• Availability: Test

Caleb Marchbank (back)

Jack Martin (hamstring)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankBackTest (Update: 7 May)
Jack MartinHamstringTest (Update: 7 May)
Mitch McGovernHamstringTest (Update: 7 May)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)

I get the Russel bashing but it's really only 4 of 42....Saad, motlop, mcgov and cerra. Fog, doc and sos don't count as unlucky injuries.... the rest are either fringe or always injured. Yes it sucks and I wish they were all available but not sure you can conclude a massive failure of high performance team.

Might be some if column an and b with injury prone players and issues with strength and conditioning.

I think it’s more of the former and we will most likely clear out Cuningham, Marchy and Martin and seasons end (wouldn’t surprise me if either of the first 2 retired)

The concerns are the soft tissues injuries to Motlop Cerra & Saad. I don’t know but Saad to me looked like a surface issue. I’m told Cerra is more a deep cork of hammy and scan didnt confirm any tear. We are definitely more cautious these days. Motlop was tracking well and when they upped his training load he hurt it again. Is there anything you can do about that?

Marchbank Cuningham McGovern Martin are injury prone and always have problems. It’s their history and I’m tired of carrying so many of these players

Forgarty Docherty Silvagni Wilson Akuei Mirkov are just unlucky and compound the issues of injury prone players

That the problem, when you have at least 3 who are rarely available any type of bad injury run on top of that becomes a crisis.

12 injured

2 - concussions

2 - knees

4 - injury prone, Martin, Marchbank, Cuners, Gov

4 - Fog wrist, Cerra quad, Carroll groin, Saad hammy

Interesting
Plus Mots.
And it's not the injury prone group's fault that their contracts are renewed.
I'm not blaming any individuals, but the club has to be held accountable for the good decisions and the bad ones.

Marchies injury is something I have never heard of in AFL. Came off with a concussion and a sore back. Back obviously didn't get better as expected for bruising so he went in for a scan and they found a fracture. It is a 4 -8 week recovery depending on the severity. This is not something that could have been expected, managed better or is under Russell's control as it is medical rather than S/C.

Marchie was obviously born under a ladder surrounded by broken mirrors and black cats. Guy just cannot take a trick.

Apparently minimum 6 weeks but for things like impact sports can be significantly longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concerns are the soft tissues injuries to Motlop Cerra & Saad. I don’t know but Saad to me looked like a surface issue. I’m told Cerra is more a deep cork of hammy and scan didnt confirm any tear. We are definitely more cautious these days. Motlop was tracking well and when they upped his training load he hurt it again. Is there anything you can do about that?

Marchbank Cuningham McGovern Martin are injury prone and always have problems. It’s their history and I’m tired of carrying so many of these players

Forgarty Docherty Silvagni Wilson Akuei Mirkov are just unlucky and compound the issues of injury prone players
Agree.

Marchbank, Martin, Cuners and McG are injury prone and unfortunately will be susceptible to recurring injuries.

Fog, Doc and Silvagni unlucky but nothing to do with workloads or anything Russell can control.

Marchies injury is something I have never heard of in AFL. Came off with a concussion and a sore back. Back obviously didn't get better as expected for bruising so he went in for a scan and they found a fracture. It is a 4 -8 week recovery depending on the severity. This is not something that could have been expected, managed better or is under Russell's control as it is medical rather than S/C.

Marchie was obviously born under a ladder surrounded by broken mirrors and black cats. Guy just cannot take a trick.
He and Doc twins?

I’m trying to use positive thinking here….

The longest and biggest loss is Saad. So, him and McGovern can be capably - not necessarily equally - but capably replaced within the team structure by Cowan and Young.

Cerra can be capably - not equally - but capably replaced within the team structure by Cincotta. (Or Kemp goes mid and Cinc back).

Phew, solved. 😬

Honestly, the way Boyd landed on his head with all his weight, it looked ugly and I’d be surprised if they didn’t send him for scans straight away. More to the point, I don’t think we’re always transparent with the injury lists for various reasons.

I’m not going to get into whether the fitness department need a review and all that, but it’s definitely reaching a point where we may waste the potential primes of our gun players by constantly having so many injured. Next man up sure. But the next man up isn’t as good. 1, 2, 3, maybe 4 you can cover but when it’s out of hand like this it’s going to be a big ask to maintain ground on the ladder.

We need to move on a few of the injury prone guys but I doubt we can do that all in one year and still replace them with quality rather than token picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back