Traded Blake Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

R18 StK vs WB @ Marvel Stadium
StK 6.5 11.6 13.9 17.14 (116)
WB 1.0 4.5 10.5 14.5 (89)

As Brains Trust66 says above, Blake looks much better when he is playing in the midfield. The one-two with Membrey (?) running through the centre square then that awkward bounce when he should have kicked it straight to Gresh but he did manage to get it to Gresh for an easy goal. He does need to back himself more with shots for goal. Two set shots from just outside 50 with the Saints well in front. Just take your 30 seconds, back yourself and have ping. From memory, one was a pass to Savage on a worst angle not that closer in (yes Sav is a long kick) and one a handball to Say who ran into pressure. I'll feel like I'm channelling Richo, criticising a couple of negatives in what was otherwise a great game and I'm sure the self-confidence will come with more games like that. When he sees Gresh and JB and even Lukey D backing themselves he'll want to get onboard too.

21 disposals, 11 kicks, 10 handballs, 9 contested. 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 clearances and 5 Inside 50s. 85.7% DE.

R19 StK vs Melb @ Marvel Stadium
StK 3.2 5.7 10.10 15.14 (104)
Melb 5.3 6.4 10.6 13.7 (85)

When you win everyone seems to play well. Probably Blake didn't play as well as last week but he only had 62% game time. Looked like he injured his shoulder in the last but came back on and I heard on the commentary that he had spent something like 11 minutes on the bench at one point earlier in the game. In the end he had 15 disposals, 9 kicks and 6 handballs with 4 contested at 86.7% DE. 7 marks, 9 tackles and 3 i50s rounded off what was still a good performance.

Numbers down this week (6 kicks and 5 handballs) but from Ratts' press conference, Blake sustained an injury and basically went on to keep the rotations going with Coff off for 3 quarters so can't criticise him for that. Besides we won and I'm not sure anyone had a terrible game.

Aside from his 11 possessions, Blake had 3 clearances, 3 tackles, 1 1%er, 2 inside 50s, had 72.7% DE and managed 74% game time.

R22 Carl vs StK @ MCG
Carl 2.4 5.5 8.11 11.12 (78)
StK 3.3 7.4 8.8 10.8 (68)

Disappointing loss, certainly we had our chances but Carlton wanted it more, especially in the last quarter.

Blake had an OK game. 21 disposals (11 kicks, 10 handballs), 8 contested, 81% DE. 3 marks, 4 clearances, 2 tackles, 1 1%er, 5 inside 50s with 77% ToG.

R23 Syd vs StK @ SCG
Syd 6.2 6.3 11.4 17.7 (109)
StK 2.5 5.9 7.12 8.16 (64)

Not a great finish to the year for Blake and that is reflected in the stats. Only 3 kicks and 8 handballs. As BT noted above his DE% has been good and this game was no exception at 81.8%. With so few possessions you don't want to butcher too many. One mark, 1 clearance, 3 tackles, 1 I50 and 2 1%ers. Only 69% on ground so perhaps he was carrying an injury.

Season Review
An interrupted pre-season is never ideal and that continued into the season with Blake missing R1. He did manage to play 18 matches, missing Shanghai through illness and R20 with a shoulder injury. He came back and played the final three rounds but his stats were down on earlier in the season when he did get going. While he didn't do enough to satisfy the Acres 'Space Cadet' crew, I feel that he showed more this year than previously although not often enough. At Brains Trust66 has noted his DE% has been better this year and baring his last few games his possessions have been up. So he is getting the ball more and using it better but we do need him to get the ball more.

Who knows what the off-season will bring.

We will have a new coach and he may have a different view on how best to use Blake. Maybe, as some have called for, that may be trade bait.

I would hate to see him leave at this stage. I'd like to see what a different coach could get out of him.

2019 has been a horrible year for St Kilda. Long-term injuries to key players meant we never had our best 22 on the field. I'm hopeful we can get closer to that next year and Blake with better players around him and a new coach will take a big step forward and become the player we all hope he can be.

I agree with dct66 , i dont want to trade Blake . I think if he gets more midfield time every week we will start to see just how good he could be . He is great when he gets hold of the ball and maybe now with a new coach he will be given the chance to shine . He is a running player who can destroy teams with his disposal if given the chance . Too often Richo had him cooling his heals up forward where he was wasted . Its obvious to me that he has played his best footy while in the midfield.

Blake Acres
Career
Games: 75
Goals:
Games: 19
Goals:

660043_gl.jpg

After an injury-interrupted 2018, Blake Acres was at last able to get back on the park.
The utility highlighted his flexibility across the ground, spending the bulk of his time through the centre square and along the wings.
Acres averaged 16 disposals across his 19 outings, consistently charting as a regular tackler, clearance-winner and deliverer inside-50.
The West Australian neared his career-best figures of 2017, and with a complete season done and dusted, there’s every chance he can reach those heights again.
BEST GAME:
Acres rose to the occasion against Hawthorn in Round 4, amassing 26 disposals and six inside-50s to play a key role in the Saints’ victory.

“Blake has been a popular member of our playing group, and was someone who always bought into the culture we are building,” Lethlean said.
“We wish him well at the Dockers and thank him for his commitment to St Kilda over the past six years.”
Acres has played 75 games for the Saints since being drafted from West Perth in the 2013 AFL Draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back