Meltdown Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually all the recent metrics suggest otherwise. Much like the pies run last year, outside of the pies no one believed. Blues the same, 1 good quarter from anyone they play from here on, the wheels will most likely be flying off. The last 4 games although a few wins, blues have been horrible in periods of those games.
We found a way to get into the finals when all seemed lost. I'm happy enough with where Carlton are at right now.

Our attempt at winning the flag, will depend on how many of our main players are fit and ready for the finals imo.

You only won the one flag out of them though post 1990.:D
That’s not the definition of ‘shitting the bed’ though, is it?

Just because we were far more successful and competitive than Carlton, doesn’t mean we ‘shat the bed’. Which GF are you referring to? The ones against the greatest side in the modern era or the one where we were outplayed for 3.5 quarters by an equally worthy winner?

Bragging about a home and away win over a year after the fact, obviously not much success lately for the Pies. I moved on from our win over the Pies the week after, they were simply another win apart of our streak.
Where have you been all year. We were the side, with a difficult draw, who finished on top of the ladder. Far more meaningful than a premiership which is basically the side that gets lucky in September.

In 1990 we were not the best side in it but won the premiership. We got lucky. In 1970 we would have won 9 out of every 10 Grand finals against Carlton that year but had the 1 day when we were unlucky. Ditto 1972 with Richmond.

Many years ago Sunderland, a 3rd division side, defeated Liverpool to win the FA Cup. They got lucky on the 1 day of the year. In England, the real premiership is regarded as the side that finishes on top after the home and away.

Collingwood lead Carlton 20 to 17 on that stat. With Premierships, I often think of the song Peggy Lee made famous "Is that all there is?"

That’s not the definition of ‘shitting the bed’ though, is it?

Just because we were far more successful and competitive than Carlton, doesn’t mean we ‘shat the bed’. Which GF are you referring to? The ones against the greatest side in the modern era or the one where we were outplayed for 3.5 quarters by an equally worthy winner?
You've only won four grand finals out of twenty four attempts since 1936! Does that not tell you something mate?

I see that basic mathematics are a problem for you as well. We're ahead of you in the only category that counts i.e. the premiership tally.;)

Stick your participation ribbons where the sun don't shine mate. Those things mean nothing at Carlton. Give me a flag and a grand final win any day.;)

It requires effort to make them. How did Carlton go in each of those years when Collingwood was playing off in finals series after finals series?
To be fair , Carlton were generally winning them , not so much just participation , but actually winning them against your mob .
If they were handing out participation medals , collingwood would win hands down. Congratulations

Where have you been all year. We were the side, with a difficult draw, who finished on top of the ladder. Far more meaningful than a premiership which is basically the side that gets lucky in September.

In 1990 we were not the best side in it but won the premiership. We got lucky. In 1970 we would have won 9 out of every 10 Grand finals against Carlton that year but had the 1 day when we were unlucky. Ditto 1972 with Richmond.

Many years ago Sunderland, a 3rd division side, defeated Liverpool to win the FA Cup. They got lucky on the 1 day of the year. In England, the real premiership is regarded as the side that finishes on top after the home and away.

Collingwood lead Carlton 20 to 17 on that stat. With Premierships, I often think of the song Peggy Lee made famous "Is that all there is?"
Sunderland didn't win it mate. Liverpool were actually lucky enough to win that 1992 FA Cup though. They barely scraped past a load of teams from outside the top flight that year.

This ain't the english premier league though. In AFL you have to win the grand final to prove your worth.

It's not just the flags mate. We're older than you, we have more class and sophistication than you, and we have a nicer guernsey as well.;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've only won four grand finals out of twenty four attempts since 1936! Does that not tell you something mate?

You can look at it in many ways. I can see where you’re choosing to take it.

Pies stayed competitive and made a GF every 3.5 years across the last 86 years. That’s a pretty solid effort if you don’t mind me saying. You might call it ‘shitting the bed’, and that’s okay, but doesn’t make your version of the truth anymore accurate.

Granted, there were a few GFs in there that Collingwood lost from winnable positions that warrant the claim we shat the bed, but not all 24 GFs, so I don’t get why you’re trying to ‘s**t’ on that achievement of a club that stayed competitive and won more games than any other side across almost a whole century.

I also don’t understand why you’ve chosen an arbitrary figure of 86 years - could it be because we won a shitload of GFs in the years prior that you don’t want to include?

I see that basic mathematics are a problem for you as well. We're ahead of you in the only category that counts i.e. the premiership tally.;)

My maths is just fine. I’m just not biting or subscribing to your attempts to s**t stir, just like you do the same when I mock the fact Carlton haven’t won a flag in my entire adult life. That brings me great joy, but I don’t try use maths to prove you wrong, do I?

Stick your participation ribbons where the sun don't shine mate. Those things mean nothing at Carlton. Give me a flag and a grand final win any day.;)

Call it participation ribbons, or whatever, but just accept the fact Collingwood has been up and about for a lot longer than Carlton can dream. You’ve got more flags than us, but that may change in 4 weeks time, so enjoy these 4 weeks whilst you can. The trend of us being better for longer is seeing your relic of a club slowly becoming irrelevant and that probably scares the s**t out of you.

To be fair , Carlton were generally winning them , not so much just participation , but actually winning them against your mob .
If they were handing out participation medals , collingwood would win hands down. Congratulations
Like I said before, enjoy the title of being #1 for a few more weeks, as you may not be alone at the top of the mountain for much longer. Then you won’t have anything to brag about when trying to compare to the greatest club in VFL/AFL history. Carlton becomes #2 - does that scare you?

You can look at it in many ways. I can see where you’re choosing to take it.

Pies stayed competitive and made a GF every 3.5 years across the last 86 years. That’s a pretty solid effort if you don’t mind me saying. You might call it ‘shitting the bed’, and that’s okay, but doesn’t make your version of the truth anymore accurate.

Granted, there were a few GFs in there that Collingwood lost from winnable positions that warrant the claim we shat the bed, but not all 24 GFs, so I don’t get why you’re trying to ‘s**t’ on that achievement of a club that stayed competitive and won more games than any other side across almost a whole century.

I also don’t understand why you’ve chosen an arbitrary figure of 86 years - could it be becomes we won a shitload of GFs in the years prior that you don’t want to include?

My maths is just fine. I’m just not biting or subscribing to your attempts to s**t stir, just like you do the same when I mock the fact Carlton haven’t won a flag in my entire adult life. That brings me great joy, but I don’t try use maths to prove you wrong, do I?

Call it participation ribbons, or whatever, but just accept the fact Collingwood has been up and about for a lot longer than Carlton can dream. You’ve got more flags than us, but that may change in 4 weeks time, so enjoy these 4 weeks whilst you can. The trend of us being better for longer is seeing your relic of a club slowly becoming irrelevant and that probably scares the s**t out of you.
You just don't get it mate. In terms of winning premierships your club has been a total and utter irrelevance since 1936.;)

Your club has only two grand finals wins that were captured on colour tv after all.;)

Like I said before, enjoy the title of being #1 for a few more weeks, as you may not be alone at the top of the mountain for much longer. Then you won’t have anything to brag about when trying to compare to the greatest club in VFL/AFL history. Carlton becomes #2 - does that scare you?
You forgot about the VFA/Victorian era flags. That'll come into play in that scenario.;)

You just don't get it mate. In terms of winning premierships your club has been a total and utter irrelevance since 1936.;)

Your club has only two grand finals wins that were captured on colour tv after all.;)
Things that have happened since Carlton actually won a flag, let alone two -

1, 9/11 attack happened.
2, First Lord of the Rings was released.
3, The Euro didn’t exist as a currency.
4, East Timor gained its independence.
5, Arny came and left as Governor of California.
6, Facebook didn’t exist.
7, We’ve had 2 popes since.
8, iPhone didn’t exist.
9, Bitcoin didn’t exist.
10, Bulls went on to win a record 72/80 in a season.
11, Martin Bryant/Port Arthur massacre hasn’t occurred.
12, Independence Day (the original version) hadn’t been released yet.
13, Hotmail began a free email service.
14, Tupac was still alive.
15, Nintendo 64 hadn't been released.

All these are after Carlton last won a premiership.

Let that sink in.

How does Carlton become number 2 , if collingwood happen to draw level this year ? Carlton would still have a better head to head grand final record. That would keep them on top.

Things that have happened since Carlton actually won a flag, let alone two -

1, 9/11 attack happened.
2, First Lord of the Rings was released.
3, The Euro didn’t exist as a currency.
4, East Timor gained its independence.
5, Arny came and left as Governor of California.
6, Facebook didn’t exist.
7, We’ve had 2 popes since.
8, iPhone didn’t exist.
9, Bitcoin didn’t exist.
10, Bulls went on to win a record 72/80 in a season.
11, Martin Bryant/Port Arthur massacre hasn’t occurred.
12, Independence Day (the original version) hadn’t been released yet.
13, Hotmail began a free email service.
14, Tupac was still alive.
15, Nintendo 64 hadn't been released.

All these are after Carlton last won a premiership.

Let that sink in.
Your club has still only won two flags in the last sixty five years though.;)

How does Carlton become number 2 , if collingwood happen to draw level this year ? Carlton would still have a better head to head grand final record. That would keep them on top.
If that makes you feel better, sure.

I think most people will probably say Collingwood since they’ve won more minor premierships, played in more GFs, and won more overall games than Carlton.

If that makes you feel better, sure.

I think most people will probably say Collingwood since they’ve won more minor premierships, played in more GFs, and won more overall games than Carlton.
Time for another presentation sigh.

Carlton have six Victorian/VFA Flags in 1871, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1877 and 1887. That's six of them right there. Collingwood only have one of them from 1896.

So that gives Carlton a grand total of twenty two flags, and Collingwood a grand total of sixteen flags.

Did you ever play that game pass it on at school? Let's play it now!:D Carlton are older and more successful than Collingwood. Pass it on!:D

Time for another presentation sigh.

Carlton have six Victorian/VFA Flags in 1871, 1873, 1874, 1875, 1877 and 1887. That's six of them right there. Collingwood only have one of them from 1896.

So that gives Carlton a grand total of twenty two flags, and Collingwood a grand total of sixteen flags.

Did you ever play that game pass it on at school? Let's play it now!:D Carlton are older and more successful than Collingwood. Pass it on!:D
Wowee - even counting VFA flags now 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back