News Billy Frampton signs with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that we played unfit players because we had no choice says a lot about the lack of depth in our list and as I see it we have no choice but 'to go back to the well'. Collingwood only had to cover a couple of players at most whereas we had to cover at least four. Dixon, McKenzie, Marshall, Aliir and Lycett all had some fitness question mark over them during the finals and possible replacements such as Teakle and Visentini also had injury leading up to the finals. Those players were all key position players and most of them are 195cm plus players. It was not simply the number of injuries but they type of players who were carrying those injuries. I am reluctant to give Hinkley mileage but this time around he does have a point as the cover was simply not there.

Again, it’s kind of the point.

Running players into the ground and asking them to play while clearly injured, while refusing to play available replacements (ie Hayes) after years of neglecting home grown development for hired guns was his choice.

McRae was happy to pick Billy Frampton in myriad positions.

Hinkley is addicted to the ‘anyone but me’ buckpassing train, and Koch lets him get away with it.

I think it's very funny that Frampton has a premiership medal and Hinkley doesn't as much as the next guy, but anybody claiming he 'played a role' is delusional. He failed dismally at his role. It was probably the worst Grand Final for 25 years since Cam Mooney's 0 disposal performance. He didn't 'do a job' on Andrews. Andrews was Brisbane's best intercept marker by a mile, and if Brisbane had snuck home and won that game, that matchup would have been the difference.

Jed McEntee on his worst day offers twice as much as what Frampton contributed on Saturday.

Last edited:

I think it's very funny that Frampton has a premiership medal and Hinkley doesn't as much as the next guy, but anybody claiming he 'played a role' is delusional. He failed dismally at his role. It was probably the worst Grand Final for 25 years since Cam Mooney's 0 disposal performance. He didn't 'do a job' on Andrews, Andrews was Brisbane's best intercept marker by a mile.

Jed McEntee on his worst day offers twice as much as what Frampton contributed on Saturday.

So they beat Brisbane with 17 men. F#%k our excuse-merchant coach.

Probably not, but maybe he is a star and his diversion of Andrews away from other players is very likely what led to Collingwood having 30 scoring shots for the game.
No point dwelling on what ifs, what happened is Billy Frampton played a crucial role in winning a flag and he’ll have that forever.
You nailed it. Team first otherwise players just want to cover themselves with personal glory on the biggest day in football.

So they beat Brisbane with 17 men. F#%k our excuse-merchant coach.
Yes, this. The takeaway isn't 'lol Ken is dumb for getting rid of Billy Frampton', the takeaway is 'why are we putting up with an excuse of not having the cattle when a spud like Billy Frampton has a premiership medal'. The fact that he used to be on our list really has nothing to do with it.

A half fit Charlie Dixon is better than a fully fit butter fingers Billy Frampton

Running players into the ground and asking them to play while clearly injured, while refusing to play available replacements (ie Hayes) after years of neglecting home grown development for hired guns was his choice.

Hinkley is addicted to the ‘anyone but me’ buckpassing train, and Koch lets him get away with it.

Comparing our situation with that of Collingwood is not comparing apples with apples. As I pointed out McRae only had one decision to make only one player to cover whereas we had four maybe five players under a fitness cloud. In our thirteen wins in a row we played Brynn Teakle as a stand in ruckman and won despite his low numbers but, as with Frampton last Saturday, that was cover for a single player.

Collingwood won and Frampton's selection was a master stroke but had Brisbane kicked one more goal and won it might be harder for the media to justify the inclusion of a player who had just 2 possessions.

I take your point about Hinkley not giving young talls a go and on umpteen occasions I have made the point that under Hinkley we have only really developed one player over 195cm, that player is Todd Marshall. I also agree that Frampton would not have that Premiership Medal if had stayed with us so good luck to him.

A half fit Charlie Dixon is better than a fully fit butter fingers Billy Frampton
Dixon is a cancer for the culture of the club.

Dixon is paid significantly more than Frampton.

Dixon cannot perform in crucial moments.

Our forward line was more fluent without Dixon.

Dixon would have netted us significant draft currency if traded around his AA year.

Dixon does donuts in honour of daddy. Billy has won a 'ship.

Charlie Dixon can * right off. The fact that Hinkley hated Frampton is enough to convince me we would have been better off keeping him here.

Hinkley can only be judged when the list is so good it doesn't have a weak link and everyone is fit and firing on the park.
Forget Frilly Brampton, how many All Australians and recent Brownlow medalists did Collingwood field on Saturday?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my count 7 All Australians and one Brownlow medallist
We had 8 and one in our last game but apparently Hinkley hasn't got enough AA players to be able to make a Grand Final let alone win one.

I think it's very funny that Frampton has a premiership medal and Hinkley doesn't as much as the next guy, but anybody claiming he 'played a role' is delusional. He failed dismally at his role. It was probably the worst Grand Final for 25 years since Cam Mooney's 0 disposal performance. He didn't 'do a job' on Andrews. Andrews was Brisbane's best intercept marker by a mile, and if Brisbane had snuck home and won that game, that matchup would have been the difference.

Frampton was terrible.

When it comes down to it, Hinkley is a very average to poor coach and it comes in many ways.

He has his super gold passes favourites, he plays old players, he plays injured players, he plays players out of form, players in the wrong positions, poor matchups, doesn't change matchups when beaten, unearned captaincy and poor list management in certain areas of depth.

It really is obviously a dogs breakfast and a lot of those problems bleed into the other.

Those players who are not gifted games are really in a bind because they see a guy like McEntee play and wonder what they have to do to get int the team or McKenzie playing while super injured and getting smashed.

As for Toby Thurstans, he actually kicked goals for us in that 2004 Grand Final. Toby took six marks and kicked 3.1 to be precise and that is a ******* site more than Billy did in Saturday's GF. I didn't have problem with Toby ahead of centre it was when Chocco decided to turn him into a key defender later in his career that the problems arose.

This is just making my point. Thurstans was an incredibly limited key forward who averaged less than a goal a game as a key forward despite our very high powered attack and the higher scoring of the era. The fact that he was able to play a role all season is exactly what I'm saying. He'd be remembered as a spud if he didn't win a flag and rightly so. He was a much better defender.

Andrews had an equal game high 9 marks and a game high 8 intercept possessions amongst 16 disposals.

The most you could say for Frampton is he took Andrews from being BOG to merely one of the better players on ground

Given how weak and undersized Collingwood's key forward division is, keeping Andrews, the best key defender in the league, to a good game is a great result. It's not a matchup they were ever going to win, but Collingwood still managed 30 scoring shots from 57 I50s. He got smashed, but his teammates kicked a winning score, with it only not being a very comfortable win because of some inaccurate goal kicking.

What was the alternative?

Harris Andrews is the best key defender in the league. Billy Frampton is a journeyman fringe KPD. Nobody went in thinking he was going to win that matchup. His job was to keep Andrews as busy as possible so that Collingwood could play around Andrews, and they managed 30 scoring shots in a Grand Final.

The last time Brisbane conceded 30 scoring shots was against us in round 1.

Yes, this. The takeaway isn't 'lol Ken is dumb for getting rid of Billy Frampton', the takeaway is 'why are we putting up with an excuse of not having the cattle when a spud like Billy Frampton has a premiership medal'. The fact that he used to be on our list really has nothing to do with it.

The fact that he used to be on our list makes it even better because he's one of the subpar cattle that was used as an excuse for Hinkley. "We had to play short up forward, who were we going to play instead? Billy Frampton?"

Frampton was terrible however the reality is Andrews was pretty invisible for 3 quarters.

Ollie Lord did a similar occupying Andrews role, he's just a far better forward than Frampton and took his chances.

Yep. Andrews had a big last quarter, but at 3/4 time he had

7 touches
5 marks
2 intercept possessions

Collingwood had 9 scoring shots more at 3/4 time and the game should have been all but over there.

Frampton was terrible however the reality is Andrews was pretty invisible for 3 quarters.

Ollie Lord did a similar occupying Andrews role, he's just a far better forward than Frampton and took his chances.

He need to be signed up for longer than next year, I mean Marshall is two concussions away from being a bigger liability, Dixon is toast and George won't be good for the next 12 months, it could get thin real quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back