Analysis Best & worst top 10 draft picks per draft number

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess what you're all saying is - Oliver isn't remotely close to the GOAT for Pick 4? I know I'd have Kennedy, Bont, Matera and Pavlich all ahead of Oliver.

There's also argument for Andrew Gaff, Scott Lucas and Justin Leppitsch, depending on how you rate each of them

Seems to be a good pick though. Max King to feature now as well.

Had a nice read through this thread. The Riewoldt vs Hodge debate is fascinating. I personally think this idea of Hodge as an ultra exceptional leader is a bit overblown. The guy was done for drink driving. He also played his best football floating across half back. Riewoldt played in the hardest position on the ground and change the game in terms of the aerobic requirements of key forwards. He would gut run his opponents into the ground and I think was a strong leader. Comfortably one of the best players I've seen and was considered a contender for best player in the afl while the likes of Voss, Hird and Buckley (all of whom are better than Hodge) were running around.

Hodge has this aura and undoubtedly performed on the biggest stage. He will rightfully go down as a great of our game but if I had to choose between Riewoldt and Hodge I would choose Riewoldt every day of the week. He was and is the ultimate modern footballer.

Just my opinion

Best ten
1 - Nick Reiwoldt 2000
2- Trent Cotchin 2007
3- Dustin Martin 2009
4-Peter - Matera 1989
5- Buddy Franklin 2004
6- Chad Wingard 2011
7- Cris Johnson 1993
8- Joel Corey 1999
9 - Martin Pike 1992
10 -Nathan Brown 1996

Worst 10
1- Richard lounder 1988
2-steven Simms 1987
3- Daniel Donato 1990
4-Tim Walsh 2002
5-Daniel McAllister 1996
6-Mitch Thorpe 2006
7-Danny Roach 1999
8-leigh Brockman 1996
9-David Trotter 2003
10- Brandon Hill 1998

Last edited:

People need to stop using team achievements to talk up a player.
Wonder if you still feel the same about this now that your mob has won a couple of flags recently?

Worst Top 10 :

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls
Cale Morton
Laurence Angwin
Jonathan O'Rourke
Kayne Pettifer
Andrew Moore
Tim Walsh
Brendan Fewster
Riley Dunn
Luke Molan

Think you are being a bit harsh on this bloke

Played 113 games for 132 goals as a foward in a struggling team , Think he is a long way from being on that list

The world where he sacrificed his own elite midfield game to lead Hawthorn to 3 premierships (winning 4 in total) and 2 norm smith medals by playing any role necessary to get the job done (as a key defender essentially in 2008 where he directly stopped 16 of Geelong's 64 inside 50 entries) or by kicking key critical goals in the 2014 and 2015 grand finals.

Nick couldn't even kick a goal from 1m out in a GF when he had his shot.
Yeah still not a better player than Nick

Try again

In the wider scheme of things, forwards on par with Nick Riewoldt are common. Pavlich, Brown, Fevola, Tredrea, Roughead, J.Riewoldt, Gehrig, J.Kennedy, the list goes on. Nick Riewoldt is a Zero Coleman winner, Zero Brownlow winner, Zero Premiership Player. What cause does history have to remember him? In 50 years few non-St.Kilda fans will know his name.

Whereas Luke Hodge is a football immortal destined to become a future AFL Legend.... and that my friends is the difference.
Fevola, Roughead, Jack, Gehrig and Kennedy on par with Rooey

My sides....

Fevola, Roughead, Jack, Gehrig and Kennedy on par with Rooey

My sides....
Jack and Kennedy are close to the same tbf. But yeah, Carey didn't win a Coleman and he's arguably the greatest player ever.

People need to stop using team achievements to talk up a player.

You understand that team achievements happen as a result of the players?

Luke Hodge is one of the great leaders of all time, he performed in big games and led his team to lots of premierships. Luke Hodge made his teammates walk taller.

Nick Riewoldt was an outstanding footballer but if offered a choice between the two, only a complete simpleton takes the Saint.

For the best 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are clear.

1 - Hodge/Reiwoldt
2 - Lappin/Roughead/Primus/Kelly/Cotchin/Taranto
3 - Judd/Martin
4 - Matera/Bontempelli/Pavlich
6 - Wingard/Macrae

The worst is tough.
Kelly for pick 2? Coniglio? Nic Nat? Thomas? Ottens? All are as good as Lappin/Roughead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly for pick 2? Coniglio? Nic Nat? Thomas? Ottens? All are as good as Lappin/Roughead.

Kelly will end up in the debate. I forgot Coniglio though.
Personally I think there's enough of a gap between Nic Nat, Daisy and Otto to not include them alongside Lappin and Roughead. In all 3 cases it's down to consistency. At their best though, all 3 are on that level.

Kelly will end up in the debate. I forgot Coniglio though.
Personally I think there's enough of a gap between Nic Nat, Daisy and Otto to not include them alongside Lappin and Roughead. In all 3 cases it's down to consistency. At their best though, all 3 are on that level.
Ottens was a better player than Primus IMO too, he was an excellent ruck and more than handy as a forward too. As for consistency for the other two, that's a fair argument.

Ottens was a better player than Primus IMO too, he was an excellent ruck and more than handy as a forward too. As for consistency for the other two, that's a fair argument.

Admittedly the arguments I made against Nic Nat and Daisy should work against Primus too. Primus peak was slightly higher than Otto for mine, but Otto did get an extra 85 games.

The team you play in shouldn't define you. Hodge was lucky to be drafted into a dynasty, Riewoldt not so much.

Hodge was a large part of creating the dynasty. We were utter garbage when he was drafted and he significantly helped to change the club.

Admittedly the arguments I made against Nic Nat and Daisy should work against Primus too. Primus peak was slightly higher than Otto for mine, but Otto did get an extra 85 games.
Primus' peak was too short for me, but admittedly I was very young at his peak. Ottens for me is the second best ruck from 2000 till now, even ahead of Sandi, although Grundy is chasing him down. Guy was a legitimate gun.

Primus' peak was too short for me, but admittedly I was very young at his peak. Ottens for me is the second best ruck from 2000 till now, even ahead of Sandi, although Grundy is chasing him down. Guy was a legitimate gun.

Cox and Gawn are miles ahead of both Ottens and Primus. Grundy will be better than all of them.

Cox and Gawn are miles ahead of both Ottens and Primus. Grundy will be better than all of them.
Miles? Please.

Also Cox is head and shoulders above everyone else at this point in time. Grundy, on his current trajectory, might be as good as Cox. Key word might. You seriously underrate how good he was.

Miles? Please.

Also Cox is head and shoulders above everyone else at this point in time. Grundy, on his current trajectory, might be as good as Cox. Key word might. You seriously underrate how good he was.

Either way, Ottens is not the 2nd best ruckman of the last 20 years.

I don't underrate Cox at all. I stated that he and Gawn were miles ahead of Primus and Ottens. And they are. I am not sure what point you are trying to make. My opinion is that Grundy will eventually surpass all of them. That is an opinion.

Either way, Ottens is not the 2nd best ruckman of the last 20 years.
I disagree. At this point in time Ottens is still ahead of Grundy and Gawn and Sandilands, who is ahead of both right now by the way.

They changed ruck rules because of Primus when he was at his peak. Was an awesome ruckman and leader

Fremantle drafted a player in the 1995 draft at pick 7 and delisted him before the start of the season. You can't get much dudder decision making than that.

But then I suppose that's not as bad as the early pick list clogger who fans keep pinning their hope on, hours of wasted energy spent defending him year after year hoping he will eventually come good - only to be left disappointed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back