Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno if we will, ben seems to be rising as a top ten pick

If Ben makes it to a top ten pick then that's probably a good thing for us as it means we'll be getting a pick 8 player despite only having pick 18. That's ultimately a significant win. Getting another pick above pick 8 would be next to impossible but should Ben fall around 13-14 we can potentially get ahead of that as we've only got to move up 4 spots.

Having watched some of their highlights I can see them both going higher than currently predicted. Both had a few scratchy moments with some early disposals but they cover the ground well, have good hands and are generally good with their disposal. Lucas looks so much like his dad the way he moves. They both look like 200+ game players.

Watched the academy game last week.Both boys are really well developed physically.

Ben is probably the better player. Finds the ball with ease. Needs to tidy up his kicking a bit but reminds me of a prime Jack Steele.

Lucas is probably not a first round pick for me. Kicking action is really odd and seems a little slow for a wingman. But again finds the ball well like his brother.

No idea why we stopped looking for talent in Ireland, still need to pick the right ones but there’s plenty of talent over there.

Until the AFL change the rules, it’s the only “free hit” there is

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I hope they're looking at the girls as well as the guys

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't understand putting 400k into Ireland when it is not your zone. Can't any club pinch the talent Carlton develops?
Short answer, yes.

Remember we have one Irishman already and his mate will join us for next season. This is clearly a quality over quantity exercise. We won’t get them all, but if we somehow get first dibs to cherry-pick the talent it would be a spectacular outcome. Even better if they are more conversant with our game before hitting Terra Australis.

We lament the ability of the Cats to stay at the pointy end of the competition. I don’t want a sugar hit for a year or two. I grew up with Carlton the strongest (arguably) team in the competition for decades. We need to return to status quo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we are aiming to pitch the AFL to allocate portion of Ireland as a Carlton exclusive zone and part of the trip is to draw the map that allocates the talent exclusively to Carlton. Then we try and find a corporate sponsor.

Short answer, yes.

Remember we have one Irishman already and his mate will join us for next season. This is clearly a quality over quantity exercise. We won’t get them all, but if we somehow get first dibs to cherry-pick the talent it would be a spectacular outcome. Even better if they are more conversant with our game before hitting Terra Australis.

We lament the ability of the Cats to stay at the pointy end of the competition. I don’t want a sugar hit for a year or two. I grew up with Carlton the strongest (arguably) team in the competition for decades. We need to return to status quo.
One Stynes and one Touhey please.

I reckon we are aiming to pitch the AFL to allocate portion of Ireland as a Carlton exclusive zone and part of the trip is to draw the map that allocates the talent exclusively to Carlton. Then we try and find a corporate sponsor.
Not sure how that would go down with that the other clubs to be honest and I don’t see much point, all the players from Ireland don’t have to go in the draft and can pick the club they play for already.

The club that puts the most time and $$$$ in to Ireland wil l already get the most players, it’s just identifying them

Tassie is entering the competition soon, probably when we start a list refresh after a few flags (hopefully) around 2030 and they will vacuum up draft picks for 5 years like GWS and the Suns did.

Having access to free hits from Ireland, outside the salary cap as Cat B or Cat A rookies is good if we have a known and existing pathway for their top prospects to come to us first, we only need one or two to work out and you have a player for a decade.

Not sure how that would go down with that the other clubs to be honest and I don’t see much point, all the players from Ireland don’t have to go in the draft and can pick the club they play for already.

The club that puts the most time and $$$$ in to Ireland wil l already get the most players, it’s just identifying them
I thought we already somehow had first refusal. I don't now how we managed that or how long it would apply. I'm thinking it might apply to players we've already contacted.

Correct.

Cook has identified our Academy as an underwhelming endeavour and is seeking to improve it.
Good. We should throw some serious weight behind it.

Are there any boarding schools in our zone?

Need to give some (outstanding) lads scholarships JUH style. He should never have been allowed to go to the dogs. But he has. So let's make use of the same rule.

Good. We should throw some serious weight behind it.

Are there any boarding schools in our zone?

Need to give some (outstanding) lads scholarships JUH style. He should never have been allowed to go to the dogs. But he has. So let's make use of the same rule.

Was JUH to the doggies due to a scholarship? I had heard that he was originally in the Cats zone.

The Dogs have been blessed for talls from academy/FS. Darcy, JUH is an enormous boost to their spine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back