Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So Lappin has nothing to do with our AFL side.. well that sucks

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
He floats around from club to club on the Gold Coast. For whatever it's worth, Skinny doesn't have a great rep here, hence the frequent shifting from clubs. I've not seen anything first hand, but I've heard plenty from several different folks. Even the Sharks moved him on.

Sunny plays hard despite her Lappin shaped frame. Last game I saw her play iirc she kicked 3 in a qtr

Lucas is sh*te and Ben is sh*ter? Bad for us but good for the bidding, I guess. :think:
Ummm, the team they were playing in was the AFL Academy team AKA the Australian under 18 team. Yet you happily label them as sh*te. They were in the top handful of possession earners, and you label them sh*te.

You are taking cues from posters setting themselves up as draft authorities who, unfortunately are prone to very subjective opinions based on very little. We need to be objective assessing kids. Already this season we have had AFL debutantes who have considerably outperformed their underage showings. All assessments should be made with a grain of salt, room for improvement or indeed falling away.

Ben and Lucas are both showing AFL qualities. The step up is a steep one and is based on ability, attitude AND work ethic, along with other unpredictable aspects such as durability/health issues and life influences. That applies to all potential draftees.

To date, there are no glaring flaws with either boy, their output has been excellent, but there is certainly room for improvement in areas on display. They are genuinely in the top 30-40 kids in the country. Where they sit within that range is yet to play out.

The only go slow for me, is the need to add specific types of players to our mix. Committing to the boys does not give us electric pace or a developing tall. I embrace the father/son concept and they are both good enough and seemingly good kids. I really want to see them in navy blue, but Austin and co. also need to create avenues to “completing” the list. We absolutely need a Ben inside/outside mid or half back type for the future, Lucas also gives the impression of having elite kicking and vision, while a bit “LOB like” his kicking looks better than his efficiency on display to date. A distributing half back or winger is certainly on our wish list too with the age bracket of Acres, Saad, Williams and Newman along with Doc. Other priorities will surely be considered. While we may be able to get them for less than first rounder value, it is highly possible we only have two live picks in the draft with list pressures and the lack of out of contract players.

Ummm, the team they were playing in was the AFL Academy team AKA the Australian under 18 team. Yet you happily label them as sh*te. They were in the top handful of possession earners, and you label them sh*te.

You are taking cues from posters setting themselves up as draft authorities who, unfortunately are prone to very subjective opinions based on very little. We need to be objective assessing kids. Already this season we have had AFL debutantes who have considerably outperformed their underage showings. All assessments should be made with a grain of salt, room for improvement or indeed falling away.

Ben and Lucas are both showing AFL qualities. The step up is a steep one and is based on ability, attitude AND work ethic, along with other unpredictable aspects such as durability/health issues and life influences. That applies to all potential draftees.

To date, there are no glaring flaws with either boy, their output has been excellent, but there is certainly room for improvement in areas on display. They are genuinely in the top 30-40 kids in the country. Where they sit within that range is yet to play out.

The only go slow for me, is the need to add specific types of players to our mix. Committing to the boys does not give us electric pace or a developing tall. I embrace the father/son concept and they are both good enough and seemingly good kids. I really want to see them in navy blue, but Austin and co. also need to create avenues to “completing” the list. We absolutely need a Ben inside/outside mid or half back type for the future, Lucas also gives the impression of having elite kicking and vision, while a bit “LOB like” his kicking looks better than his efficiency on display to date. A distributing half back or winger is certainly on our wish list too with the age bracket of Acres, Saad, Williams and Newman along with Doc. Other priorities will surely be considered. While we may be able to get them for less than first rounder value, it is highly possible we only have two live picks in the draft with list pressures and the lack of out of contract players.
Ummm, I was being sarcastic regarding how posters say one thing then suggest another. There was certainly nothing "happy" about it. :huh:

Last edited:
There's a lot to play out & players develop at different rates so it'll be interesting to see how things progress.
Given our side has had issues with players struggling to consistently find the ball, adding a couple that can consistently get their hands on it certainly isn't a bad thing.
If we're able to take our first to target a KPD or forward-mid prior to Ben & Lucas, I'd consider it a good bit of business.

He floats around from club to club on the Gold Coast. For whatever it's worth, Skinny doesn't have a great rep here, hence the frequent shifting from clubs. I've not seen anything first hand, but I've heard plenty from several different folks. Even the Sharks moved him on.

Sunny plays hard despite her Lappin shaped frame. Last game I saw her play iirc she kicked 3 in a qtr
I meant his daughter.

AFLW players have no loyalty so very hard to follow, on top of massive difference in standard.

AFLW players have no loyalty so very hard to follow, on top of massive difference in standard.
Your first comment comes from the lens of a completely mismanaged football club haemorrhaging players for both good and bad reasons, not the league at large.

Your second comment has little regard for how quickly the league will advance (and in some respects should have already).

The only constant here is what to expect from your AFLW-related commentary.

I'm just posting what I am seeing. Is that a crime?

I tried to watch it but couldn't sustain it.

I did notice an improvement last time I tuned in for a bit, but the depth isn't there yet, so it falls away quickly.

Hopefully it can turn around in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Camporeale got thrown around more than any other player. He started the game on a wing, played a lot through the midfield, and then finished the game playing as a defender in the fourth. His work rate was a feature and he cracked in hard in contests, but his disposal wasn't always on point.

Ben seems to favour using the hands a lot in close, I hadn't seen much of him but seems quite composed in tight.
If he could sort out that kicking action I think he'd be a top 10 prospect. Reads the game well and has lovely hands as you mention, good defensively in the games I've watched of his and runs all day.

Ben Camporeale got thrown around more than any other player. He started the game on a wing, played a lot through the midfield, and then finished the game playing as a defender in the fourth. His work rate was a feature and he cracked in hard in contests, but his disposal wasn't always on point.

About half way through I thought "Jeez, barely been a decent kick here at all" but it got better as the game went on. Wonder if he just needed to build into the game. His kicking action seems to launch it a bit loopy which I'm not a fan of.

Edit: on reflection, most of the kicking throughout that game looks a bit loopy, so probably just the camera angle. Must be different to the VFL/AFLW cameras at Princes Park

Last edited:
Good to see Campo senior at the footy with Fev today.

Blues fans looking through their posting history after Scott Camporeale went to *.

1713212616441.jpeg

they have ben at 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back