Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben
Academy11April-40-BEN-CAMPOREALE.jpg

Lucas
Academy11April-41-LUCAS-CAMPOREALE.jpg
Decent size already. Especially Ben.

Do we have the draft capital to secure the twins?
If not, we will have to trade away some players or next years picks for picks this year.

I doubt it will be a problem. At this stage Ben is a mid-late 1st. Even if he elevates himself above that, we can split our first into multiple picks to match given the points system. Watching Lucas the last month, I feel he is unlikely to be taken before the 3rd round so can grab him with a few late picks.

Strategy we obviously be dictated by how the boys go this year and where we finish on the ladder, but I struggle to see a situation where we have to trade future picks forward to get them. We could use future picks to get a 2024 pick upgraded to get ahead of a Ben bid, but thats a different thing.

Do we have the draft capital to secure the twins?
If not, we will have to trade away some players or next years picks for picks this year.
Won't be an issue wherever they go - unless the AFL springs changes on the bid-matching process. It's not hard to trade for points, usually plenty of teams willing to help out.

I doubt it will be a problem. At this stage Ben is a mid-late 1st. Even if he elevates himself above that, we can split our first into multiple picks to match given the points system. Watching Lucas the last month, I feel he is unlikely to be taken before the 3rd round so can grab him with a few late picks.

Strategy we obviously be dictated by how the boys go this year and where we finish on the ladder, but I struggle to see a situation where we have to trade future picks forward to get them. We could use future picks to get a 2024 pick upgraded to get ahead of a Ben bid, but thats a different thing.
On showings to date, spot on. Always subject to change. The SA boys go under the radar a bit, with the VIC boys getting greater hype. Only a mischievous oppo’s recruiter bidding early will be a problem.

I am convinced Cody Walker will match his Dad, hopefully exceed with no physical set backs. Likely around the 190cm and has matched dad’s athleticism (breaking some of the old fella’s school records). Expect versatility to play anywhere.

I'll make a draft 2024 thread soon to talk about the other boys in this years class but hoping the Campo boys can have standout performances today, though have a suspicion they'll play 2nd fiddle to O'Sullivan and Moreas etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben seems to be playing a defensive midfield role, and struggling a bit - Coburg's bigger bodies mids are winning the ball. Lucas is getting a bit more of the ball off wing/half-back. No real standouts from the Academy team for mine. Interested to hear what Arr0w thinks live.
Lombard and Langford eye catchers to date, but yes, no absolute standouts

Academy better in 2nd quarter, though a bit wasteful and still a couple of goals down. Both our boys looked a lot better in the 2nd, prob among the leading possession winners. Lombard looks exciting. Welsh and Smith have class, though neither particularly damaging. Taj Hotton did some nice things. Ashcroft got plenty of it, but disposal a bit suspect.

The brothers both have had plenty of it. Ben in the middle playing the accumulator/link role quite well. Not eye catching, but racking up plenty. Lucas also became more involved through the second quarter. Kicking “looks” great as an outside link type, but just missed a number of targets, so would be nice to tighten up, given many of his possies are not pressured.

Would love Trainor as a KPD if we had a pick in the range.

I mentioned Rowbottom from Sydney as a comparison for Ben early in the year, and perhaps it's just in the Academy he's surrounded by more offensive weapons... But feel like that's pretty accurate. Hard worker, lays blocks and has lovely hands and work rate. Doesn't have the class and penetration that Lucas does from what I've watched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back