer
True, but it's quite a hard one though, on one hard you have the club you love and enjoy playing for. On the other you have a good money offer to set you up financially and an exciting new move is sometimes hard to knock back.

Hello there

I just saw Moy's interview with 'Ruba' on Fox: Chloe Molloy’s beautiful interview with Ruby Schleicher after big move to Sydney Swans.

I came here because I can't figure out why someone so devoted to Collingwood would leave - I don't really buy the Sydney lifestyle and the opportunity of being a leader for a club at the bottom. And here I find an explanation: $$$. I have to say this actually makes sense. However I'm shocked that we could offer so much more money. Does anyone have a source for that? Don't we have to fit our players into the same tiers as everyone else? I thought the most we could offer in terms of financial incentives were (a) longer contract; (b) relocation expenses; and (c) ASAs. Collingwood would be well placed to offer ASAs too so that wouldn't really be a compelling offer unless she was really cared about a long contract.

So can anyone offer any alternative explanations or back-up these claims about $1.2M??

Also, is it just a coincidence that Chiocci and Lambert have departed at the same time? Has there been a change in direction from club management? Is Symonds still your coach?

Cheers

Hello there

I just saw Moy's interview with 'Ruba' on Fox: Chloe Molloy’s beautiful interview with Ruby Schleicher after big move to Sydney Swans.

I came here because I can't figure out why someone so devoted to Collingwood would leave - I don't really buy the Sydney lifestyle and the opportunity of being a leader for a club at the bottom. And here I find an explanation: $$$. I have to say this actually makes sense. However I'm shocked that we could offer so much more money. Does anyone have a source for that? Don't we have to fit our players into the same tiers as everyone else? I thought the most we could offer in terms of financial incentives were (a) longer contract; (b) relocation expenses; and (c) ASAs. Collingwood would be well placed to offer ASAs too so that wouldn't really be a compelling offer unless she was really cared about a long contract.

So can anyone offer any alternative explanations or back-up these claims about $1.2M??

Also, is it just a coincidence that Chiocci and Lambert have departed at the same time? Has there been a change in direction from club management? Is Symonds still your coach?

Cheers
$ and the ability to offer a 5 year contract (Stability) which is something no other club can offer.
In terms of money, franchise clubs are able to offer certain players big money because you'd have nobody else on the tier 1 payments. Possibly outside the cap? I'm not totally sure about that aspect. But yeah, money and long term contract would have been the selling point. It was definitely in the double digits.
300k possibly x 4 (with a option for a 5th) would make it 1.2M

$ and the ability to offer a 5 year contract (Stability) which is something no other club can offer.
In terms of money, franchise clubs are able to offer certain players big money because you'd have nobody else on the tier 1 payments. Possibly outside the cap? I'm not totally sure about that aspect. But yeah, money and long term contract would have been the selling point. It was definitely in the double digits.
300k possibly x 4 (with a option for a 5th) would make it 1.2M

Thank you very much for that reply. It is helpful, although I'm still pretty sceptical that we can pay anywhere near $300K per season. But the part that we had a Tier 1 spot available to offer, multiplied by a long deal, makes a lot of sense. Would Collingwood not have offered Chloe a Tier 1 spot too? I'm not sure who would be your most senior/biggest earning players and how far down that list Moy would have stood.

Right now the Demons are looking pretty good to go back to back do you think, having successfully retained their whole list?

Thank you very much for that reply. It is helpful, although I'm still pretty sceptical that we can pay anywhere near $300K per season. But the part that we had a Tier 1 spot available to offer, multiplied by a long deal, makes a lot of sense. Would Collingwood not have offered Chloe a Tier 1 spot too? I'm not sure who would be your most senior/biggest earning players and how far down that list Moy would have stood.

Right now the Demons are looking pretty good to go back to back do you think, having successfully retained their whole list?
She would have been tier 1, but expansion clubs have a lot more money to play around with, at least initially. I don't know the details of it, but pretty sure they get extra money to lure players.. hence why you find some profile players leave when an expansion team comes in. Not the first time pies have been raided.

Yeah Melbourne.. Surprised nobody went after them. How losing Daisy will affect them remains to be seen, but they'll no doubt be a big challenger in the upcoming season.

Max we can offer is about $71k/yr over 2 years, scuttlebutt suggests Swans were able to offer $300k/yr over 4 years.

Sydney Swans will be granted three additional list spots for Season Eight, reducing to for two for Season Nine. They will be permitted to sign up to five players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a 'Secondary Relocation Reimbursement/Payment' to players signed during the PSP.

The Sydney Swans were also offered the ability to offer a longer-term contract with an additional two seasons
more than allowed in the Season Eight list rules for two players. They are also permitted to offer a longer-term contract with an additional one season more than allowed in Season Eight list rules for three players.

They don't tell us the actual amount allowed under the Secondary Relocation Reimbursement/Payment, but as I said, the scuttlebutt is $300k/yr in total.

Max we can offer is about $71k/yr over 2 years, scuttlebutt suggests Swans were able to offer $300k/yr over 4 years.

Sydney Swans will be granted three additional list spots for Season Eight, reducing to for two for Season Nine. They will be permitted to sign up to five players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a 'Secondary Relocation Reimbursement/Payment' to players signed during the PSP.

The Sydney Swans were also offered the ability to offer a longer-term contract with an additional two seasons
more than allowed in the Season Eight list rules for two players. They are also permitted to offer a longer-term contract with an additional one season more than allowed in Season Eight list rules for three players.

They don't tell us the actual amount allowed under the Secondary Relocation Reimbursement/Payment, but as I said, the scuttlebutt is $300k/yr in total.

I've also been reminded overnight that Chloe had created a tax debt for herself and that must have meant money became more important.

That's exactly my understanding of the situation: we're able to offer longer contracts, plus top tier to more players, plus relocation expenses. No doubt we'll also help to land her another job and have people that can help her with financial planning.

None of that supports the idea we can offer anything like $300K p.a. if you ask me.

I appreciate the replies.

None of that supports the idea we can offer anything like $300K p.a. if you ask me.
Just adding the below that I noticed in the North thread.
Relocation payments aside, every club can have 2 players on unlimited $ via ASAs, and they don't have to be the players who are on a Tier 1 contract.

Each club also has $100k (must at least spend $80k of it) in ASAs to split up among the rest of the list however they want. Hence there were 40+ AFLW players earning six-figure sums last season despite the Tier 1 payment being $72k.
This explains why the figures are much larger (whether 300k is accurate, who knows). Someone could correct me on this, but theoretically, an AFLW player could earn 1mil in a season as one of the players at their club who is outside the ASA cap. Of course, it would need to be justifiable, so they'd probably be in a bunch of TV ads and on heaps of billboards etc.

Presumably, the Pies have two other players (Davey and Bonnici/Schleicher/Allen) already filling the out-of-the-cap ASA slots and therefore the best they could offer Molloy may have been Tier 1/2 (if available) and however much of the 100k ASA cap they had free. And of course the shorter contract.

I've also been reminded overnight that Chloe had created a tax debt for herself and that must have meant money became more important.

That's exactly my understanding of the situation: we're able to offer longer contracts, plus top tier to more players, plus relocation expenses. No doubt we'll also help to land her another job and have people that can help her with financial planning.

I appreciate the replies.

Just adding the below that I noticed in the North thread.

This explains why the figures are much larger (whether 300k is accurate, who knows). Someone could correct me on this, but theoretically, an AFLW player could earn 1mil in a season as one of the players at their club who is outside the ASA cap. Of course, it would need to be justifiable, so they'd probably be in a bunch of TV ads and on heaps of billboards etc.

Presumably, the Pies have two other players (Davey and Bonnici/Schleicher/Allen) already filling the out-of-the-cap ASA slots and therefore the best they could offer Molloy may have been Tier 1/2 (if available) and however much of the 100k ASA cap they had free. And of course the shorter contract.

It’s all about the “relocation allowance”.
Nothing says that is inside the cap, has a ceiling….or even needs to be paid at once…
So I’d expect any “extra” is paid via that.

Also…given how hard it was for swans to attract Talent last year, i would t be surprised if the AFL is kicking in to the “relocation expenses”….was typically vague in the way it was announced.

This interview doesn't sit well with me. Gosh I wish we were playing the swans at vic park, then she'd remember what a real loud crowd is like

You look at Melbourne, and they didn't lose any of their players over their key players, because they are focused on team success for each other, unfortunately in another interview l saw Molloy do on the fox footy AFLW show, she just talked about the reasons for leaving Collingwood, and it was all about her legacy and what mark she can make in women's footy and leave behind.
To me she doesn't seem to desperate or real hungry to taste the ultimate team success, hence why she went to Sydney, a team that didn't win one game in season 7, it seems more about her being looked upon as a trailblazer and hero in the women's game. I gathered its more about herself than the actual team she's playing for....

You look at Melbourne, and they didn't lose any of their players over their key players, because they are focused on team success for each other, unfortunately in another interview l saw Molloy do on the fox footy AFLW show, she just talked about the reasons for leaving Collingwood, and it was all about her legacy and what mark she can make in women's footy and leave behind.
To me she doesn't seem to desperate or real hungry to taste the ultimate team success, hence why she went to Sydney, a team that didn't win one game in season 7, it seems more about her being looked upon as a trailblazer and hero in the women's game. I gathered its more about herself than the actual team she's playing for....
That is just smokescreen for a Gary Ablett type offer that she couldn't pass up.

Let's just look at what Sydney weree allowed to do versus us:
Contract Length: Sydney 4 years, Pies 2 years.
Salary per annum: Sydney $71,935, Pies $71,935.
Relocation payment: Sydney Yes, Pies No.
NOTE: Relocation payment sits outside the cap and the AFLW did not provide clear rules as to how much relocation could be paid.

If you believe the rumours Molloy is on 4 x $200K = $800K at the swans, pies could only offer $143,870 for 2 years with no guarantee after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no grudge with Chloe. Desperately wish she had stayed at the Pies, but in no way am I critical of her for taking a huge offer and being one of the higher paid AFLW players. She’s a trailblazer in that way, and it’s her future.

That is just smokescreen for a Gary Ablett type offer that she couldn't pass up.

Let's just look at what Sydney weree allowed to do versus us:
Contract Length: Sydney 4 years, Pies 2 years.
Salary per annum: Sydney $71,935, Pies $71,935.
Relocation payment: Sydney Yes, Pies No.
NOTE: Relocation payment sits outside the cap and the AFLW did not provide clear rules as to how much relocation could be paid.

If you believe the rumours Molloy is on 4 x $200K = $800K at the swans, pies could only offer $143,870 for 2 years with no guarantee after that.
Well said. And let’s be honest her football never spoke imo. She was a flashy in and out player that didn’t look like she was going to take the next step.

We are going to probably struggle for a while, she wouldn’t have made much of a difference.

Guys what did we get for Molloy going to Sydney?
Did we get anything at all?
The AFLW noted that:

"Thursday 9 March
  • PSP compensation determined"

And pre the PSP the posted favourable articles to belay fears

"I support one of the established clubs. Will my team lose players for nothing?
While it definitely hurts to see players leave your club, it won't be for nothing. Compensation will be provided to those sides who lose players via the PSP period in the form of draft picks. Those draft picks, however, will not be for this upcoming 2023 draft which will only include overage players. Instead, those compensation picks will be for the draft ahead of season nine, which arguably makes them more valuable."

"When will we know what that compensation looks like?
Compensation will be decided by the AFLW List Committee upon the conclusion of the PSP."

However the AFLW administration have announced nothing!
It is almost SIX MONTHS! since they where supposed to "determine" compensation!

Also, now hey are watering down the 2023 draft by:

"There's a chance some of the very top talent – including Lauren Young, Shineah Goody, Laura Stone and Alyssia Pisano – could skip the draft entirely, eligible for pre-signing by expansion clubs."

So basically the AFLW administration is incompetent and I'm surprised that no one is raising it.

So basically the AFLW administration is incompetent and I'm surprised that no one is raising it.

I think it has been raised, although perhaps not the issues identified above. One of the high profile AFLW players recently said something about a reluctance to criticise the women's game, or perhaps by default, the women's competition administration. Caroline Wison also wrote an article recently which described the competition as being in a mess.

If you look at the girls we drafted in the first two years (Chloe in year two), and those who were good but who have left for other clubs, we could have been a powerhouse. I hate to think what we'd be like without Davey (who we recruited in year 3).

‘There had to be change’: Why Molloy had to leave Collingwood​

‘There had to be change’: Why Molloy had to leave Collingwood

Molloy declares there’s not a hint of malice or drop of bad blood between her and her old side.

Is she brave enough to ask what us supporters think when she crosses the white line on Sunday? ... well for me anyway.

I'm always understanding people are people, and opportunities come around and should be taken if the fit is right. BUT * ME!!! .... come gameday I hope the entire team work her over...... "within" the rules of course. 😝

‘There had to be change’: Why Molloy had to leave Collingwood​

‘There had to be change’: Why Molloy had to leave Collingwood

Molloy declares there’s not a hint of malice or drop of bad blood between her and her old side.

Is she brave enough to ask what us supporters think when she crosses the white line on Sunday? ... well for me anyway.

I'm always understanding people are people, and opportunities come around and should be taken if the fit is right. BUT * ME!!! .... come gameday I hope the entire team work her over...... "within" the rules of course.

Weird article and a lot of spin. Don’t take the few supporters that have been there since day dot as dummies Chloe.

You left for a bigger contract and that’s fine. Don’t play it out as a personal character building reason you went.

The AFLW is alienating those that supported it day one. Poorly handled by the administration

Offering contract lengths other clubs can’t match ? Come on now

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back