Test Changes for... India 23 Edition + Post-match chat...

Remove this Banner Ad

Boland bowled a few tight overs but cost us 50+ as he can’t catch and definitely can’t bat! I honestly don’t think we need more than Cummins OR Starc as a quick. I’d personally have sent Neser over too as he does Boland’s job but bats a lot better.

Neser would also be making **** all on that pitch - he bats well for a bowler at Shield and BBL level, he’s not plundering runs against Ashwin and Jadeja lol. Picking bowlers for a boost of 5-10 runs batting is not smart.

Love all the ex players coming out saying we need a 'harder edge' or to 'play/win harder', what a load of rubbish, we simply don't have batters that can play in these conditions, apart from Smith who is elite, and Marnus who I'm confident will make scores this series. We don't play in these conditions often enough (in longer format), we don't train in these conditions, it's no wonder we look like we can't make a total. We also don't have the spin quality to roll India for low scores.

Simply, it's bloody hard to win in India, although capitulations like the first test are just not on, really need to try and remain competitive for the remainder of the series, find a way to scrounge a total, and hope Murphy/Lyon/??? can work together well.

100% agree. For all the wank over Border and how tough he played, I thought I heard that he never won a test in India as a player. So what’s it matter?

Ultimately the best spinners and best players of spin in the world (India) won a spin-friendly match. Not rocket science.

IMO Lance Morris pace is vastly overstated. The bloke gets talked about like he's our version of Mark Wood or Anrich Nortje but from what I've seen he's more of a 145kmh bowler. I don't think he'll be consistently at 150kmh at Test level.

Neser would also be making * all on that pitch - he bats well for a bowler at Shield and BBL level, he’s not plundering runs against Ashwin and Jadeja lol. Picking bowlers for a boost of 5-10 runs batting is not smart.

He'd be making more than our captain or the other 3 number 11's we have picked. It is a huge issue you need bowlers who can bat especially in India. If only Agar could bowl.

Neser would also be making * all on that pitch - he bats well for a bowler at Shield and BBL level, he’s not plundering runs against Ashwin and Jadeja lol. Picking bowlers for a boost of 5-10 runs batting is not smart.
Ah, the Joe Mennie method, didn’t work out that time either!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's a single bowler in Australian cricket that is less suited to Indian conditions than Michael Neser (that's at the requisite level, at least).

Next Test open with Head against the new ball, replacing Warner, that way he starts against pace. Play Green to share fast bowling duties with Cummins and pick the 3 spinners, Murphy, Lyon, and Kuhnemann.

Lyon best be bowling with more brains than the last Test. It's simple, índia showed us how. Do the same! You can still flight the ball in India and bowl the right line.

Probably agree, he averaged 50 in India so can't see him doing anything, save him for England, his been pretty poor in England as well, let him go in fresh and see how he goes.

Would much rather Boland, Jhye, etc in England. Pace isn't really important over there it's line and length. Chris Woakes is unplayable over there and he's military medium/ just above.

Next Test open with Head against the new ball, replacing Warner, that way he starts against pace. Play Green to share fast bowling duties with Cummins and pick the 3 spinners, Murphy, Lyon, and Kuhnemann.

Lyon best be bowling with more brains than the last Test. It's simple, índia showed us how. Do the same! You can still flight the ball in India and bowl the right line.

Only thing I worry is boy jeez that's a LONG tail! Cummins at 8 jeepers

Unfortunately, you can't pick a bowler for that reason.

Normally yes, and usually I'm completely against it but if quicks are useless why not pick the one who can bat. I feel we could have gambled on a batting AR that bowls spin. I'd also have liked Chris Green in this squad, not saying he's a worldbeater with the bat but he's no bunny.

Half the reason India won was their bats from 7-10. They put on 200+. You can’t have bunnies in these conditions. It’s why I feel we have a huge issue none of our spinners can bat bat Agar and his bowling is terrible.
Yes, but our bowlers were absolutely stuffed in the conditions, making it easy for India. Those conditions are nothing we feel here in this country. That's why an all-rounder is so important just to share some bowling duties. Plus Lyon bowled the dumbest and worst I have seen from him in 115 Test. Had a patch outside the leftie's off stump and bowled darts at middle and leg.

We should have been there earlier. They may not have given us the pitches we want to train on but importantly we would have acclimatised to the stifling weather conditions.

I like the 3 spinner thinking, but I do worry about the potential load on Green - he doesn’t bowl many overs at full fitness, not sure how he’ll handle it with limited prep.

I like the 3 spinner thinking, but I do worry about the potential load on Green - he doesn’t bowl many overs at full fitness, not sure how he’ll handle it with limited prep.
60+ overs from spin most days with the three you'd think

Only thing I worry is boy jeez that's a LONG tail! Cummins at 8 jeepers
Who said Cummins needs to bat 8. Lyon should be 8, we know he can hold a bat, Kuhemann's FC average is 18, Murphy isn't a bunny. Cummins can bat 10 or 11. You have to pick your best bowlers. If you pick a bowler based on batting they might make 10 extra runs then get carted all over the ground when bowling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back