• Availability: Test

Caleb Marchbank (back)

Jack Martin (hamstring)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankBackTest (Update: 7 May)
Jack MartinHamstringTest (Update: 7 May)
Mitch McGovernHamstringTest (Update: 7 May)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)

lol. “Got a knock”. How incredibly unlucky to “get a knock” to the exact part of the body he has endured problems with for years.

Bullshit. He’s clearly struggling with his long term Achilles problem and it’s a week to week mgt proposition.

He had that problem when we signed him to his massive deal.

Love what the club is doing on every single front- except injury mgt and the bullshit way they talk about it.

lol. “Got a knock”. How incredibly unlucky to “get a knock” to the exact part of the body he has endured problems with for years.

Bullshit. He’s clearly struggling with his long term Achilles problem and it’s a week to week mgt proposition.

Love what the club is doing on every single front- except injury mgt and the bullshit way they talk about it.

or maybe, he did just knock it and given his history the club decided to take a precautionary approach?

No doubt he's looked sore the last couple of weeks but what do you want...the club to report on every little bit of soreness a player has and email that directly to our opponents??

Yes, our injury toll is frustrating. Yes, we're entitled to be frustrated at some aspects of injury mgmt but to think supporters are entitled to know EVERY single little issue a player is dealing with is ridiculous.

1. We have a long injury list. We've spent 20 years blaming injury for our performance when really, everyone has injuries and that was never the case, we just were never really that good. Now we are.

2. We are still winning games and we are 4th (equal second) on the AFL ladder. Have a look at the weekend's 23, it looks pretty good, it's just that we can see it looking better.

3. Most of the players on that injury list aren't due to be out too long. 4 are tests, they don't count. 7 out of 10 should be back playing in the next month and we should keep winning.

4. We need to stop going on about the midseason draft. It's not as simple and easy as just going and picking a good player. The players in the midseason draft are rarely good players. Even rarer are they good enough to get a game in a top side like us. Even rarer are there going to be a good player by the time we get a pick. Not optimistic about the midseason draft bearing any fruit. We have a great list, we just need to get some of these injured guys through it and get them fit.

There is no need for us to panic here, we are still fielding a good side and winning games.

Tests
Akuei, Weitering, Williams, Wilson.
Take them off the list they will play.

1 Week
Cerra - He will be back next week. Walsh killing it. Cripps going up in form. Kennedy stepped into the middle more, Hollands going in there a little. We are covering him, he's a great player and has to come in but there will be serious debate about who goes out.

Cuningham - He's back but I doubt he walks straight in. Hollands and Cottrell are holding up the HFF really well. Will be interesting to see what Voss does here.

1-2
McGovern - Kemp is killing it in his role. We are missing him but we are covering him well. It's a short term one, he will be fine.

2-3
Jack Martin - is having a bad start to the season but I bet the whips are cracking and he will come back fit. Season is still young, just need to get a good second half out of him, not even actually.

2-4
Marchbank - He's not out forever, got smashed in a contest hardly a sign of being injury prone. So far we have covered well for him at CHB.

3-4
Motlop - This one has really blown out of proportion. Was having a good preseason until this happened. Not sure how he will come back being a player who really needed to improve their tanks and second and third efforts. I am feeling that he could have a riteoff season or be a late bloomer. Either way we have a long list of small forwards and we aren't short in this area.

5 Weeks and 4-6
Saad - This one really hurts but we are going ok without him. We are fortunate that we have a mobile and running defence and some good smaller defenders stepping up. But he has left a hole. A couple of young players like Cowan and Wilson will get a look in I feel and that could be good.

Fogarty - He was having a good season and had made it into most people's best 22. However in his absence players have stepped up. The last few weeks Durdin has been really good and has looked like a version of Fogarty with added goal kicking. We will win games without him and if he is good enough will be back when it counts. If not, it's because players like Durdin have gone past him.

Season
Docherty - Sucks
Silvagni - Sucks

Last edited:
1. We have a long injury list. We've spent 20 years blaming injury for our performance when really, everyone has injuries and that was never the case, we just were never really that good. Now we are.

2. We are still winning games and we are 4th (equal second) on the AFL ladder. Have a look at the weekend's 23, it looks pretty good, it's just that we can see it looking better.

3. Most of the players on that injury list aren't due to be out too long. 4 are tests, they don't count. 7 out of 10 should be back playing in the next month and we should keep winning.

4. We need to stop going on about the midseason draft. It's not as simple and easy as just going and picking a good player. The players in the midseason draft are rarely good players. Even rarer are they good enough to get a game in a top side like us. Even rarer are there going to be a good player by the time we get a pick. Not optimistic about the midseason draft bearing any fruit. We have a great list, we just need to get some of these injured guys through it and get them fit.

There is no need for us to panic here, we are still fielding a good side and winning games.

Tests

1 Week
Cerra - He will be back next week. Walsh killing it. Cripps going up in form. Kennedy stepped into the middle more, Hollands going in there a little. We are covering him, he's a great player and has to come in but there will be serious debate about who goes out.

Cuningham - He's back but I doubt he walks straight in. Hollands and Cottrell are holding up the HFF really well. Will be interesting to see what Voss does here.

1-2
McGovern - Kemp is killing it in his role. We are missing him but we are covering him well. It's a short term one, he will be fine.

2-3
Jack Martin - is having a bad start to the season but I be the whips are cracking and he will come back fit. Season is still young, just need to get a good second half out of him, not even actually.

2-4
Marchbank - He's not out forever, got smashed in a contest hardly a sign of being injury prone. So far we have covered well for him at CHB.

3-4
Motlop - This one has really blown out of proportion. Was having a good preseason until this happened. Not sure how he will come back being a player who really needed to improve their tanks and second and third efforts. I am feeling that he could have a riteoff season or be a late bloomer. Either way we have a long list of small forwards and we aren't short in this area.

5 Weeks and 4-6
Saad - This one really hurts but we are going ok without him. We are fortunate that we have a mobile and running defence and some good smaller defenders stepping up. But he has left a hole.

Fogarty - He was having a good season and had made it into most people's best 22. However in his absence players have stepped up. The last few weeks Durdin has been really good and has looked like a version of Fogarty with added goal kicking. We will win games without him and if he is good enough will be back when it counts. If not, it's because players like Durdin have gone past him.

Season
Docherty - Sucks
Silvagni - Sucks

It's not great but key now is to not have any more.

If we can get to bye with only 1 or 2 losses at most and get these players back we are in a great spot

Tests

1 Week

1-2

2-3
Jack Martin - is having a bad start to the season but I be the whips are cracking and he will come back fit. Season is still young, just need to get a good second half out of him, not even actually.

2-4

3-4

5 Weeks and 4-6
Saad - This one really hurts but we are going ok without him. We are fortunate that we have a mobile and running defence and some good smaller defenders stepping up. But he has left a hole.

Season
Docherty - Sucks
Silvagni - Sucks
I'm still of the view we should target as a selection a recently capable retired AFL player in the mid season drafy as cream for potential finals coverage. Bring them in 6 week training block and be on standby.

“He is clearly struggling with a long term Achilles problem”.

Why have this take?

Is it not possible that he did in fact get a knock to the area?

How can you be so adamant that something nefarious is happening with our injuries?, you have no knowledge or proof so why cast shadows!

I’m sorry to react negatively to 2 of your recent posts but this whole narrative of the club lying and misleading supporters is just fruitless scaremongering.

We learnt from Walsh’s back that the club is as clear and upfront about as possible. There is always a need to hedge against things going wrong in recovery and then there is also the need to play the wait and see game as things can change dynamically in a positive or negative way.

Weiters admitted that he over did it in preseason without fully communicating with the fitness staff and that it was actually a little bit of tendinitis (that caused the muscle tear) which he ignored because he didn’t think it would get worse.

We need to accept that injury is a part of elite sport and AFL is by far the most taxing of these team games.

I feel your frustration but let’s just stick to facts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

“He is clearly struggling with a long term Achilles problem”.

Why have this take?

Is it not possible that he did in fact get a knock to the area?

How can you be so adamant that something nefarious is happening with our injuries?, you have no knowledge or proof so why cast shadows!

I’m sorry to react negatively to 2 of your recent posts but this whole narrative of the club lying and misleading supporters is just fruitless scaremongering.

We learnt from Walsh’s back that the club is as clear and upfront about as possible. There is always a need to hedge against things going wrong in recovery and then there is also the need to play the wait and see game as things can change dynamically in a positive or negative way.

Weiters admitted that he over did it in preseason without fully communicating with the fitness staff and that it was actually a little bit of tendinitis (that caused the muscle tear) which he ignored because he didn’t think it would get worse.

We need to accept that injury is a part of elite sport and AFL is by far the most taxing of these team games.

I feel your frustration but let’s just stick to facts.

Not defending the post you are responding to … however the club is managing comms closely.
It’s not misleading in my view but they only release information they feel is necessary and the timing of said information release is always on the club’s terms. this approach, in my view, does fuel speculation which could otherwise be avoided.
Ultimately, the club cares little about said speculation - it doesn’t matter what they do, supporters are so heavily engaged they will always find issue somewhere.

I'm still of the view we should target as a selection a recently capable retired AFL player in the mid season drafy as cream for potential finals coverage. Bring them in 6 week training block and be on standby.
I think we have to just in case but I can't see us finding someone who is going to be able to get a game unless there are heaps of injuries. I don't think we should get too excited about it. We aren't filling any holes or making the side better in the MSD. But we might find a player to play a game or two if injuries happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not great but key now is to not have any more.

If we can get to bye with only 1 or 2 losses at most and get these players back we are in a great spot
Exactly. Players are injured, but we keep winning. We are still fielding a side that's high quality. Start getting these players back over the next month and we go from a good team to a great team slowly. Grand scheme of things we are fine. We have good young players like Binns and Wilson who haven't been tried yet and Cowan who has had one game. So we may also get some games into some talented youth in the face of these injuries.

It's possible that, although he wasn't retired, the thinking behind getting Fantasia in was not far removed from this.

Not defending the post you are responding to … however the club is managing comms closely.
It’s not misleading in my view but they only release information they feel is necessary and the timing of said information release is always on the club’s terms. this approach, in my view, does fuel speculation which could otherwise be avoided.
Ultimately, the club cares little about said speculation - it doesn’t matter what they do, supporters are so heavily engaged they will always find issue somewhere.

Can you give me a couple of recent ( last 12 months) examples of the club the club withholding information which should have come out sooner?

Not being facetious, I can’t think of an example of what you describe.

I am sure in our more distance past ( 3 plus years) there was definitely a greater “management” of info but I think we have moved on from those days.

Can you give me a couple of recent ( last 12 months) examples of the club the club withholding information which should have come out sooner?

Not being facetious, I can’t think of an example of what you describe.

I am sure in our more distance past ( 3 plus years) there was definitely a greater “management” of info but I think we have moved on from those days.

Marchbank, Motlop, Martin?
We are deliberately taking a conservative approach to injury management and I’m in favour of that.
But our comms delivery is a process of managing expectations related to that approach and it is not entirely transparent. Again, not critical as the club really can’t win … but I’m also understanding why supporters want to challenge the comms. Transparency is neither a requirement nor a priority.

Marchbank, Motlop, Martin?
We are deliberately taking a conservative approach to injury management and I’m in favour of that.
But our comms delivery is a process of managing expectations related to that approach and it is not entirely transparent. Again, not critical as the club really can’t win … but I’m also understanding why supporters want to challenge the comms. Transparency is neither a requirement nor a priority.
Fair,

I can see that some supporters jump to a negative conclusion and want to blame someone for their frustration, but with each of those players I don't think the club waiting until the next weekly injury report is deliberately withholding information.

In each case those players were already out with an injury which unfortunately morphed into other issues.

We have made significant improvement in comms in my mind, but some folks want more. I get it.

It's the jumping to negative and spurious claims that annoys.

Data shows that we're doing more repeat sprints and more intense running in game than other teams we've played this year.
So we're playing and training for a style of game that's more likely to create a greater risk of soft tissue leg injuries.
That's just basic logic.

So the question probably shouldn't be 'is our high performance team not doing their job?' because if they're being asked to get the players ready to be able perform at this level, they're clearly delivering. But rather 'is this a smart strategy, and is the risk worth taking?' And that's a question for the club, not just AR and Co.

Won't have an answer until the end of the season really.

So Sam Durdin back this week after suspension, right?

Data shows that we're doing more repeat sprints and more intense running in game than other teams we've played this year.
So we're playing and training for a style of game that's more likely to create a greater risk of soft tissue leg injuries.
That's just basic logic.

So the question probably shouldn't be 'is our high performance team not doing their job?' because if they're being asked to get the players ready to be able perform at this level, they're clearly delivering. But rather 'is this a smart strategy, and is the risk worth taking?' And that's a question for the club, not just AR and Co.

Won't have an answer until the end of the season really.
The GWS game was a revelation for me. We couldn’t go with their spread early. The tsunami really was a thing. The revelation was, that we don’t have the raw leg speed to cope with many oppo sides when fresh. Perhaps jury is out if that is pure speed or relates to load and “heavier legs”. Clearly as we get in to the games, this evens up. The edge comes off the oppo dashers and our superior conditioning and endurance comes to the fore. We become the tsunami as the front runners can’t maintain the rage.

I am all for this preparation. We are displaying enough depth to ride out the inevitable niggles. The time is certainly right to “quit” some players who consistently fail to manage the necessary load when we plan for the future.

That's just basic logic.

This doesn't belong here.

How can we huff and puff and throw our toys out of the cot you go around being all logical? Next, you'll have us "reasoning ".

Mods - are you going to allows this abomination?

Seriously though, I agree with your wider point. The higher training loads and increased sprint rates do mean that any weakness is going to pop.

Is it a sound strategy? Well know in the fullness of time. We are winning now, in part because of this strategy but I'm uncertain if it is sustainable long term.

Just need to keep winning as the injury list starts to (hopefully) improve.

On a positive note, I think any time on the sidelines helps players get the rest of their bodies right too. Rest up from all the little niggles. I know a couple of players have other, smaller concerns, that haven't been reported but are healing while waiting for the reported injury to improve.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just finished a run around Princes Park and can see the boys training in Ikon.

Weitering in footy kit but just watching on atm.

Cerra, Motlop, Marchbank and Carroll running laps.

Just waiting around to receive his upgrade.

1714007656613.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back