Asia China's growing influence

Remove this Banner Ad

Go to actual China, not the losing side in a war

Going to both China and the independent democratic nation of Taiwan allows you to enjoy the many different parts of Chinese culture which is worthy of great respect. You just need to be very careful about what you say or photo in Xis dictatorship.

In Taiwan you can also see the indigenous culture that survives and unlike mainland Chinese minority groups suffering in re-education camps is flourishing. (Taiwan were not perfect by any means but have moved forward in their treatment of minorities unlike China which has regressed as Xi exerts more power in response to his growing list of failures)

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tonga is facing up to paying off its debt to the PRC, its been delayed but now needs to be paid off over the next 5 years.
Circumstances have not been kind to Tonga, with the cyclones in 2018 and 2020, the Covid 19 pandemic, and then the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai volcanic eruption and tsunami.

Tonga is facing up to paying off its debt to the PRC, its been delayed but now needs to be paid off over the next 5 years.
Circumstances have not been kind to Tonga, with the cyclones in 2018 and 2020, the Covid 19 pandemic, and then the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai volcanic eruption and tsunami.
The folly of doing business with China.

Yet barely 18 months ago.....

China’s ambassador to Tonga has denied engaging in “debt trap” diplomacy in the Pacific, saying in his first press conference in two years that if the heavily indebted country cannot repay its loans, “we can talk and negotiate in a friendly, diplomatic manner”.

Cao Xiaolin told Tuesday’s gathering in Nuku’alofa – a rare opportunity for journalists to question Chinese officials – that preferential loans from China came with “no political strings attached” and that Beijing would never force countries to repay the loans.

I wonder what port or airfield they plan to seize....

China’s ambassador to Tonga has denied engaging in “debt trap” diplomacy in the Pacific, saying in his first press conference in two years that if the heavily indebted country cannot repay its loans, “we can talk and negotiate in a friendly, diplomatic manner”.

Cao Xiaolin told Tuesday’s gathering in Nuku’alofa – a rare opportunity for journalists to question Chinese officials – that preferential loans from China came with “no political strings attached” and that Beijing would never force countries to repay the loans.

Population scam as well I wonder what would be said if we implied Pacifiic islanders could learn from our hard work ethic (eg. called them lazy)

"In a country with few jobs, Tongans worry that Chinese immigrants are now running most of the corner groceries and are expanding their business interests into farming and construction.

Wang acknowledges the criticism that Chinese immigrants run many businesses but said Tonga’s leaders recognise the contribution they make and have even called on Tongans to learn from their hard-work ethic."

No sympathy for Tonga.
The folly of getting into with China and they was warned

No sympathy for Tonga.
The folly of getting into with China and they was warned
I have sympathy. They are a beautiful people with a very resource poor country that only manages because of remittances sent home. I can see $120 million dollars from the Chinese would have been very tempting. I did a medial education thing with Ausaid nearly 30 year ago at Vaiola Hospital in Nuku'alofa, one of the most amazing things was the nurses would sing their thanks after a session. Beautiful choral voices.

I have sympathy. They are a beautiful people with a very resource poor country that only manages because of remittances sent home. I can see $120 million dollars from the Chinese would have been very tempting. I did a medial education thing with Ausaid nearly 30 year ago at Vaiola Hospital in Nuku'alofa, one of the most amazing things was the nurses would sing their thanks after a session. Beautiful choral voices.
They was warned not to get in bed with China, but they ignored the advice.
Other countries in the region need to take note

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Population scam as well I wonder what would be said if we implied Pacifiic islanders could learn from our hard work ethic (eg. called them lazy)

"In a country with few jobs, Tongans worry that Chinese immigrants are now running most of the corner groceries and are expanding their business interests into farming and construction.

Wang acknowledges the criticism that Chinese immigrants run many businesses but said Tonga’s leaders recognise the contribution they make and have even called on Tongans to learn from their hard-work ethic."

It’s part of the Chinese/ yellow privilege card - often can denounce other groups as lacking a hard work ethic but somehow not get called racist.

Another reason not to trust China
just keeping tabs on his investment I reckon :winkv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back