Traded Blake Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Quality touches there

Better than Gilbert on those highlights

He gets involved in good deep f50 entries

Post-match: http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-05-05/postmatch-blake-acres-rd-7

Highlights:

Pearler:

f
48oNyg.gif

Press Conference: http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-05-24/injury-report-round-10

“I got a full pre-season in this year and I suppose I took a bit of confidence out of the back end of last season as well,” he said.

“Jack Steele and Koby Stevens coming in has really helped our midfield.

“I’ve been able to play a bit more on the ball and on the wing in the last couple of weeks and get a bit more of the ball, which has been good.”

Lost form and dropped , listed as emergency for the Tigers game . Will need to play well to get his spot back asap.
He will play in the VFL as a midfielder this week and probably for a couple of weeks and get heaps of touches but come back into St Kilda and get put in the forward line and get 15 touches and get dropped. Its seems to be the way for him, in and out and never settled in the one position.

He will play in the VFL as a midfielder this week and probably for a couple of weeks and get heaps of touches but come back into St Kilda and get put in the forward line and get 15 touches and get dropped. Its seems to be the way for him, in and out and never settled in the one position.

I think we are a better side when he plays , want him straight back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would appreciate some highlights of Blake from this game!

Legend to JG22 if you're still making those comps!

Last edited:
My Own Personal review of the Great man/Goat/ (Fyfe/Lenny?Pendlbury) all in one.

Blake's year in someway paralled that of the Saints as a whole, His best best footy is scintillating and his worst down right depressing and disappointing. Even so though he like the rest of the team improved dramatically despite what the so called footy experts think.

In terms of his actual gameplay he increased his average disposal to just over 20 per game and also managed to average close to three tackles a game. Pretty much if you look at his VFL stats every year his AFL stats are a one year behind where his VFL stats were. This bodes really well for Blake. His disposal efficiency definetly imporoved too with his kicking and handballing beicoming more efficient. His marking and contested marking continues to get better but there is still room for improvement.

However possibly the most enocuraging sign for me personally with blake and something that I don't think has been spoken about enough now or even prior to him being drafted is his ability to dominate games and patches of games as well as lifting against good teams and in really important moments. Its almost as though you can actually see him lift with the team or vise versa. This is a really really special and rare queality that few players if any on our list have now that Rooey has gone.

This was evident in the game against GWS where he had 10 disposals and 2 goals in the last quarter to lift us to a win. Also against West Coast he established himself as a dominant ballw winner. Again against Port his goal on 3qt. and efforts late really pushed us close to the win. Furtermore he steps up against good teams recording really important performances aginst Sydney, West Coast, and Port as well as others. It was obvious to see that as he played more on the ball he was able to really find his form. This was clear aginst North in the second last game of the season where on the ball in the last quarter he managed to get 15 disposals in about 24 minutes. DONT UNDERESTIMATE how incredible that feat is. Perhaps only two other players have shown an ability to do anything close too that (Ross and Steven) and Acres has shown at a much younger stage of his career. The confidence he gained from reaching 30 disposals two weeks before as he said himself was a real milestone. I truely believe that with the right opportunties and development he could evry well be our most important player. He is the type of player that is made for finals.

Acres's lacidasical non flustered attitude is such an underated trait. Even when he makes mistakes he just gets up and keeps going which is why I think besides the location of his set shots his goal kicking was so on point.

Either way next year He must start playing midifeld. We cannot afford for Acres to wasting away as a hff. Get him hungry make him expect to get 30 disopsals every week.

HITTING the dangerous kicks and opening the game up has been a pre-season focus for young St Kilda midfielder Blake Acres as he looks to take the next step in his promising career.

Acres, who has enjoyed his best summer of training as he enters his fifth season, is among a group of blossoming Saints with his eye on September football this year and the potential to make it happen.

The 22-year-old has improved his running times and built more strength, but his primary focus has been disposal efficiency and building the confidence to use the ball in ways that his more skilful teammates can.

"Going into last pre-season I was told I need to work on my efficiency, and that got a lot better during the year," Acres told AFL.com.au.

"But this season it's about being able to hit the harder kicks, the kicks that Jack Billings, Shane Savage and Jimmy Webster can all hit.

"I've tried to keep it pretty simple, until I can actually hit those kicks, but I'm trying to add that to my game.

"If I train it here and earn the trust of the group, then I can go for them on game day."

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson believes Acres has the potential to be one of the competition's most improved midfielders in 2018 after four seasons of constant growth.

He has lifted his game's tally and average disposals each season, playing 18 games last year and averaging 20.3 touches, with his training form pointing to further improvement in 2018.

The young West Australian said he was excited about the year ahead knowing he was now in a position to lock down a permanent role in the team after twice fighting his way back from stints in the VFL in 2017.

"I got drafted with Jack (Billings) and Luke (Dunstan) and they both played really early on, so watching them play every game probably drove me a bit more," he said.

"I've still got to worry about a spot, but I don't have to go out there at training and kill someone else to get a spot.

"I can focus on the stuff I need to focus on and not have to worry about that all the time."

Acres' versatility as a 190cm midfielder, with a good blend of running power and strength, will likely prevent him from establishing himself in a single position this year, but he said moving between wing, midfield and forward roles suits him.

Off-field, he has an important role as one of the Saints' most sociable young players – alongside housemate Dunstan – bringing new players into the fold and building a strong group dynamic.

"We've taken that on and try to invite the younger guys out early, instead of waiting a year or two, and they feel a lot more comfortable," Acres said.

"They've all put themselves out there and enjoy their time with us and I feel like they're fitting in awesome.

"With Nick (Riewoldt) and 'Joey' (Leigh Montagna) retired, and a few other guys who have moved on as well, we're like the next group coming through where we have to look after the young guys coming in … it's on us."

d38dddf5129e14a260d5619079054d06.jpg

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back