Opinion Bendigo

Remove this Banner Ad

MrSlippyFist

Draftee
May 1, 2024
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi All
With the recent discussion in the media surrounding North Melbourne exiting Tasmania and looking at the growing northern suburbs of Melbourne, I for one am a big supporter of North playing 2-3 games in Bendigo.

I can see QE Oval has held a few pre-season games in the past but do we think there is any opportunity for H/A games? Is it feasible to expand? Would love to hear from any Bendigonians who i am sure would be more knowledgeable on the subject. I suspect with the current Vic Govt budget situation it may be out of the question, but one can hope.

North have also held a few pre-season community initiatives there, but i think this combined with a more concentrated effort in the Northern Suburbs is the way to go.

Thoughts?

Hi All
With the recent discussion in the media surrounding North Melbourne exiting Tasmania and looking at the growing northern suburbs of Melbourne, I for one am a big supporter of North playing 2-3 games in Bendigo.

I can see QE Oval has held a few pre-season games in the past but do we think there is any opportunity for H/A games? Is it feasible to expand? Would love to hear from any Bendigonians who i am sure would be more knowledgeable on the subject. I suspect with the current Vic Govt budget situation it may be out of the question, but one can hope.

North have also held a few pre-season community initiatives there, but i think this combined with a more concentrated effort in the Northern Suburbs is the way to go.

Thoughts?
I don't mind the idea.
Much easier for our fans to travel to.
Personally I'd prefer all our home games in Melbourne. But Bendigo is a decent fall back

Sphynx might've floated this in the past?

It's practically a small city, bigger than Ballarat and doesn't lose that much up against Geelong.

Hub for several businesses and drives hard to be an art and tourist destination.

A partnership with Bendigo akin to the best parts of the Hobart relationship could well be worth exploring.

Albury-Wodonga for mine.

Greater population, old recruting zone - we have good support there already, and the ovals at Lavington or Albury are ready to go.
Bendigo (pop 105,000) is fractionally larger than Albury-Wodonga (100,000) but it is closer to Canberra. :)

Spent a bit of time in Bendigo - great city. I did read a while ago when this subject was raised that the QEO would need a fair bit of money to get it to AFL standard. From memory lighting would need significant upgrade and general facilities. But as a concept it's a good footy town.

Albury-Wodonga for mine.

Greater population, old recruting zone - we have good support there already, and the ovals at Lavington or Albury are ready to go.
Don't mind Albury-Wodonga either - the fact it's a bit further out (2 hours vs 4 hours makes big a difference imo) probably still has it behind Bendigo for me, but very good points raised here.

Sure, if we have to play elsewhere that's better than any interstate location we've been playing for the last 20 years

Plus they are country folk so they'll like (or hate) kangaroos and stuff..

Absolutely - for me it's either a major regional centre in VIC or we just stay at Marvel.

I think a robust partnership with a Vic town would be a great way of bulletproofing ourselves. We missed the boat with Ballarat as Euge has elaborated on but should look elsewhere.

Albury/Wodonga is pretty GWS turf now, too far and impractical.

Bendigo in some ways is even better than Ballarat. Bigger, more of a day out etc. Massive partnership opportunities as mentioned.

Will assume Geelong have the entire SW under their domain.

Gippsland is an interesting region, lots of potential but I've no idea of the stadium situation in Sale. Distances bit too prohibitive.

Which takes us back to Bendigo. Best fit.

Bendigo is completely untapped AFL territory. Beautiful city, soon to be the 3rd biggest in the state when it overtakes Ballarat, easy to get to and geographically suits us.

Ballarat, Bendigo and Albury-Wodonga are all of similar populations, so any one of them would be okay to play a couple of games each season, if the venue is good enough.

1715940035603.png

Also, looking at the population of Darwin, there is no way it can sustain an AFL team, especially when there is a faster growing city with four times the population, and in a region that is also growing rapidly as a more viable option.

Interesting that Ballarat is growing at a faster rate but there are some on here who think Bendigo will soon be the bigger city. Do they teach basic mathematics in Victoria. :)

Sphynx might've floated this in the past?

It's practically a small city, bigger than Ballarat and doesn't lose that much up against Geelong.

Hub for several businesses and drives hard to be an art and tourist destination.

A partnership with Bendigo akin to the best parts of the Hobart relationship could well be worth exploring.
I'm in favour of the idea but I'm not sure how it can tap the best parts of the Hobart relationship. The central pillar of Hobart is Spirit of Tasmania sponsorship which is essentially state tourism funded by the federal government's highways program. I don't know which government agency is going to hand over at least $500k per game to play in Bendigo. The economics of it are more challenging because people can drive there and back in a day (great for us Melbournians, not so good for Bendigo hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions). Hobart, on the other hand, can count on people staying the weekend and tipping cash into the local economy. But like I say, if we can convince someone to pay the bill, then I'm certainly up for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ballarat, Bendigo and Albury-Wodonga are all of similar populations, so any one of them would be okay to play a couple of games each season, if the venue is good enough.

View attachment 1991667

Also, looking at the population of Darwin, there is no way it can sustain an AFL team, especially when there is a faster growing city with four times the population, and in a region that is also growing rapidly as a more viable option.

Interesting that Ballarat is growing at a faster rate but there are some on here who think Bendigo will soon be the bigger city. Do they teach basic mathematics in Victoria. :)
The benefit I think of going a bit further out to Albury-Wodonga is that you will probably capture more of the audience their because they’re less likely to travel into Melbourne for their own team’s games and so likely to invest in a team that is willing to come and play in front of them.

It’s also more likely to benefit from Melbourne supporters because whilst less will come for games than if it were closer - those that do are more likely to stay for the weekend or atleast overnight and invest in their economy. Which I think again is more likely to encourage the town to embrace the team/arrangement.

I think a robust partnership with a Vic town would be a great way of bulletproofing ourselves. We missed the boat with Ballarat as Euge has elaborated on but should look elsewhere.

Albury/Wodonga is pretty GWS turf now, too far and impractical.

Bendigo in some ways is even better than Ballarat. Bigger, more of a day out etc. Massive partnership opportunities as mentioned.

Will assume Geelong have the entire SW under their domain.

Gippsland is an interesting region, lots of potential but I've no idea of the stadium situation in Sale. Distances bit too prohibitive.

Which takes us back to Bendigo. Best fit.

Somebody on here suggested an annual clash against GWS in Albury/Wodonga. We could rotate home game rights. Call it the Border War.

But again, it's easy sticking a pin in a map and naming a good spot to play a game. The challenge is to make it work economically or to get someone to pony up a shit ton of cash.

I'm in favour of the idea but I'm not sure how it can tap the best parts of the Hobart relationship. The central pillar of Hobart is Spirit of Tasmania sponsorship which is essentially state tourism funded by the federal government's highways program. I don't know which government agency is going to hand over at least $500k per game to play in Bendigo. The economics of it are more challenging because people can drive there and back in a day (great for us Melbournians, not so good for Bendigo hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions). Hobart, on the other hand, can count on people staying the weekend and tipping cash into the local economy. But like I say, if we can convince someone to pay the bill, then I'm certainly up for it.
Yeh would need a lot of compliemtary businesses to form a compelling enough offering for people to make a weekend of it up there each game rather in/out so to speak.

Ballarat, Bendigo and Albury-Wodonga are all of similar populations, so any one of them would be okay to play a couple of games each season, if the

They do, mate, but the recent growth rate for Bendigo - in the last few years, not 10-12 - is far greater and will see Bendigo go past Ballarat. Lots of new estate up there if you've been there recently.

View attachment 1991667

Bendigo vs Ballarat figures fluctuate on where they set the boundaries.

Anecdotally Bendigo feels the bigger presence to visit.

North hat on - Ballarat is spoken for.

Ex Benders born and bred…..
QEO is a grand oval…but is an absolute bugger for parking and facilities…
Limited parking spaces in the ground behind the performing arts / art gallery which is accessed through narrow gates off View Street. The off street parking is shared by the Aquatic centre along Bernard street next door…not many….Most locals park in side streets off Barnard or Park rd near The Tom Flood and walk…if it’s a huge crowd…
Rain is a bugger though when doing this…

You can catch the train which has many running from benders to Mel ( l miss this ) and the walk is doable….but be warned your walking down hill from the station to the fountain then up the hill along view street to the QEO at the top…not fun to do in the wet…. Or Heat of preseason games….

Beautiful old grandstand …..thats it…lights and ground are in…(were and lm assuming still top Nick) condition.
Had a bit of cash spent on it when they had the ole Diggers VFL side….and has continued to be up kept as its home to Bendigo pioneers ( Harley Reid says hi) south’s (Bendigo) and caters for the grand final of the BFL .

You would probably want more undercover areas around the ground..has some narrow walk way covers going around…otherwise it’s standing around ground…that said they really pack em in and the atmosphere can be great….it’s a real up close feel …Food is supplied by food trucks / caravans.

In the 8 years since lve moved, traffic, building and expanding particularly towards epsom Huntly post COVID has exploded…..l don’t recognise it from being a teen….from paddocks to a sea of houses…

The train link to Melbourne is the main reason it’s going gangbusters……and not looking like slowing down…

As for community links …you seriously could tap into just in Bendigo

Primary schools footy comp boys and girls plus clinics
High school clinic / pathways…my old high CCB took out OLE herald sun shield….and has produced some AFL footballers….Selwood bros, Nathan Brown, Nick Carter ….just a few…
…..but if they linked up with all high schools in Bendigo ( states included.) an exciting path…so many prospects in male and female players…
TAFE / and connect with our Huddle
Working with all clubs in the BFL…..so take clinics ect on a rotation based to these clubs Heathcote, lockington, eagle hawk, strafeildsaye ect…..beautiful grounds and gives those communities an afl experience…

But the communities just outside Bendigo ….we could be that presence as well (Marong, Elmore, Castlemaine ect…just draw a 50km radius around Bendigo…so many small country towns with kids who would love the opportunity to see an AFL / AFLW game …

Cultural ….indigenous ( Dja dja wurung) , Chinese Association , Buddhist temple( The Great Stupa…biggest in Western world) imagine the cultural diversity we could promote….with the huddle….huge potential.

So yeah as a footballing nursery Bendigo and surrounds has a rich history of Afl / VFL footballers….who through pioneers or local clubs in BFL have played…
( Selwood bros, Nathan brown, nicky dal, Michael Braun, Nathan Thompson, Dean Solomon, Chris tarrant, Corey Jones, Daniel Harris, Brent Guerra, Robbie Tarrant, Jarryd Geary, Dustin Martian, Jake Stringer, Ollie Wines* , Jack Ginnivan, Flynn Perez, Rick Ladson, Josh Hunt, Andrew Walker, ….to name a few….

.and if l go back Greg Williams , John Nichols, Ron best, Brendan edwards, Peter Dean, geoff southby, Fred swift, Michael sexton, Leigh Colbert, RON BARASSI, Wayne Campbell, Peter Rhode….

Interesting reading…but all at some stage and there would be many more…that lve missed going back to Ron’s days or earlier including My dads uncle Fred Burge who played with jack dyer …….all passed through the footballing competition or youngsters nursery of Football in and around Bendigo……

But geez if the past is anything to go by…….imagine the possibilities in the future..
It’s in a huge growth corridor and has direct train links to Melbourne..

The ground could do with some cosmetic upgrades but it’s got boutique written all over it …
Yes Albury Wodonga ground and facilities are amazing…..

But the more l thought about my ole hometown stomping ground….the more excited l got….it has many things that lve listed above that Albury doesn’t have….but the ovens and Murray league is amazing in its own right….

We won’t convert everyone…but if we were allocated this area and could gain access to pioneers players…maybe Murray Bushrangers too….piss off sydney( that opens up Clayton Oliver, jye Simpkin landscape….)
( interesting Harley comes from tongala, passed the Murray Bushrangers program to play for pioneers…but l digress)
And look at some of the points that lve listed above….
I say investigate it and seriously see if we can grab it….if we are given it as a possible zone….

Last edited:

Love this post. You've captured the essence of the place and the growth is spectacular.

I was born in Melbourne but moved to Castlemaine (30 min down the highway, if that) in my early teens and then back to Melb to go to uni when I was 18. My parents stayed in Castlemaine and eventually moved to Bendigo and have been there for the past 30 years, so I've been there regularly. It's, like I said before, completely untapped as an AFL venue, even in the sense that the Dogs have done with Ballarat. We have to take this opportunity before * or the Blues do.

I agree Albury/Wodonga is another step to take, but let other clubs do that. Bendigo is directly north of Melbourne (almost), and the train to Bendigo goes through North Melbourne. It doesn't go through Essendon. It's a logical link.

So much history, so much charm, and perfect dry weather - most of the time - for footy. Thanks for posting the above. It helps to paint a very nice picture. I hope the club reads these threads.

EDIT: A bit too early at this stage, but if the Arden St upgrade falls through, a complete move to Bendigo - if the AFL wants this - wouldn't be the worst thing either. At the rate Bendigo is going, the city may catch or approach Geelong in size in 40 or 50 years' time. It would be an easy relocation for us and I think we'd establish a strong identity there. However, I think a relocation might be too extreme for most here. Interested in the thoughts of others on this.

By "some ways" do you mean in every way imaginable?

Yes please, to North games up here

The train is $9. You lot can make the trip, easy.
my feral, bomber supporting cousins are from bendigo, so i would expect their imagination is quite limited, but ill be driving up from ballarat every time if we get this going

Love this post. You've captured the essence of the place and the growth is spectacular.

I was born in Melbourne but moved to Castlemaine (30 min down the highway, if that) in my early teens and then back to Melb to go to uni when I was 18. My parents stayed in Castlemaine and eventually moved to Bendigo and have been there for the past 30 years, so I've been there regularly. It's, like I said before, completely untapped as an AFL venue, even in the sense that the Dogs have done with Ballarat. We have to take this opportunity before * or the Blues do.

I agree Albury/Wodonga is another step to take, but let other clubs do that. Bendigo is directly north of Melbourne (almost), and the train to Bendigo goes through North Melbourne. It doesn't go through Essendon. It's a logical link.

So much history, so much charm, and perfect dry weather - most of the time - for footy. Thanks for posting the above. It helps to paint a very nice picture. I hope the club reads these threads.

EDIT: A bit too early at this stage, but if the Arden St upgrade falls through, a complete move to Bendigo - if the AFL wants this - wouldn't be the worst thing either. At the rate Bendigo is going, the city may catch or approach Geelong in size in 40 or 50 years' time. It would be an easy relocation for us and I think we'd establish a strong identity there. However, I think a relocation might be too extreme for most here. Interested in the thoughts of others on this.
Thank you ….l just tried to be to the point…..it’s particularly nice during these sunny autumn days and early spring…
funny as a kid loved it …early teens hated…late teens with licence loved and as an adult l appreciate its history and location..

I think we should look into it….to crazy to just say nah….before another club jumps on it.
I like your forward thinking….who knows what may happen in 50 years from now…..but who knows….all options should never be disregarded…

As a place to visit and live l loved / love it…yes you could do it all in one day up and back…as some argue..
But you could make it a weekend…take time to visit the cultural spots…or make it your home base…go visit the magnificent grand old hotel for lunch in Rochester…or the wine yards in heathcote, echuca for a days explore,
Maldons historic streets or your old town Castlemaine….and the many little places( go say hi to the barassi statue) in between Daylesford and there …my point there is many places to discover see and do….

The more l think about it the more l like it…
Albury / Wodonga is a magnificent all purpose built area…and brilliant competition….but l can’t but help think your straying into swans / giants academy zones…..

I know the Maine very well….my dad was born and raised in that town…and l had many car trips as a kid back and forth from benders to their…point is both towns and the highways connecting them together and to Melbourne have changed so so much…so many places along them gone…for faster connections…but both towns are growing.
What a small world it is nice to know another former local …

Last edited:
QEO is a grand oval…but is an absolute bugger for parking and facilities…
Limited parking spaces in the ground behind the performing arts / art gallery which is accessed through narrow gates off View Street. The off street parking is shared by the Aquatic centre along Bernard street next door…not many….Most locals park in side streets off Barnard or Park rd near The Tom Flood and walk…if it’s a huge crowd…
Rain is a bugger though when doing this…

You can catch the train which has many running from benders to Mel ( l miss this ) and the walk is doable….but be warned your walking down hill from the station to the fountain then up the hill along view street to the QEO at the top…not fun to do in the wet…. Or Heat of preseason games….

Beautiful old grandstand …..thats it…lights and ground are in…(were and lm assuming still top Nick) condition.
Had a bit of cash spent on it when they had the ole Diggers VFL side….and has continued to be up kept as its home to Bendigo pioneers ( Harley Reid says hi) south’s (Bendigo) and caters for the grand final of the BFL .

You would probably want more undercover areas around the ground..has some narrow walk way covers going around…otherwise it’s standing around ground…that said they really pack em in and the atmosphere can be great….it’s a real up close feel …Food is supplied by food trucks / caravans.

In the 8 years since lve moved, traffic, building and expanding particularly towards epsom Huntly post COVID has exploded…..l don’t recognise it from being a teen….from paddocks to a sea of houses…

The train link to Melbourne is the main reason it’s going gangbusters……and not looking like slowing down…

As for community links …you seriously could tap into just in Bendigo

Primary schools footy comp boys and girls plus clinics
High school clinic / pathways…my old high CCB took out OLE herald sun shield….and has produced some AFL footballers….Selwood bros, Nathan Brown, Nick Carter ….just a few…
…..but if they linked up with all high schools in Bendigo ( states included.) an exciting path…so many prospects in male and female players…
TAFE / and connect with our Huddle
Working with all clubs in the BFL…..so take clinics ect on a rotation based to these clubs Heathcote, lockington, eagle hawk, strafeildsaye ect…..beautiful grounds and gives those communities an afl experience…

But the communities just outside Bendigo ….we could be that presence as well (Marong, Elmore, Castlemaine ect…just draw a 50km radius around Bendigo…so many small country towns with kids who would love the opportunity to see an AFL / AFLW game …

Cultural ….indigenous ( Dja dja wurung) , Chinese Association , Buddhist temple( The Great Stupa…biggest in Western world) imagine the cultural diversity we could promote….with the huddle….huge potential.

So yeah as a footballing nursery Bendigo and surrounds has a rich history of Afl / VFL footballers….who through pioneers or local clubs in BFL have played…
( Selwood bros, Nathan brown, nicky dal, Michael Braun, Nathan Thompson, Dean Solomon, Chris tarrant, Corey Jones, Daniel Harris, Brent Guerra, Robbie Tarrant, Jarryd Geary, Dustin Martian, Jake Stringer, Ollie Wines* , Jack Ginnivan, Flynn Perez, Rick Ladson, Josh Hunt, Andrew Walker, ….to name a few….

.and if l go back Greg Williams , John Nichols, Ron best, Brendan edwards, Peter Dean, geoff southby, Fred swift, Michael sexton, Leigh Colbert, RON BARASSI, Wayne Campbell, Peter Rhode….

Interesting reading…but all at some stage and there would be many more…that lve missed going back to Ron’s days or earlier including My dads uncle Fred Burge who played with jack dyer …….all passed through the footballing competition or youngsters nursery of Football in and around Bendigo……

But geez if the past is anything to go by…….imagine the possibilities in the future..
It’s in a huge growth corridor and has direct train links to Melbourne..

The ground could do with some cosmetic upgrades but it’s got boutique written all over it …
Yes Albury Wodonga ground and facilities are amazing…..

But the more l thought about my ole hometown stomping ground….the more excited l got….it has many things that lve listed above that Albury doesn’t have….but the ovens and Murray league is amazing in its own right….

We won’t convert everyone…but if we were allocated this area and could gain access to pioneers players…maybe Murray Bushrangers too….piss off sydney( that opens up Clayton Oliver, jye Simpkin landscape….)
( interesting Harley comes from tongala, passed the Murray Bushrangers program to play for pioneers…but l digress)
And look at some of the points that lve listed above….
I say investigate it and seriously see if we can grab it….if we are given it as a possible zone….
It's unfortunately a completely impractical ground for AFL level crowds (even small ones). Too far from any station and no real transport to and from - that would need massive change to be achievable IMO. Nice ground though... I remember seeing Fabulous Phil there back in the day when I was too young to know what the big deal was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back