Vic Best and worst areas of Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Being a Doggies supporter as well it is good to get to know the inner west area. Yarraville village has a great charm. I went to the Yarraville festival earlier in the year. Highpoint shopping centre in Maribyrnong is certainly on par with Chadstone.

I would say the west from where I am in the east is pretty easy to get to. I go via Victoria Street/Pde, Hawke St, West Melbourne, Spencer St which becomes Dynon Road typically to get there. You don't need to go on the West Gate.
I used to work there circa late 1990s, the place is nothing like it used to be back then. Has undergone several re-developments.

Having said that I rarely go out there now lol. Prefer DFO.

South East has to be Clayton or Noble Park but never really been to Noble Park to really know. Mainly just has a bad name overall.
Dandenong and Springvale are far bigger shitholes. Springy at least has some nice food. Good authentic Vietnamese food and the market, but you go there at your own peril. There's no reason to go to Dandenong unless you want the Aghanistan experience except the guy beheading you isn't Taliban but a meth head or deranged African.

I've spoken to people who made it to settle in Dandenong from Afghanistan, and they tell me they've felt more scared for their lives in their new home than they ever did in their old one.

Generally suburbs that have for a long-time been the haven of low-quality Australians (the unemployed, drug addicts, lunatics) and are also the homes of low-quality migrants are the worst. Places like St. Albans, Tarneit, Truganina where the African youth are just out of control and no one is doing anything at all about it. Then places like Dandenong, Springvale, Noble Park, etc. where you can feel poverty and general dodginess inscribed in the fabric of the place. Walk around for a minute and you're seeing drug deals in broad daylight, punch-ons and probably someone pulling a knife on someone.

Dandenong and Springvale are far bigger shitholes. Springy at least has some nice food. Good authentic Vietnamese food and the market, but you go there at your own peril. There's no reason to go to Dandenong unless you want the Aghanistan experience except the guy beheading you isn't Taliban but a meth head or deranged African.

I've spoken to people who made it to settle in Dandenong from Afghanistan, and they tell me they've felt more scared for their lives in their new home than they ever did in their old one.

Generally suburbs that have for a long-time been the haven of low-quality Australians (the unemployed, drug addicts, lunatics) and are also the homes of low-quality migrants are the worst. Places like St. Albans, Tarneit, Truganina where the African youth are just out of control and no one is doing anything at all about it. Then places like Dandenong, Springvale, Noble Park, etc. where you can feel poverty and general dodginess inscribed in the fabric of the place. Walk around for a minute and you're seeing drug deals in broad daylight, punch-ons and probably someone pulling a knife on someone.

It's really not that bad at all dude 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I do wonder if east actually care about the west. And or the west care about the east.

Similarly but directionally different north vs south.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Idk, I think there probably is some rivalry there maybe?

As far as places Ive been out east I could list them easily here: Brighton, Noble Park, Mt Eliza, Portsea/Sorrento/Mt Martha. I think I went to Surrey Hills once for an interview. I think that's about it tbh.

Oh yeah and Waverly a couple of times for AFL games

As far as places Ive been out east I could list them easily here: Brighton, Noble Park, Mt Eliza, Portsea/Sorrento/Mt Martha. I think I went to Surrey Hills once for an interview. I think that's about it tbh.

It's interesting how everyone thinks of things relatively and I'd be exactly the same in the other direction: Surrey Hills is the only one of those that I'd really think of as "east". But that's how it really ends up. I remember reading a while back that around Glen Iris was the population centre of Melbourne.

You've got your home suburb and maybe a 10km diameter around that. You've got the journey from home to work and the journey from home to the city (could be one and the same) and then a couple of other random spots: where immediate family and close friends live, a regular holiday spot or whatever. Everything else is just words on a map. Slight exaggeration but the west to me is the Ring Road on the way to Geelong and the Surf Coast.

I don't think I've ever been to Williamstown, I went to Footscray a few times maybe 10 years ago looking at houses and quite liked it, but I've no plans to go back. Never been around Essendon and that area. Same story for me with the Sandringham line. We used to go to Rye and Phillip Island a bit when I was younger, but it's always the other side of the bay for us now and I haven't been there (or the suburbs on the way there) in many years.

It's why Silent Alarm used to make me laugh. The guy had been in Melbourne for like two years and wanted to give his opinion on every suburb on the map.

It's interesting how everyone thinks of things relatively and I'd be exactly the same in the other direction: Surrey Hills is the only one of those that I'd really think of as "east". But that's how it really ends up.

You've got your home suburb and maybe a 10km diameter around that. You've got the journey from home to work and the journey from home to the city (could be one and the same) and then a couple of other random spots: where immediate family and close friends live, a regular holiday spot or whatever. Everything else is just words on a map. Slight exaggeration but the west to me is the Ring Road on the way to Geelong and the Surf Coast.

I don't think I've ever been to Williamstown, I went to Footscray a few times maybe 10 years ago looking at houses and quite liked it, but I've no plans to go back. Never been around Essendon and that area. Same story for me with the Sandringham line. We used to go to Rye and Phillip Island a bit when I was younger, but it's always the other side of the bay for us now and I haven't been there (or the suburbs on the way there) in many years.

It's why Silent Alarm used to make me laugh. The guy had been in Melbourne for like two years and wanted to give his opinion on every suburb on the map.
I havent been to Williamstown in years, but used to go there quite a bit when I was with my ex. Alot of nice restaurants around there. Footscray- yeah look, an old friend of mine lives out there. Not for me tho.

Otherside of the bay has been like a second home to me. Geelong/Bellarine, love that area. Have not been down to Apollo Bay tho going on almost 8 or so years now. It's been far too long, I should get back down there soon.

I havent been to Williamstown in years, but used to go there quite a bit when I was with my ex. Alot of nice restaurants around there. Footscray- yeah look, an old friend of mine lives out there. Not for me tho.

Otherside of the bay has been like a second home to me. Geelong/Bellarine, love that area. Have not been down to Apollo Bay tho going on almost 8 or so years now. It's been far too long, I should get back down there soon.
It's a real first world problem and one I'm very happy to have at the moment, but having access to a holiday house really narrows the opportunities to see more of the state, though it's obviously better for the hip pocket.

We're just going to default to Queenscliff as our holiday spot during school holidays for the foreseeable future and we love it there, the kids are comfortable, so there's not much point in us doing an Air BnB to Blairgowrie or something for a week away, when we can just go with the tried and true.

It's a real first world problem and one I'm very happy to have at the moment, but having access to a holiday house really narrows the opportunities to see more of the state, though it's obviously better for the hip pocket.

We're just going to default to Queenscliff as our holiday spot during school holidays for the foreseeable future and we love it there, the kids are comfortable, so there's not much point in us doing an Air BnB to Blairgowrie or something for a week away, when we can just go with the tried and true.
Queenscliff is lovely. Love the ferry.

My parents have always owned a holiday house down the Bellarine (funnily enough their old house in Portarlington was on the market for the first time since they sold it in 1989, recently. We dont think it sold it disappeared from the domain website) , am so lucky to have access it. Will probably stay there for a few weeks in January.

Queenscliff is lovely. Love the ferry.

My parents have always owned a holiday house down the Bellarine (funnily enough their old house in Portarlington was on the market for the first time since they sold it in 1989, recently. We dont think it sold it disappeared from the domain website) , am so lucky to have access it. Will probably stay there for a few weeks in January.
Yeah it's gold to get down that way in the mid-late January window before Australia Day where it's died down a bit. We're down there as soon as we can after school finishes until Christmas Eve, before it gets silly. I love the winter school holidays down that way too where it's so quiet and you feel like a local.

I feel like I still even have a lot of the Bellarine to tap into before I worry about other places. We grew up going to St Leonards and with the kids to consider, we don't even get much chance to go out that way for a quiet lunch or a couple of drinks. I'd love to get out to Portarlington, Drysdale, Indented Head. Looking forward to the kids being a bit older.

Yeah it's gold to get down that way in the mid-late January window before Australia Day where it's died down a bit. We're down there as soon as we can after school finishes until Christmas Eve, before it gets silly. I love the winter school holidays down that way too where it's so quiet and you feel like a local.

I feel like I still even have a lot of the Bellarine to tap into before I worry about other places. We grew up going to St Leonards and with the kids to consider, we don't even get much chance to go out that way for a quiet lunch or a couple of drinks. I'd love to get out to Portarlington, Drysdale, Indented Head. Looking forward to the kids being a bit older.
I dont mind the crowds tbh- its not that bad. I usually head down just before new years (stuff driving down on Boxing Day, no thank you). The key is when you need to access the shops/supermarket get there early in the morning. Otherwise the crowds never really bother me that much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i find brighton more south than east. but can be seen as east certainly if you're west of the place.

Ive always thought of east as Ringwood etc.

I grew up south east but live in the west atm. It's all a much of a muchness. The west is nicer than I had thought outside of the traffic. It has it's bad pockets no different than the bad pockets in the east.

I'd probably say Melton is the worst suburb in Melbourne overall but it's barely Melbourne.

Here's a fun fact about Fawkner.

99.9% of its streets and therefore residents lie within the bounds of the City of Moreland.

There is a wedge of five streets (four tiny side streets running south off Mahoneys to dead ends above the Ring Road, and the south side of Mahoneys Road itself between the crossing of the Ring Road/Mahoneys Road bridge and the intersection of Mahoneys and Sydney Roads) that are in the suburb of Fawkner, yet stranded in the City of Hume with Campbellfield, Broadmeadows and so on.

It is quite bizarre.

My station for seven years was Fawkner. You can see the graves from the platforms. It is...different.
Been living in Fawkner since June and it's an unfairly maligned suburb in my opinion - the bad things that happen here are related to organised crime. If you're not involved, you've nothing to worry about.

Been living in Fawkner since June and it's an unfairly maligned suburb in my opinion - the bad things that happen here are related to organised crime. If you're not involved, you've nothing to worry about.

Inc Shop lifting ...

Heard one local supermarket going broke .
Because of lost sales in the chocolate bar .

Inc Shop lifting ...

Heard one local supermarket going broke .
Because of lost sales in the chocolate bar .

The joke is on you - I steal from Woolworths Coburg

Since moving to Australia in 2018, I've lived in Cheltenham, South Melbourne, Brunswick West, Coburg and Fawkner.

I didn't really care for Cheltenham, and Brunswick West is amazingly dead. I loved South Melbourne, and I really loved Coburg - but both were out of my price range when buying. I had a lot of doubts on Fawkner originally when I moved, but I love it here now - even if I'm the only white fella lol

Queenscliff etc .
Probably a bit quieter than the barwon heads,Torquay towns.

There's plenty to see and do in Vic .
Also worth spreading the wings .

Since moving to Australia in 2018, I've lived in Cheltenham, South Melbourne, Brunswick West, Coburg and Fawkner.

I didn't really care for Cheltenham, and Brunswick West is amazingly dead. I loved South Melbourne, and I really loved Coburg - but both were out of my price range when buying. I had a lot of doubts on Fawkner originally when I moved, but I love it here now - even if I'm the only white fella lol

just bought in Reservoir in December - just the other side of the creek from you

only downside I've found so far is the commute to work having to go through that High St / Spring St / Cheddar Rd / Reservoir Station abomination of an intersection every day

Working in Craigieburn for an extended period of time. Pretty horrible out here near the old shops.

Girl wearing only socks and no shoes walking on the 50 degree asphalt road yesterday was interesting. Don’t think she felt any of it with the substances coursing through her veins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back