Test Changes for... India 23 Edition + Post-match chat...

Remove this Banner Ad

Who said Cummins needs to bat 8. Lyon should be 8, we know he can hold a bat, Kuhemann's FC average is 18, Murphy isn't a bunny. Cummins can bat 10 or 11. You have to pick your best bowlers. If you pick a bowler based on batting they might make 10 extra runs then get carted all over the ground when bowling.
Exactly, Nesers not tinning up with the bat, but he could with the ball.

I'd be running with the below. Renshaw over Warner (forward looking), Green (Starc if not fit), extra batting depth with Carey at 8. Relying on 4 bowlers with Head coming in as a solid 5th option.

Khawaja
Renshaw
Labu
Smith
Head
Handscomb
Green
Carey
Cummins
Lyon
Murphy

I like the 3 spinner thinking, but I do worry about the potential load on Green - he doesn’t bowl many overs at full fitness, not sure how he’ll handle it with limited prep.
It's not likely he'll need to bowl alot of overs. Mayde 12 to 13. He is bowling at full pace but they are worried about his finger batting. To me, got got through facing Nortje and Rabada, his finger will have improved alot since, even if not 100%, plus he'll be facing spin mostly anyway. It's our best balance for the conditions. We died on our arse in the Indian heat with just 4 bowlers in the First Test, as they went from 7/240 to 400, and need a 5th bowler.

Yes, but our bowlers were absolutely stuffed in the conditions, making it easy for India. Those conditions are nothing we feel here in this country. That's why an all-rounder is so important just to share some bowling duties. Plus Lyon bowled the dumbest and worst I have seen from him in 115 Test. Had a patch outside the leftie's off stump and bowled darts at middle and leg.

We should have been there earlier. They may not have given us the pitches we want to train on but importantly we would have acclimatised to the stifling weather conditions.

Doesn’t that come back to squad selection then? The squad was poorly selected but somehow these selectors are getting a free pass.

Agree on Lyon bowling middle and leg was stupid beyond belief why did it take a rookie to bowl at the stumps?

Agreed, but he may need to bowl 15+ potentially, which he’s not done often (ever?)

When he got his 5 for he did. Think we are done with limitations on his bowling we just haven’t needed his bowling

I'd be running with the below. Renshaw over Warner (forward looking), Green (Starc if not fit), extra batting depth with Carey at 8. Relying on 4 bowlers with Head coming in as a solid 5th option.

Khawaja
Renshaw
Labu
Smith
Head
Handscomb
Green
Carey
Cummins
Lyon
Murphy

Not the worst idea I’ve heard only thing I worry and yes I know they are different to a degree but 3 off spinners?

Probably, but we’d need Cummins to be back on song/not over bowl himself. Like I said I’m not against the 3 spinner selection, just slightly concerned.

If anything he underbowled himself took for ages to bring him on in that large partnership especially with Lyon bowling horribly

Green just makes these line ups look so much better (whilst still with concerns) goddamn we missed him.

What’s the verdict on this 2nd pitch, how’s it usually play? I mean aside from shit which is to be expected…

Is there any merit to Handscomb opening? It’d be a bit left field but geez it’d be nice to have someone up top we could put a reasonable amount of expectation in him valuing his wicket and somewhat protecting the middle order. I just think we’re gonna have dramas if we go to Head first up & would much prefer him in the middle order, but in saying that it’s the most likely option to get Warner out of the side so I’m all for it on that reasoning.

Ussie
Head
Marny
Smith
Green
Handscomb
Carey
Gaz
Murphy
Cummins
Kuhnemann (or Agar)

I like it, seems a lot stronger than test 1.

The suggestion above for Head to be our 5th bowler really strengthens our batting line up but geez it’s putting a lot of trust in Gaz & Cummins turning their shit around, Murphy backing it up and Green starting well. Could find us in deep shit again watching their tail put on 200 whilst everyone else is knackered. But again it’s a risk that might be worth taking? And I want to see us try and win this flipping test so if that’s the way we see it happening then **** it go for it.

Renshaw
Ussie
Marny
Smith
Head
Green
Handscomb
Carey
Gaz
Murphy
Cummins

Batting is a hell of a lot stronger, and all we’ve lost from the bowling line up is swapping Boland for Green and gained probably our best part timer spinner in Head.

Is Renshaw even fit? I dunno what to do at this stage to be honest but I hope we’re leaning to one of the above line ups

Yeah its a worry, not totally opposed to Kuhnemann in for Lyon. Plenty of ways selectors can go but weaknesses keep appearing.

Yeah I do like the merit in lengthening the batting. Head is a very handy spinner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anything he underbowled himself took for ages to bring him on in that large partnership especially with Lyon bowling horribly
He overbowled himself, he had Boland bowling well (and reversing it at times) and himself bowling poorly yet kept with himself mostly. He’s a gun, so it won’t be problem often.

He also overbowled Lyon badly.

He overbowled himself, he had Boland bowling well (and reversing it at times) and himself bowling poorly yet kept with himself mostly. He’s a gun, so it won’t be problem often.

He also overbowled Lyon badly.

Early on he did but not when the partnership was going and yes could have brought Boland back either one. Also didn’t bowl enough part timers

Early on he did but not when the partnership was going and yes could have brought Boland back either one. Also didn’t bowl enough part timers
I’d say should’ve rather. Yeah, could’ve used part timers better, but they are part timers and need to be treated as such.

They are but Lab looked decent.
Part timers often look decent until they don’t, it’s why they need to be treated as such. Don’t mind using them though to give the main bowlers a quick spell/ try something out. Agree they could’ve been used better but so could all of the bowlers. It was poor captaincy

What the hell has happened to his batting? Was a genuinely decent lower order bat, he’s pulling a Stuart Broad.

Only thing I can think of he doesn’t practice it. Now his bowling has improved for sure but he’s a dead set bunny with the bat after being close to a genuine 7-8 earlier

Surely can't go with Cummins & Green as your only 2 pacers considering Green is coming from a long injury lay off.

Iyer is back in the squad for India, potentially replacing SKY.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back