Bendigo FNL 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree that I think the players have shown the committee what they think of the appointment of their new senior coach.
IF Kyneton have lost around the 10 senior player mark being suggested there is no way they can be competitive in the BFL. I think the club needs to urgently talk to Nathan Thompson about taking over and trying to stem the bleeding. Unless they can retain the locals and their kids all is lost. Put the hand up and state we made a mistake and see if the players leaving will reconsider. Not everyone wants to lose every week and other players will feel they have to leave to see what else is out there but I strongly suggest if the committee has a meetinga nd decides it cannot compete it would be better for all to fold and try again in a lesser league next year.

Cold sores are more popular than Nathan Thompson.

I think Kyneton will be ok. They have already signed a couple of loyal and trustworthy young men in the Lawson brothers to guide them out of the doldrums. But, then again, it's still a long way to go before the start of the season and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that even men of the finest character such as Corey and Dion won't break another contract and jump ship to somewhere else to make it 5 clubs in 2 years.

Have to agree that I think the players have shown the committee what they think of the appointment of their new senior coach.
IF Kyneton have lost around the 10 senior player mark being suggested there is no way they can be competitive in the BFL. I think the club needs to urgently talk to Nathan Thompson about taking over and trying to stem the bleeding. Unless they can retain the locals and their kids all is lost. Put the hand up and state we made a mistake and see if the players leaving will reconsider. Not everyone wants to lose every week and other players will feel they have to leave to see what else is out there but I strongly suggest if the committee has a meetinga nd decides it cannot compete it would be better for all to fold and try again in a lesser league next year.
RDFL?

RDFL is probably right for them based on location of most teams.
Dont know. CHFL?

Embarassing story in the Addy in regards to Brian Walsh stating no one can leave before clearances happen on Feb 1st. If they dont train and have committed to another club fair to assume they wont stay and not much will change their minds. I'll be surprised if they get 3 to stay out of the stated 20 that may leave. I think 13 are definite and have signed at other clubs so the blokes that may stay wont be the quality. Guaranteed.

What about a merger with Castlemaine?

Dont agree with mergers as these towns should be big enough to support a decent footy team. You dont have to have a team to compete for the flag but need to win enough games to keep everyone interested. Both clubs need to target 6 wins in this coming season and looking at who Kyneton have lost, probably cannot be done without landing some big name players.

Kyneton is a town of 6500 people. Surely this is big enough and close enough to Melbourne to pull some players.
Castlemaine havent been competitive for a few years but putting them in the same heap as Kyneton is probably unfair at this stage.

With Castlemaine the good juniors from other leagues would step up and try themselves out at the Camp reserve and see if they could step up to the BFL level. There are plenty of buig fish in small ponds not willing to do this anymore. They also recruited pretty well as they were always a finals chance. In a town of 8000 people its a matter of time I think with junior development and landing a few quality recruits. It surprises me that Schulz has gone as an assistant to Strath but obviously he doesnt see Castlemaine being competitive enough.

Dont agree with mergers as these towns should be big enough to support a decent footy team. You dont have to have a team to compete for the flag but need to win enough games to keep everyone interested. Both clubs need to target 6 wins in this coming season and looking at who Kyneton have lost, probably cannot be done without landing some big name players.

Kyneton is a town of 6500 people. Surely this is big enough and close enough to Melbourne to pull some players.
Castlemaine havent been competitive for a few years but putting them in the same heap as Kyneton is probably unfair at this stage.

With Castlemaine the good juniors from other leagues would step up and try themselves out at the Camp reserve and see if they could step up to the BFL level. There are plenty of buig fish in small ponds not willing to do this anymore. They also recruited pretty well as they were always a finals chance. In a town of 8000 people its a matter of time I think with junior development and landing a few quality recruits. It surprises me that Schulz has gone as an assistant to Strath but obviously he doesnt see Castlemaine being competitive enough.

I honestly think that a major problem is that there are too many clubs around and not as many blokes playing footy

RDFL is probably right for them based on location of most teams.
Dont know. CHFL?

Embarassing story in the Addy in regards to Brian Walsh stating no one can leave before clearances happen on Feb 1st. If they dont train and have committed to another club fair to assume they wont stay and not much will change their minds. I'll be surprised if they get 3 to stay out of the stated 20 that may leave. I think 13 are definite and have signed at other clubs so the blokes that may stay wont be the quality. Guaranteed.

Probably not a good idea to display your dirty washing in public, cant imagine the article would assist in attracting new recruits to the club. Does any one on here think that Brian Walsh will last the season? Personally I think he will be gone fairly early, perhaps after only 3 or 4 games.

Probably not a good idea to display your dirty washing in public, cant imagine the article would assist in attracting new recruits to the club. Does any one on here think that Brian Walsh will last the season? Personally I think he will be gone fairly early, perhaps after only 3 or 4 games.

I think the best thing that they could do,is give him the flick ASAP. To follow Derrick Filo with this bloke is ridiculous. Yes he obviously was a super footballer and then coach in his day but his day is,long long gone

I think the best thing that they could do,is give him the flick ASAP. To follow Derrick Filo with this bloke is ridiculous. Yes he obviously was a super footballer and then coach in his day but his day is,long long gone
Big call roots, if Brian has got the passion back as he claims, perhaps some of these players may learn a thing or too, and if the players leaving are that good why didn't they win more games?

Big call roots, if Brian has got the passion back as he claims, perhaps some of these players may learn a thing or too, and if the players leaving are that good why didn't they win more games?

U make some good points . I base my comment purely on what blokes who he last coached have said so I spose I really don't know a lot about it

Brian may have the "passion" but actions in his past still mean he has to prove himself again. Its been along time between drinks in regards to coaching so teaching them something may be harder than you think. Do you rate Filo a better or worse coach than Walsh as I reckon they would have learned alot in the last couple of years?
Brian has had success with having a lot of money and some great players playing under him. Some of those grand finals late 80's early 90's have a look at the list he had. Not all coaches buy them sometimes they need to be developed.
There are only 3 players leaving and going to Darley who would be in another senior BFL team. Says enough in itself but if they lose up to 20 players they will be putrid. 30 goals a game floggings will be a close game.

two clubs with an unrealized advantage - close to Melbourne yet in the bush - time to reload and get good people at both clubs - should both be perennial finalists - fair dinkum!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I here the locals couldn't get off the couch to support the Sun Tour bike ride. Might be the problem with the local footy league. Too many couch potatoes? Maybe a new years resolution around participation could help a few clubs that are struggling. Mmmmm Mac time :)

I have watched South Bendigo and Sandhurst train in the past week. I have to say I am very impressed with the way they look. Although I only happened to see South by accident and only watched for a moment they looked very fit. As for Sandhurst boy do they have some height. I cannot see anyone going with some of the mobile talls they had running around out there and from what I read in the Advertiser they have a few more to come like Haythorpe.

Hi sorry to intrude on your page but I've got a few questions in regards to the Bendigo league and the GVFL, this year have seen a couple of boys leave to play GVFL and I was wondering what the payments good players in the Bendigo league receieve compared to the GVFL, a guy like Anderson leaving south bendigo for the GV, what would he have been getting? Would the GV have offered him more money etc? Any feedback would be great

Hi sorry to intrude on your page but I've got a few questions in regards to the Bendigo league and the GVFL, this year have seen a couple of boys leave to play GVFL and I was wondering what the payments good players in the Bendigo league receieve compared to the GVFL, a guy like Anderson leaving south bendigo for the GV, what would he have been getting? Would the GV have offered him more money etc? Any feedback would be great

I'd guess that Anderson was on $650 to $700 at South and that he would be getting the same at Rochester don't think it would have been a cash lure for him. Overall Id say that Bendigo League is a step off the payments they receive over your way with the odd exception.

I have watched South Bendigo and Sandhurst train in the past week. I have to say I am very impressed with the way they look. Although I only happened to see South by accident and only watched for a moment they looked very fit. As for Sandhurst boy do they have some height. I cannot see anyone going with some of the mobile talls they had running around out there and from what I read in the Advertiser they have a few more to come like Haythorpe.

We have got some good height and will be interested to see what Benny Anderson and Timmy Martin can add to us..... not sure how Haythorpe will go he hasn't exactly set the world on fire the past couple of Seasons at Mitiamo so I dont think expectations should be over the top for him but if he can consistently get us 2 to 4 goals it will serve it's purpose for us. We're a bit hampered in the midfield but there are some boys that could develop in that area.

We have got some good height and will be interested to see what Benny Anderson and Timmy Martin can add to us..... not sure how Haythorpe will go he hasn't exactly set the world on fire the past couple of Seasons at Mitiamo so I dont think expectations should be over the top for him but if he can consistently get us 2 to 4 goals it will serve it's purpose for us. We're a bit hampered in the midfield but there are some boys that could develop in that area.

Dragon Fly, with Rick Symes, Jake Ward & Matt Thorton all likely to play in the forward line, I think there is every chance Ryan Haythorpe could be used in defence - a bit of height and strength back there would be good, especially with the loss of Jake Wilkinson. Pat Jennings was sensational at full back on Weeks last year and I think should replace Mal Borchard in that position. Rick Symes is a bit injury prone - perhaps Haythorpe could play at full forward if Symes was unavailable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back