Roast Big Game Underperformers

Remove this Banner Ad

On the opposite side of the coin the club's genuinely successful coaches in Fos Williams and John Cahill could make average players believe they were better than they were, particularly in finals
Yeah, to win GFs you need to get your bottom 25% to feel like they are world beaters on the big stage. Not quite sure yet how "finals are scary" and "it's a tough competition and someone has to lose" gets us there.

You are making my point for me. Football is a team game. This idea that one player can lift and win you the game singlehandedly almost never happens without others playing their role. Additionally peoples memory is notoriously selective when it comes to their preconceptions and who they are focusing on.

Lets look at Boak 2014 prelim vs Hawks.
View attachment 1971522

The only prelim Travis played in his 20's. What about that game screams 'disappointing'. What didn't he do to 'drag his team over the line'? Was it his fault we had one ruck all year that we had dragged into the ground come finals? Tell me how was it Boak's fault that Schultz kicked 1 goal 2 behinds from 5 shots at goal???

Or Wines who you were so disappointed by in the 2021 Prelim.
View attachment 1971559
What disappointed you? What in your view could he have done to drag the team over the line? Should he have rucked instead of Lycett? Told Hinkley not to start Drew on the bench? Was it his fault the team were lulled into a relaxed state of overconfidence in the lead up to the game??? There were 22 players on the ground that night. If Wines game is what disappointed you, watch the game again and look harder. I assure you there is a lot more to be disappointed in

Don't give me the eye test BS. A player with those all round statistics in a side that got beaten by 12 goals has not disappointed or underperformed.

There are other examples, already posted, for both players in finals, that seem so easily forgotten or simply ignored because those players, out of 22, did not somehow 'get us over the line' in a particular game.
Whilst your right, the star players will execute in key moments to get their team over the line. Boak especially, has had many games to do this and fluffed it.

He’s a long time servant and amazing player and durable, but executing under pressure has been an issue.

That’s what one player can do

At the moment, Marshall is not being used to his strengths.

He's fine.

It's just bad coaching.
LOL. It appears Marshall is passing your eye test and has done in the 7 finals he has played in since.

Yep blame Boak, Dixon and Wines for not bringing home the bacon and by association my loser talk for pointing out in every way imaginable that they have done everything humanly possible to win us crucial finals. Defend the one player who has been a serial disappointment since his first final.

Your posts are agenda based. Your attack of singular players and me personally reek more of loser talk than anything I have said. Your posts contradict myself and you agree with a Windy Cindy post that I category refuted.

You have just lost any smidgen ofcredibility you had by continually whining about three players while ignoring everybody else except Hinkley and now trying to tell us that Marshall is fine.

Dropping a chest mark that a schoolboy could take is just bad coaching. He is fine. Thanks for the belly laugh Peninsula Boy. I'm the loser.

Whilst your right, the star players will execute in key moments to get their team over the line. Boak especially, has had many games to do this and fluffed it.

He’s a long time servant and amazing player and durable, but executing under pressure has been an issue.

That’s what one player can do
He executed against GWS at 34 years of age when just about everybody else except Lord underperformed and screwed up under pressure.

How many finals has he performed in to get us over the line? The Hawks prelim? Or what about the finals we won where he did executed? vs Richmond? Geelong 2021 etc.

He misses goals too much. Whether he is under pressure or under no pressure. A valid criticism and where a lot of this 'big game' criticism springs from. But there is more to a game that is also critical. And he is not an orphan when it comes to goalkicking. Even Schultz lost us a prelim with bad goalkicking but it was Boak that underperformed???

Was Tredrea a star player? Because go back to the 2004 grand final and he did not drag us over the line. 6 marks and 1 goal 2. He underperformed by his standards. Not a peep is heard about it because the rest of the TEAM did the job. And you could easily find examples with other star players.

Last edited:
LOL. It appears Marshall is passing your eye test and has done in the 7 finals he has played in since.

Yep blame Boak, Dixon and Wines for not bringing home the bacon and by association my loser talk for pointing out in every way imaginable that they have done everything humanly possible to win us crucial finals. Defend the one player who has been a serial disappointment since his first final.

Your posts are agenda based. Your attack of singular players and me personally reek more of loser talk than anything I have said. Your posts contradict myself and you agree with a Windy Cindy post that I category refuted.

You have just lost any smidgen ofcredibility you had by continually whining about three players while ignoring everybody else except Hinkley and now trying to tell us that Marshall is fine.

Dropping a chest mark that a schoolboy could take is just bad coaching. He is fine. Thanks for the belly laugh Peninsula Boy. I'm the loser.
Do you go to the footy or watch from home?

When you are 7 goals down? At quarter time, you would agree the games done.. so from a midfield point of view they were all shite that night when it really mattered.

Wines is a regular bed wetter in big finals and big games. In his brownlow year when it mattered most he went missing.

forget about his stats, think of the games even when he’s had a heap of the ball the times he burns the footy or can’t execute basic skills.

Who’s letting Marshall off. He’s been ordinary for a large part of his career. I’m certainly not, drops the simplest marks you would see from an afl footballer.

There’s not many of the group who have performed in finals.. at all let alone regularly.

And that’s on our ******* coach and board

Do you go to the footy or watch from home?

When you are 7 goals down? At quarter time, you would agree the games done.. so from a midfield point of view they were all shite that night when it really mattered.

Wines is a regular bed wetter in big finals and big games. In his brownlow year when it mattered most he went missing.

forget about his stats, think of the games even when he’s had a heap of the ball the times he burns the footy or can’t execute basic skills.

Who’s letting Marshall off. He’s been ordinary for a large part of his career. I’m certainly not, drops the simplest marks you would see from an afl footballer.

There’s not many of the group who have performed in finals.. at all let alone regularly.

And that’s on our ******* coach and board
I was at the game and watched it at home afterward.

Round 5, 2011: Gold Coast defeats Port Adelaide, after trailing by 40-points in the third quarter, to record their first AFL win.

A game is NOT over at quarter time due to a 37 point deficit which is 6.1 btw not 7 goals. If Gold Coast could do it then against us anyone can do it.

I was not referring to you when talking about Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back