BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom PSD and Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the write up for....

Pick #61 Richmond - Matt Suckling (181cm midfielder - Norwood)

Matt Suckling is a mature age (22 next season) strong bodied inside midfielder who is hard at the contest and has good kicking skills.

After failing to be drafted from the Sandy Dragons (twice) Suckling was recruited to Port Melbourne before quickly moving to Norwood in the SANFL.

Matt has established himself as an elite midfielder in the SA competition leading the league in clearances and hand balls where he maintained 83% efficiency this season. Hard hitting defensive pressure is also a standout in suckling’s game.

Matt’s drafting experiences haven’t been great over the years having trained with the Tigers only to be overlooked and he also mistakenly believed he was drafted to Hawthorn when they took their Matt Suckling from Wagga.

Hopefully he gets lucky this year as he has certainly worked diligently enough for it and is ready to go.

Pick 58 - Brisbane - Mitch Brewer

This is the first of my zone picks. Michael is currently training with the Lions and you would think he has the inside running for this pick but with him being taken by someone else I will go with Brewer. Brewer is still pretty raw but has very good size about him and has shown nice development over the last year or so. He would provide a big body to throw around to protect the slighter ressies players. At 110 odd kgs he is a big lad and very physical. He has been a bit of a BF special and was not invited to State Screening but there are worse options out there and would be worth a rookie slot.

Really interesting player. Fact that he has come late to the game raises an interesting issue of how much development he might have, but as always with the late-to-the-game types there is the risk of lack of instinct for the game to worry about. But with Mitch there is something else that no-one else in this draft pool has - that is sheer size and bulk. And the willingness to really use it. i think exactly the type for a late rookie pick - could be anything, could be a bust but (unless you want to stock up on ready-made serviceable types to cover for injury) isn't that what late rookie draft picks are for?

Pick # 66 St Kilda. Brayden O'Hara. 183 cm 82 kg. Central Districts.

Yes I know O'Hara is a perennial on the mocks that never seems to get a spot on a list. I am hoping that the success of mature players such as Duigan and Pupolo last year may help O'Hara's cause this year.

However I have taken him here for several reasons. I rate him and am a bit miffed as to why he hasn't been listed yet. I also heard ( through some people at Subiaco) that Waters was very interested in Horsley ( who in this mock has already been taken), I see a lot of similarity between Horsley and O'Hara.

O'Hara ia an attacking line breaking half back flanker / wingman. His long and penetrating left foot is a weapon. With his pace , his run and carry he is a 70 meter player. O'Hara also uses him pace to run and chase with good closing speed , is a very good tackler. He is a hard seasoned player who works both ways and would offer a lot to a list. He just ticks too many boxes for me to dismiss , he will be 25 next year but that doesnt stop him from having a 100 game career .

Sometimes I think the obsession with youth is folly.

monocle I deleted the post with the pick you sent to me so stick with O'Hara.

Chris25 have pm'd Raymann but if havent heard back by 1:15pm lets roll thru. Who is the next selection in your Mock Rookie?

Pick 67 - Swans will relist Campbell Heath

before Chris 25 pinches another certainty to go to the swans.

# 68 Carlton - Matthew Lodge (NSW / Riverview - Med Def)

Like the look of young Matt but just worry he may go the way of Scott Reed and just struggle to find a position at AFL level. He is about 186 but has been playing key defensive a lot for NSW and thats not a role he will be able to perform at senior level. He is a bit like Campbell Brown but taller and I think Carlton would be aiming to build the tank up and push him to HB or so.

Anyway that is my 2cents but will wait for Beowulf views.

Pick #69 West Coast - Damian Hayward (202cm ruckman - South Fremantle)

20 year old ruckman, thought he could have been a late rookie selection at some stage over the last two years. He is a big kid, what's different this year is that he cemented a spot at league level - and averaged over 20 hitouts a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick #72 Geelong - Simon Deery (192cm defender - Gippsland)

A mature aged defender was considered with this pick, but the strong bodied 18 year old Deery ended up getting the nod. Not one who has been talked about a lot, but lots to like - athletic, strong mark and applies plenty of defensive pressure. Can play up forward too, but I'd just make him follow Scarlett and Taylor around all day.

Cam Eardley - Love the way Eardley attacks the ball. Always attacks the ball or the man and just doesn't back down. Can play through the midfield or down back to a high level and I think under coach Buckley will become a favourite very quickly.

Cameron Valentine - Really athletic medium forward. Really high flying marking target. Has a sensational leap on him, so much so that he has even been known to step into the ruck and compete in there. Very strong mark overhead, takes it at it's highest point and has a great work rate which allows him to go on multiple leads.

Caolan Mooney (reserved for 5th round)- New Irish rookie. Super speedster who from what I understand Collingwood are looking to develop into a small forward. Long term could possibly play on a wing and be a real linebreaker. Very high level athlete.

Michael Hartley (reserved for 6th round)- Key defender through the NSW/ACT program. Really athletic shutdown type key defender in the Presti mold who is best known for his effort during the u18 champs on Patton where he comfortably shut him down.

# 73 GWS - Lewis Hender (Glenelg - Medium Fwd)

At the start of the year I would have had him in the 15 - 30 range given his bottom age performances last year where he really turned it on in a couple of games and showed he has a bit of the x factor in him. Probably didnt come along as would have liked this year but he still dominated at reserves level and in fact he got a bit of senior action late and was impressive with 3 goals in one game i saw. I think he may have slid because the testing is probably not where clubs would have liked it to have been. Certainly has all the talent and if a club was confident they could improve the engine he could be a bargain.

Fletcher Roberts does not seemed to have be looked at....thought there was enough last year to suggest he has significant potential...apparently was impressive in the TAC final

Pick #74 Gold Coast - Sam Milne (176cm midfielder - Albury/Murray Bushrangers)

One of my favourite players to come from NSW this year. Your typical hard at it inside midfielder, always throwing himself into the packs and his disposal is neat too. Bit surprised he hasn't gotten more attention from GWS.

Pick #75 Port Adelaide - Thomas Dunne - Central District

One of my favourite Central players, hard at it, can play either end of the ground and is a thumping kick. Breaks away from packs with burst power and often kicks goals, think he'd have a ball sitting on the HFF at AFL level, or across half-back. Has a little x-factor and will to take the punt.

Pick 76 - Brisbane - Kallen Geary

He is playing in Qld so I am assuming he is able to be selected as a zone pick. He has stepped up and excelled at every level he has played and I think he could do the same at AFL level if given the chance. He is an elite endurance athlete and a very good decision maker with the ball. He is an outside / in player who can win his own ball when required. Still only 20 and plenty of upside in him I think.

At the very worst he is a very good NEAFL player who would fit right into the ressies side and give us more run than we had at times this year. We currently have Wrigley and Clarke training with us but I am going another way. I like Geary a lot more than either of those two and would like to get him to the Lions if we could.

This will be Will Young in the real deal, but I thought I'd stear clear of the AFL relistings, thought about Dan Farmer, Max Otten and Jaryd Cachia here too, but for that reason I'll skip. Gave a lot of thought to Sam Dwyer, but as I've had my share of standard mids....

Pick 77 - Adelaide - Sam Chritchley
Won't be too well known, playing school footy this year. He's had to play as a FB due to the lack of size at St Kevs, but he's an Andy Otten type HBF with a raking boot and quite honestly one of the best in this draft class. Pinpoints people over 60. He's no athletic gift to earth though.

# 78 Mebourne - Michael Mascoulis (Northern Knights - Midfielder)

Will leave to HM to do a write up but could be a real bargain for whoever gets him. Very promising player who if can get a decent run without injuries has real scope.

Come the real rookie draft, Fremantle will likely look to some mature aged players. But there aren't really any older midfield types that really stand out to me, maybe I'll think of one before my last pick. So I'll just stick to best available, with my want for some speed thrown in too...

Pick #80 Fremantle - Drew Gallard (188cm midfielder - West Adelaide)

A forgotten player of sorts. He had some wraps on him last year, when he was part of the Henley football factory. But this year hasn't been as eventful for him - named in the SA U18s squad but didn't play, and no invite to either the national or state combines.

He ended up playing in the SANFL U18s, a handful of games in the reserves and made his senior debut for West Adelaide in the Foxtel Cup.

Anyway, Gallard generally plays as a running half back/wing. He is very quick, with a good initial burst. He showed at U18 level that he can be a bit of a ball winner, and went at over 80% disposal efficiency too. Attacks the ball hard, lots to work with and develop. I think he'd prove to be a replacement for Justin Bollenhagen at Fremantle, but I think Gallard will show himself to be the harder worker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back