BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom PSD and Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick #51 West Coast - Haydn Busher (193cm defender/forward - Perth)

I really hope this will be Busher's year. I've been picking him in my drafts for the last three years now. Really cemented his spot in the league side this year, and did so up forward after playing most of the last two years at CHB.

Pick #52 Hawthorn - John McKenzie (177cm midfielder - South Launceston)

The Tasmanian captain this year, and winner of the Harrison Medal for best Division 2 player in the U18 Championships. Hard at it midfielder, who can also go forward.

Pick #53 Collingwood - Cam Eardley (180cm midfielder - East Fremantle)

Just a good all round midfielder, could really play in whatever position you needed. Just needs to win a bit more of the ball at times.

Pick #54 Geelong - Cam Shenton (188cm forward - Norwood)

21 year old forward, excellent talent but has struggled with consistency - in week one of the SANFL finals he kicked 6.3 and the next week he had just five disposals. He is quick on the lead, and a strong mark. Body work has also been improving, and can do it in one on ones and not just on the run now.

Pick #55 GWS - Nick Murphy (193cm forward - Oakleigh)

One of my favourite forwards in the draft. Nearly picked by GWS last year, but has almost fallen off the draft radar this year despite being the leading goal scorer in the TAC Cup. He's been working hard on his endurance this year, which is good because his marking and kicking is already at the required level.

Pick #55 GWS - Nick Murphy (193cm forward - Oakleigh)

One of my favourite forwards in the draft. Nearly picked by GWS last year, but has almost fallen off the draft radar this year despite being the leading goal scorer in the TAC Cup. He's been working hard on his endurance this year, which is good because his marking and kicking is already at the required level.

Finally. That's all I have to say.

Pick 56: Gold Coast - Darren Minchington
Height: 181cm
Weight: 76kg
Club: Dandenong Stingrays

Write up to follow

Oh ok sorry about that.

I will take Damien Volta then

Pick 56: Gold Coast - Damien Volta
Height: 181cm
Weight: 74kg
Club: Eastern Ranges

Volta is a very speculative pick at this stage but he has some draftable attributes. He will take a lot of time though, and needs a fair bit of work. He played predominantly as a midfielder this year for the Rangers, and improved throughout the year, yet struggled a bit to really standup and did not dominate games and take games by the scruff of the neck for his team.

Athletically Volta is elite, his pace is elite, won the Vic School Boys 100m apparently, excellent over 20m and has elite top end pace. Best of all he uses his pace on the field, takes people on, backs himself and can really be damaging. Volta also has nice agility and can move round players well. Unsure on his endurance, but probably about average IMO, could do with some improvement. Skills wise Volta is probably average, has a good handball on him, yet kicking inconsistent, not overly great, yet still not bad, hits most targets and stays within his limitations well. Yet his kicking needs improvement and this will come over time, and with his pace could make him very damaging. He has reasonably clean hands, does not fumble much which is good and hits the ball at pace. Marking is nothing special, however, yet tackles reasonably well and is not afraid to get dirty. As far as position, he played this year as a midfielder, I would like to see him given some time as a HBF as he could be quite damaging. Played mostly as an outside mid and struggled initially in contests and had to be fed the ball to some extent, yet this improved as the year went on and showed some improvement. At the moment he has not dominated games, and I would like to see him really develop his game in the reserves and he is a good rookie IMO. But his pace is just such an asset that will serve him well as a potential AFL player.

Bugger off Offsider Minchington is a swan!

i have been spruiking him all season!

Hahaha I didn't read the first page fully and thought I might have got a steal. But he has a fair bit of talent and potential, I like him more as a midfielder though not a small forward as some think.

Volta is more than adequate compensation.

I have picked some nice players up this rookie draft :D

ok, thought I better get back on top of things, with 3 (1 PSD, 2 rookie draft) picks taken, better provide the write ups.

Pre Season Draft Pick # 6 - Western Bulldogs
Myles Bolger (South Fremantle F.C - WA, 201cm, 90kg, 25.3.93)

Arbuarbly the second best ruck prospect (behind Billy Longer) in this years draft pool.

Talented at the centre square and most ruck situations, he is creative with his tap work being able to use his left, or right hand to advantage of his fleet footed team mates.

Some people have criticised his work around the ground, but he has been able to pull in some ok numbers at WAFL colts level.

He could do more to really stamp himself on the game but the talent is there none the less.

Rookie Draft Pick # 9 - Western Bulldogs
Jye Bolton (Collingwood F.C, 183cm, 81kg, 3.3.92)

Fleet footed wingmen who was plucked from relative obscurity by Collingwood captain Nick Maxwell. Bolton has the capacity to break games open with his run and carry and ability to hit the scoreboard.

He was often named in the bests for the VFL Magpies and being a continual threat on the scoreboard, managing a respectable 15 goals from 16 games (with a haul of 4 against Frankston).

He is strong in the air and confident to break the game open with his run & carry, I managed to catch a couple of his games, and both times he left me wondering "who is this kid?".

At 19, he still has scope for improvement.

Rookie Draft Pick # 27 - Western Bulldogs
Michael Florio (Perth F.C - WA, 191cm, 80kg, 28.2.91)

Extremely gifted athlete who has been on the radar for a couple of years now. Some question marks over his 'hardness' but he seems to have rectified that with some outstanding games playing on a wing or on the ball.

A booming left foot who tested exceptionally well at the testing which should almost certainly see him given his chance.

Rookie Draft Pick # 45 - Western Bulldogs
Marcus Darmody (North Ballarat Roosters, 189cm, 88kg, 26.10.91)

Talented medium defender who really came on this year, he would be a perfect replacement for the aging Ryan Hargreaves and Mitch Hahn with his versatility on show for all to see with his 7 goal showing against Bendigo.

Strong overhead and a smart reader of the play, Darmody could play as early as round 1, 2012.

Next up is Port Adelaide...

Pick #57 Port Adelaide - Ben Gazzola (192cm forward - Norwood)

21 year old tall forward, who it seems didn't measure up as tall as was being reported. Still fairly new to the game, played mostly in the SANFL reserves this year after being recommended by Mark Ricciutio to Nathan Bassett. But he recorded an excellent 20m sprint result, and the best vertical jump at any combine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next up is Port Adelaide...

Pick #57 Port Adelaide - Ben Gazzola (192cm forward - Norwood)

21 year old tall forward, who it seems didn't measure up as tall as was being reported. Still fairly new to the game, played mostly in the SANFL reserves this year after being recommended by Mark Ricciutio to Nathan Bassett. But he recorded an excellent 20m sprint result, and the best vertical jump at any combine.

And those CANNONS ! Biceps the size of John Nicholls thighs.

Pick 58 - Brisbane - Mitch Brewer

This is the first of my zone picks. Michael is currently training with the Lions and you would think he has the inside running for this pick but with him being taken by someone else I will go with Brewer. Brewer is still pretty raw but has very good size about him and has shown nice development over the last year or so. He would provide a big body to throw around to protect the slighter ressies players. At 110 odd kgs he is a big lad and very physical. He has been a bit of a BF special and was not invited to State Screening but there are worse options out there and would be worth a rookie slot.

Tempted to go Aaron Hall here, but instead.

Pick 59 - Adelaide - Tim Totevski.

Small forward with some inside mid ability. Best assets are his explosive first step, balance and clean hands. He's quick, agile and a good tackler which should see him fit the small forward role well. Has a lot of size to put on yet, very short and light.

Pick #60 Melbourne - Harry Cunningham (181cm midfielder - Turvey Park)

One of the better prospects out of NSW, is currently training with the Swans so one would think they'll pick him up with one of their concessions. But not in this draft. Outside midfielder with excellent speed and agility.

Pick #61 Richmond - Matt Suckling (181cm midfielder - Norwood)

Matt Suckling is a mature age (22 next season) strong bodied inside midfielder who is hard at the contest and has good kicking skills.

After failing to be drafted from the Sandy Dragons (twice) Suckling was recruited to Port Melbourne before quickly moving to Norwood in the SANFL.

Matt has established himself as an elite midfielder in the SA competition leading the league in clearances and hand balls where he maintained 83% efficiency. Hard hitting defensive pressure is also a standout in suckling’s game.

Matt’s drafting experiences haven’t been great over the years having trained with the Tigers only to be overlooked and he also mistakenly believed he was drafted to Hawthorn when they took their Matt Suckling from Wagga.

Hopefully he gets lucky this year as he has certainly worked diligently enough for it.

Pick #62 Fremantle - Dylan Orval (192cm forward - Oakleigh)

The last of the KPFs that I really like, so figured I might as well take him here. With four out of my five selections being KPPs, you can't accuse Fremantle of drafting too short this time around.

Orval missed 12 months because of a knee injury, so I suppose he might be considered a risky selection. But he was rated pretty highly before the injury, so hopefully it proves to be a bargain selection instead.

His kicking would be the standout feature of his game for me, accurate and long. Also a really good mark. If it wasn't for missing so much time through injury, then I imagine he would have gone inside the top 50 in the national draft.

As an Essendon supporter, I would prefer a Mitch Brewer than Michael, looks like he is going to be zoned to Brisbane anyways.

Reckon micHael is better with more upside as well. Legitimate two metro athlete and great kid to boot. Brisbane would be bonkers to pass On him. In reality sandilands or Sinclair mite be the go here. Campbell as well as a developing type.

Pick #64 North Melbourne - Michael Musicka (184cm midfielder - South Launceston)

I've gotten on board the bandwagon heading into the rookie draft (I may or may not be the only one on it at the moment) and think Musicka could prove to be a smart buy. Quick running player, through the midfield or off half back. Came back strongly after some being disciplined earlier in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back