Oppo Camp Chloe Molloy

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointed, big fan of the way she played at Collingwood.

Rumours of some other big name players leaving us too, like Lambert, McCann and even Chocchi

Might be a rebuild next season

I'll have a grumble about the determination of the league to create a shallow talent pool and the facilitated poaching of a marquee player, that these things will hamper the AFLW.

Then I'll say all the best to Molloy, who was an enjoyable part of the Pies for 5 years.

Last edited:

From the fan perspective I will miss Chloe badly.

The team will miss her even more as one of our few goal kickers and an X factor player.

But as a female athlete plying her trade, I hope she is being well remunerated. Hell, she might even now be fully professional, and able to earn her living from playing footy - which she is exceptionally good at.

Love you Chloe, and all the best.

She's dead to me. I blame AFL for allowing a club like sydney to offer a 4 year deal on big marquee money.

But we'll be fine.
maybe she's doing a GAJ and moving to expansion to take massive coin.

Then return after 4 years (much wealthier) and finish her career at the pies..... :)

I can’t begrudge her trying to earn more money. 95% of the AFLW girls earn a pittance - and that’s after the pay rise they got in 2022.

Blame the AFL, blame the system, but don’t blame a young woman who is trying to make her way in the world doing what she’s good at.

For her first four years at the Pies, she would have earned $40k per year. It went up last year, but not by a whole lot.

If she is getting a big pay day in Sydney, then good luck to her. It’s nothing like a top male player chasing dollars and going from $700k to $900k.

She is trying to make a decent living - not luxury living.

I think this actually makes it more difficult to follow an AFLW team.

I don't blame Molloy at all. How the AFLW feel it's great for the promotion and support of the game to allow a club to lose 4 top players with no compensation is staggering.

I don't blame Molloy at all. How the AFLW feel it's great for the promotion and support of the game to allow a club to lose 4 top players with no compensation is staggering.

It’s the biggest own goal yet from the AFL. Agree it’s very hard to maintain a genuine interest in the AFLW when teams can be raided in this way. It was bad enough that we lost some of our best girls in the early years, which significantly hampered our development. And now, after clawing our way back into being at least a half decent side, it’s happened again. It’s distressing.

The AFL might want to build the women’s comp interstate - but at the expense of losing support for the Melbourne based clubs? Doesn’t make sense.

I’ve seen young boys at the AFLW games with Chloe’s number on their backs. The support was growing and broadening. Will that be sustained with this going on?

The scale of player movements at the start of each season has killed my interest in the women's game. I started off really keen, and wanting to know who our players were in the same way I did the men's team. I don't have a clue who they are now, and the latest move of one I knew from the start in the name of expansion tells me not to bother, and I won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFLW feels more and more like a botched surgery.

The development of the competition was always going to be a painstaking operation, one that had to be connected to and built upon the sustained growth of grassroots football.

Create a larger talent pool, develop the talent, and everything would flow from that.

But that approach is too much of a slow-burn for the AFLW. They want to stretch current capacity to breaking point.

I went to the inaugural game v Carlton, I felt the optimism at the time, and now I feel neither optimism nor connection.

I actually shouldn't be too disappointed Chole Molloy has departed, as l did say we should look at possibly trading her, and look to benefit from her value now. To me she was just consistently inconsistent each season. She would start the season of well, but the go missing in alot of games in the middle to later part of the season.
I just don't think she had the fitness to be consistently good for a whole season, plus she is hampered with back issues.
Hopefully we get decent compensation and get another Eliza James, Jordyn Allen, Lauren Butler or a young gun version of Bri Davey.....

Agree. Really hard to give a Stuff when Players are Moving all the Time

The scale of player movements at the start of each season has killed my interest in the women's game. I started off really keen, and wanting to know who our players were in the same way I did the men's team. I don't have a clue who they are now, and the latest move of one I knew from the start in the name of expansion tells me not to bother, and I won't.

Same. I might watch the 1st game or 2 but then lose Intrest and also lot of Changes to list make it hard to have a Favorite Player

It’s the biggest own goal yet from the AFL. Agree it’s very hard to maintain a genuine interest in the AFLW when teams can be raided in this way. It was bad enough that we lost some of our best girls in the early years, which significantly hampered our development. And now, after clawing our way back into being at least a half decent side, it’s happened again. It’s distressing.

The AFL might want to build the women’s comp interstate - but at the expense of losing support for the Melbourne based clubs? Doesn’t make sense.

I’ve seen young boys at the AFLW games with Chloe’s number on their backs. The support was growing and broadening. Will that be sustained with this going on?
Exactly. And as a club, how do you plan ahead with your team? You can't possibly develop a group of young players together over 3 years to build into a premiership contender when these players can be raided at any time.

I think it's offensive to the players. It's almost like the competition isn't being taken as seriously as it should. Maybe too many teams at this stage?
Maybe they need to revamp the whole thing and not have traditional clubs? Could the teams be privately owned? Maybe too early, but the competition doesn't need to follow the way the men's comp is run. Same game and rules, but tailor the entertainment for instance.

I'd love to understand the medium and long term strategy.

I actually shouldn't be too disappointed Chole Molloy has departed, as l did say we should look at possibly trading her, and look to benefit from her value now. To me she was just consistently inconsistent each season. She would start the season of well, but the go missing in alot of games in the middle to later part of the season.
I just don't think she had the fitness to be consistently good for a whole season, plus she is hampered with back issues.
Hopefully we get decent compensation and get another Eliza James, Jordyn Allen, Lauren Butler or a young gun version of Bri Davey.....

Still our Best Player

I don't think there is any compensation. We can lose 4 players for nothing I believe to the bottom teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back