Vic Best and worst areas of Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dandenong and Springvale are far bigger shitholes. Springy at least has some nice food. Good authentic Vietnamese food and the market, but you go there at your own peril. There's no reason to go to Dandenong unless you want the Aghanistan experience except the guy beheading you isn't Taliban but a meth head or deranged African.

I've spoken to people who made it to settle in Dandenong from Afghanistan, and they tell me they've felt more scared for their lives in their new home than they ever did in their old one.

Generally suburbs that have for a long-time been the haven of low-quality Australians (the unemployed, drug addicts, lunatics) and are also the homes of low-quality migrants are the worst. Places like St. Albans, Tarneit, Truganina where the African youth are just out of control and no one is doing anything at all about it. Then places like Dandenong, Springvale, Noble Park, etc. where you can feel poverty and general dodginess inscribed in the fabric of the place. Walk around for a minute and you're seeing drug deals in broad daylight, punch-ons and probably someone pulling a knife on someone.

yowza… you are on the list. You clearly have a difficulty with poor people.

I live in Fascist Beige Rock. You should move here. You’d have plenty of friends.

Brunswick West is amazingly dead
that surprised me too - i liked it though

pascoe vale south is quite nice - close enough to DFO and sydney road - yet still south of bell street

Since moving to Australia in 2018, I've lived in Cheltenham, South Melbourne, Brunswick West, Coburg and Fawkner.

I didn't really care for Cheltenham, and Brunswick West is amazingly dead. I loved South Melbourne, and I really loved Coburg - but both were out of my price range when buying. I had a lot of doubts on Fawkner originally when I moved, but I love it here now - even if I'm the only white fella lol
There used to be a great pizza place on Moreland Rd??

What was once a great city is hardly recognisable today. Melbourne has been going backwards for the past two decades, it accelerated under Dictator Dan and may not be salvageable, there are still some good parts in the place, but it reminds me of a city where it "used to happen"...

What was once a great city is hardly recognisable today. Melbourne has been going backwards for the past two decades, it accelerated under Dictator Dan and may not be salvageable, there are still some good parts in the place, but it reminds me of a city where it "used to happen"...

Still living rent free, hey?

Still living rent free, hey?
Hardly, i'm finding it as tough as anyone, but i've watched this wonderful city deteriorate rapidly this century. I used to go see bands nightly in Carlton, Collingwood, Fitzroy and Richmond without a problem in the world in the 80s and 90s, now i can't stand driving through those mad greenie suburbs anymore. I do my very best to avoid them as much as i can, as for the miserable CBD, if i never set foot in it again, i won't miss it. I stick to my own little patch and keep away from Melbourne's looney brigade and this state has a lot of them.

Hardly, i'm finding it as tough as anyone, but i've watched this wonderful city deteriorate rapidly this century. I used to go see bands nightly in Carlton, Collingwood, Fitzroy and Richmond without a problem in the world in the 80s and 90s, now i can't stand driving through those mad greenie suburbs anymore. I do my very best to avoid them as much as i can, as for the miserable CBD, if i never set foot in it again, i won't miss it. I stick to my own little patch and keep away from Melbourne's looney brigade and this state has a lot of them.

My wife and I had a day off during the week and we thought we'd spend a day in the city before heading out to the Praccy match at Ikon Park.
Had a counter meal at Y & J's, all good. Wife wanted to see Hosier Lane and AC/DC lane for the graffiti art etc. Hosier lane was just full of colourful art that had tags and s**t scrawled all over the top of it. Halfway down, there's another laneway on the left, you look down there and there's about 15 guys doing deals, very ordinary. AC/DC lane was okay.
You see random junkies screaming on the streets but after the initial surprise, you stop noticing them.
Fed Square has no soul, just a big concrete space. The State Library is wonderful and a real treasure.
The Block Arcade and Royal Arcade are also wonderful to walk through and observe.
On the whole though, Melbourne seems lifeless and bland with no real vibe anymore

Wow it must suck being so old and miserable that you can't enjoy our most fun and exciting areas.

Not sure how politics affects being able to see bands in the area.

Haven't been to Melbourne too much but lived in Burwood East for a few months and found that pretty safe. Alot of Asian students so it felt like they were scared of me! Then lived in Dandenong north for 6 months. Spent a lot of time walking and catching public transport between dandy, noble park and out to Keysborough late at night. Never had an issue but was definitely sketchy. Being from very regional areas I was always alert, thinking ahead and never complacent in any situation. If someone was approaching me who I thought may be a threat I would just change the way I walk.

Posting to give Moonee Ponds/Essendon some love
It was my home away from home for a couple of years and I already miss it
It offered the perfect balance between demographic, cost of renting (and buying for that matter) , proximity and amenities/PT options and if I stayed in Melbourne I would've gone out of my way to buy there, despite cost

On the whole though, Melbourne seems lifeless and bland with no real vibe anymore

They make the effort to have the city looking clean and shiny for AFL grand final week.

It would be nice if it looked that good not for just one week of the year.

Fed square/Flinders Street station is starting to get a San Francisco vibe to it and that is not a compliment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posting to give Moonee Ponds/Essendon some love
It was my home away from home for a couple of years and I already miss it
It offered the perfect balance between demographic, cost of renting (and buying for that matter) , proximity and amenities/PT options and if I stayed in Melbourne I would've gone out of my way to buy there, despite cost
Used to go to Windy Hill gym from Brunswick West. Essendon seemed very nice.

Used to go to Windy Hill gym from Brunswick West. Essendon seemed very nice.
I loved going to the VFL and AFLW at Windy Hill . Windy Hill was also part of one daily evening walk option, as was Queens Park.

From my experience, many of the outer western suburb locations commonly thrown up in "worst" discussions are genuinely no worse, often better, than their eastern equivalents. Often they're much closer to the city as well and their roads are much less congested. A lot of snobs who wouldn't dare cross the Yarra.

That being said, probably wouldn't head to Melton any time soon

From my experience, many of the outer western suburb locations commonly thrown up in "worst" discussions are genuinely no worse, often better, than their eastern equivalents. Often they're much closer to the city as well and their roads are much less congested. A lot of snobs who wouldn't dare cross the Yarra.

That being said, probably wouldn't head to Melton any time soon

The ex-crim Spanian did a video from there recently, I'm going to continue my strategy of only driving through Melton when I have to and not stopping.

People act like Melton is Broadmeadows in the 90's when it's not even the most dangerous suburb in Melbourne lmao.

I mean I drive straight through it too, but that's only because it's kinda boring and there really isn't much to do there.

People act like Melton is Broadmeadows in the 90's when it's not even the most dangerous suburb in Melbourne lmao.

I mean I drive straight through it too, but that's only because it's kinda boring and there really isn't much to do there.
i wonder how many people trashing suburbs have much direct experience with them vs reading about them in the news or on facebook groups

St Albans is pretty rough. I'm from the area and will not go there unless I absolutely have to.

Went to Sunshine the other day and it's not amazing but I don't dread going there.

Proper s**t myself walking through Footscray last year and regretted going there. Got abused and tailed by 2 blokes getting out of my car but they gave up eventually.

Caroline Springs was mentioned before. No chance. Not even close to the worst. Never felt unsafe there.

Melton. No reason to ever go there apart from occasionally for work. Have mates who live there who say it's fine.

Laverton is completely soulless. Tarneit is a stinker. Throw Truganina in that category too. Also rarely have any reason to ever venture to these suburbs.

None of these suburbs are inherently bad, or even unsafe. I have never had an issue in St Albans and I've been near there for over 30 years. We're pretty lucky here in Australia on the whole.

St Albans is pretty rough. I'm from the area and will not go there unless I absolutely have to.

Went to Sunshine the other day and it's not amazing but I don't dread going there.

Proper s**t myself walking through Footscray last year and regretted going there. Got abused and tailed by 2 blokes getting out of my car but they gave up eventually.

Caroline Springs was mentioned before. No chance. Not even close to the worst. Never felt unsafe there.

Melton. No reason to ever go there apart from occasionally for work. Have mates who live there who say it's fine.

Laverton is completely soulless. Tarneit is a stinker. Throw Truganina in that category too. Also rarely have any reason to ever venture to these suburbs.

None of these suburbs are inherently bad, or even unsafe. I have never had an issue in St Albans and I've been near there for over 30 years. We're pretty lucky here in Australia on the whole.
Haven't you contradicted yourself with your first and last statements?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back