BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom PSD and Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Really like my selections so far.

Haiden Schloithe adds big time tackling pressure inside 50 as well as that real danger factor and goal sense inside 50.

Not exactly a need, but my belief is that he is a better talent than recent small forward additions. Is better than just a depth player and my strong belief is that he will make the grade - which is what you look for from rookie selections.

Ben Brown adds to our ruck and key forward stocks. Again not a need. But the talent is there. In 2010 had a serious knee injury but I'm confident that he will that he will put injury behind him and go on to develop into a really unique talent with a couple of years in the AFL system as either a no.2 ruckman or a key forward.

Both going into the national draft I had listed inside my top 30 talents in this years draft, so naturally in the rookie draft I'm incredibly pleased to add talents I rate so highly.

#43 - Richmond Tigers - WILLIE WHEELER Coburg Tigers / Murray Bushrangers
HEIGHT: 178cm; WEIGHT: 75kg (that seems too light to me) DOB: 92

This is the right up I did in the Trial Run after the champs earlier in the year.

Wheeler is a goal kicking clearance player with good skills and a nice burst of pace. Willie was the joint best and fairest winner with the Bushrangers last year along with North Melbourne first round draft pick Shaun Atley. Since being overlooked in the 2010 draft he moved to Melbourne to play for Coburg in the VFL. After a few games in the reserves Wheeler was quickly promoted to the seniors and really has not looked like taking a backwards step since.

Wheeler has an uncanny ability at the stoppages and can be creative in bringing the ball out of congestion. He displays great work ethic with solid second and third efforts and love for tackling, His kicking is elite over shot distances and he has a terrific goal sense for an inside midfielder.

Obviously height is Wheeler's biggest issue but his strength in the one on one situation particularly in marking contests is quite good for a player of his size.

With AFL success stories such as the likes of Jarrad Blair at the Pies I think Wheeler is more than capable in playing a similar role.

Wheeler's consistency and ability almost to the point of dominance in some games at VFL level is something rarely seen by a non AFL listed player of his age.

Coburg coach Potter has said in his 6 years he's been involved in the VFL he has never seen a player come out of the TAC and have such a great impact, averaging 25 possessions a game.

AFL comparison would have to be Andrew Swallow of Nth

I almost took Egger here, I'm surprised he is still available actually.

Write-up for Ben Hansen - Sturt - 177cm 71kg

Some of you may say who? but have been watching Hansen carefully over the past 2-3 years and he is a bright talent. Not tall by any means but an excellent rebounding back-pocket to half-back, racked up a very high number of rebound 50's, something around 9 per game. For a small bloke he does have a lovely kick, can kick them hard and flat and also long and accurately. Good user out of defence, has pace but is probably not AFL quick. Loves to attack, gathers the ball at the drop and quickly accelerates before disposing, makes quick decisions.

Perhaps needs to bulk up a bit though, would be pushed off the ball at AFL level and perhaps not get his kicks so easily and quickly which may affect his disposal quality. But from each level he has stepped up from (Under 18's, ressies and league) he has handled the jump with ease.

A nice left-field pick up here. Certainly a lovely kick

Pick 6 - Melbourne - Tom Sundberg - 183cm 83kg

Almost as much of a needs pick as anything, but Sundberg could easily have gone in the ND or as a prelisted player to GWS, so I don't see this as a reach.

One of the best mids in the VFL this year, perhaps a little unfashionable, but can just flat-out play the game. Incredibly hard and willing worker, can play inside but gut-run outside, and provides a tough mature body in the centre for the Dees who've sometimes seemed in need of one - particularly now that Scully has gone he'll provide a welcome chopout for the likes of Trengove and Gysberts (who shouldn't be asked to shoulder full-time centre-square duties at the current stage of their careers) and Moloney (who had a massive year last year buy can't do it himself). Would expect to play round 1, and while he'll probably end up being more of a Ben Howlett standard player than a Michael Barlow, that's certainly no disgrace and I can see him playing a valuable role for the Dees over the next few years.

Pick 24 - Melbourne - Courtney Hylton - 184cm 87kg

People must be getting bored with me picking this guy. Quick, attacking half-back who had an excellent year for the Jets as a 19yo despite a few injuries that slowed him up towards the end of the season. Evasive and can break the lines running out of defence. Disposal is good but favours handball too much - don't think his kicking is a problem, he just lacks confidence in it, which limits his hurt factor. Doesn't mind doing a lock-down job for the team, and can do it effectively. Intelligent and level-headed by all reports, physically ready to go round 1.

Pick 42 - Melbourne - Lachlan Fairley - 193cm 83kg

Eligible f/s for North, but they sniped Hawthorn's f/s, so what goes around, comes around... Hardworking and honest kpp, perhaps lacking a little bit of brilliance. Nice closing speed and sticks to his task - even when Patton (in his hot streak of early season form) kicked 6 on him, was at his shoulder all the way and stopped as many goals as he let through. Strong hands, but can be muscled aside by bigger guys at this point. Gets a huge amount of ball for a kpp, through hurt factor not perhaps as good as it might be unless he's kicking on goal. 19yo, but still needs to beef up a bit. Ability to play either end is a plus - moved forward later in the TAC season and managed some respectable bags.

After getting Zac Dawson and Jackson Coleman already, I think I can afford to go for more of a project tall here. Even though there are some more relatively ready made players I like...

Pick #44 Fremantle - Dylan Gabron-Uhe (190cm defender - Sandringham)

Not a lot to Gabron-Uhe at 190cm and 76kg, but he has been playing at CHB in the TAC Cup and has even had stints in the ruck during his short AFL career. Yet another player with a basketball background too, and like the others he has a good leap and athleticism - highlighted best by his speed.

Definitely needs to bulk up a bit, and with more experience he'll become generally smarter and cleaner with the ball. But he has already shown glimpses of what he can do, both defensively and offensively.

Gabron-Uhe is a really exciting prospect, and he is still largely untapped potential at this stage. I'm looking forward to seeing how far he develops after two years in the AFL system.

Snoop Dog I think tigers will pounce for him early.How bad is his foot skills it seems to worry a few people.Besides that looks the goods.

# 7 GWS - John McCarthy (Collingwood)

Quality midfielder who has slipped thru. Woudl walk into most other midfields in the competition. Has played some very handy games for Collingwood but he has just been injured at the wrong times. Hard and aggressive and has good endurance but just needs a chance. The one knock I have on Macca is hit foot skills under pressure need work.

The bulldogs have only 5 rookie picks to choose from, not 6.

Jason Johannisen is the only rookie we've retained and we have two players on the veterans list (Lake, Gilbee/Hargrave) which means we have 5 vacant spots.

Western Bulldogs - Pick # 45

Marcus Darmody (Northern Bullants)

Smart and versatile medium defender who has also had some success as a forward.

smart player with strong hands, he is terrific with his body, 1:1, really came on this year.

Will do a full write up (along with my other picks tonight).

Thanks for that Bulldogsman, I have a couple of players up my sleeve who I am fairly confident will be there this late.

What do you think so far Bulldogsman? Are we happy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick #47 Essendon - Sam Michael (200cm ruckman/defender - Redlands)

Big kid from Queensland. Perhaps didn't have the season that many were hoping for, but the talent is still there. An AFL/AIS graduate.

As an Essendon supporter, I would prefer a Mitch Brewer than Michael, looks like he is going to be zoned to Brisbane anyways.

Snoop Dog I think tigers will pounce for him early.How bad is his foot skills it seems to worry a few people.Besides that looks the goods.

# 7 GWS - John McCarthy (Collingwood)

Quality midfielder who has slipped thru. Woudl walk into most other midfields in the competition. Has played some very handy games for Collingwood but he has just been injured at the wrong times. Hard and aggressive and has good endurance but just needs a chance. The one knock I have on Macca is hit foot skills under pressure need work.

i would be very surprised if you didnt select him. He is hard, has the ability to play in the midfield rotation and can play fwd albeit he didnt do it a lot. His foot skills to me are ok its just that sometimes he doesnt lower his eyes enough in traffic and just bangs it out. If he can fix that he will be a much better player.

As an Essendon supporter, I would prefer a Mitch Brewer than Michael, looks like he is going to be zoned to Brisbane anyways.

I probably wouldn't draft Brewer at all this year, nothing wrong with guys who have come from relatively nowhere but I don't see what the hype is about. Whereas Michael was highly rated coming into the season, but has dropped off after some inconsistent performances. Most importantly though is the fact that he could be a legitimate KPP option, in addition to playing in the ruck.

We will zone him though so other teams will not get a shot at him. He was going to be my next selection figuring no-one would be taking the Qlders.

Helped himself more than any other at the State Testing by measuring in 4cms taller than listed. Suddenly he is a legit ruck size and the disappointing KP games this year can be overlooked in favour of the couple of real strong games in the ruck. Great kid too apparently.

OK, my turn again. :)

I am not sure, but I think we have to include Matt Lodge here. He is a NSW scholarship lad and we've commited to him. I'm not sure what the rules are for these lads. if they have to be included as normal rookies, then he needs to be selected and this would be our last pick. If we don't have to name Lodge here, then I'll go for Chad Sandilands. He might take 4 years to be ready, but we have ruckmen to cover us for a few years.

If anyone out there can confirm what must be done, I'd be grateful.

Pick 50: Carlton: Matt Lodge (NSW scholarship)
Matt is a key defender with a beautiful kick, but at 186 cm I can't see him as a KPP. Still, he was the NSW/ACT Rams FB this year and he did the job well.

Otherwise:
Carlton: Chad Sandilands (East Fremantle)
Chad is the 17 year old brother of Docker giant Aaron and at 204 - 205 cm he is still growing and still getting used to his height. He has only played Colts footy and looks pretty raw. It will take him a while to get his body AFL ready, but he is worth the risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back