Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

No chance Kyneton will return after the way they were treated. And you wouldn’t get any other Riddell clubs leave what’s said to be an extremely well managed competition to move to a region that’s run and managed the way it has been.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree entirely.

I’m saying if they made the changes, got a well run divisional comp up and had things jumping then other clubs might start getting interested.

I know I’m dreaming with the current capabilities of leadership though!

No chance Kyneton will return after the way they were treated. And you wouldn’t get any other Riddell clubs leave what’s said to be an extremely well managed competition to move to a region that’s run and managed the way it has been.
Kyneton will be keen to make new history with their fellow macedon ranges clubs. Can't see them going back. I definitely can't see any Riddell league teams moving to Bendigo either. After years and years of copping flack I think the RDFL are looking to prove alot of people wrong.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kyneton will be keen to make new history with their fellow macedon ranges clubs. Can't see them going back. I definitely can't see any Riddell league teams moving to Bendigo either. After years and years of copping flack I think the RDFL are looking to prove alot of people wrong.

If Kyneton did move, I could only see them and Gisborne in the Ballarat league for the time being unless there were massive changes made at AFLCV and the BFNL and there was evidence that football had been put back on the right track.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
IMO if there were ever going to be a large-scale restructure involving Ballarat, Bendigo, Riddell etc it would have been about 5 years ago.
There was some uncertainty around the viability of the Riddell comp following a few departures & there was still some murmurings of a Ballarat bias from the Eastern Bloc clubs.
Things have seemingly improved on both fronts so I struggle to see why either comp would seek to amalgamate, especially Ballarat which I believe would essentially be trading off the Eastern clubs for the Bendigo ones in the scenario put forward.
Any solution needs to be mutually beneficial.

Last edited:
All great discussion here but with the pending new council and current leaders in place the changes required will never happen.

Unfortunately unless flat / south / Castlemaine / Maryborough have very strong committees they won’t force the changes required.

It will be bendigo powers patting them on the head and telling them to stand in the corner. That’s the way they want it and that’s the way it will stay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s very obvious when reading articles that the Addy staff are big readers here.

(Magpie midfield pumped up this preseason? By who? Me? 🤣)

So when you read this guys, how about putting some articles out there calling for discussion on these things? Forget about dish licking the hub and tell things how they are. It’s not like they are in your corner, they are actively trying to cut your lunch with Doley’s rubbish. You have the chance to be the people who start the push to save the game in this region, take it!

If we had a better competition they may stay anyway. Kyneton could return. We could start bringing other teams in, Harcourt, Carisbrook, Daylesford maybe some of the Riddell clubs. Like a good club has no trouble recruiting neither would a good league.
Sorry old mate your delusional, doesnt seem as if any "journalist" these days are capable of thinking for themselves, they seem to only to able to find articles elsewhere on social media or the web which they may change slightly and then put their name to it. Journalism has gone down the same road as those the practice the law, they make used car salesman look very honest.

Then have north central heathcote lv and southern central murray into 2 div
Div 1
Sea lake
Wyche-nully
Birchip
Donald
Heathcote
Locky
Cohuna
Koondrook
Kerang
North bendigo
Colbo
Mounts

Div 2
Northern united (miti, serp, calivil)
Bridgewater
Elmore
Leitchy
Boort
Charlton
St Arnaud
Team flooding (newbridge Wedderburn inglewood)
Pyramid Hill
Huntly

Yep a bit more travel but I think it'd add a bit of life to clubs

Then have north central heathcote lv and southern central murray into 2 div
Div 1
Sea lake
Wyche-nully
Birchip
Donald
Heathcote
Locky
Cohuna
Koondrook
Kerang
North bendigo
Colbo
Mounts

Div 2
Northern united (miti, serp, calivil)
Bridgewater
Elmore
Leitchy
Boort
Charlton
St Arnaud
Team flooding (newbridge Wedderburn inglewood)
Pyramid Hill
Huntly

Yep a bit more travel but I think it'd add a bit of life to clubs
the beauty of country footy is the connections you make, your not making connections traveling 2+hours for footy.
They’d be better off running a state champions type game in lieu of interleague. Winner of NCFL plays winner of LVFL.
Winner of HDFL plays CMFL. Etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the beauty of country footy is the connections you make, your not making connections traveling 2+hours for footy.
They’d be better off running a state champions type game in lieu of interleague. Winner of NCFL plays winner of LVFL.
Winner of HDFL plays CMFL. Etc
I always enjoyed the bus trip to hay truck and that was over 3 hours, if you do it a couple of times a year it's okay

IMO if there were ever going to be a large-scale restructure involving Ballarat, Bendigo, Riddell etc it would have been about 5 years ago.
There was some uncertainty around the viability of the Riddell comp following a few departures & there was still some murmurings of a Ballarat bias from the Eastern Bloc clubs.
Things have seemingly improved on both fronts so I struggle to see why either comp would seek to amalgamate, especially Ballarat which I believe would essentially be trading off the Eastern clubs for the Bendigo ones in the scenario put forward.
Any solution needs to be mutually beneficial.
Agree. This all seems like a Bendigo FL issue to me. Apart from LVFNL all other leagues mostly appear pretty happy with how things are managed in their own backyards so why upset how they are going in an attempt to fix a disfunctional Bendigo league? Understanding there will be the odd club struggling but isn’t that then their decision on what to do - merge, change leagues or fold? As said in an earlier post, footy ain’t perfect. Clubs lose, clubs win. You get blow outs. That’s life.

I agree, Trent the flight Steward.

Realistically, the LVFNL won't be around in five years so those clubs should all be future planning now, whether it be as part of a merger or else moving leagues. Clubs should be making sure that going forwards, their heritage continues on instead of them just becoming memories (we can name a few of those).

If your suggestion of a re-booted Northern United comes to fruition then that will definitely trigger change on the 'competition landscape' front.

I see the addy is keeping up their average of one article a week for sandhurst ! How about reporting on some other clubs - seriously normally favouritism is at least tried to be hidden

I see the addy is keeping up their average of one article a week for sandhurst ! How about reporting on some other clubs - seriously normally favouritism is at least tried to be hidden

Don’t worry about that maggy just focus on the biggest game in years ahead of us tomorrow!

Really bad signs considering it isn’t wet and cold yet.

Assuming the northern crew aren’t playing this week as it isn’t that winnable.

The two sides merging in Maryborough was going to save them all. I don’t think this has been a success - Question is what is being done about it. I think we all know the answer - let them walk the plank nothing to see here. Another example of Bendigo no longer being a major competition

I see the GM role has been advertised. Might be a job share opportunity there for CM and Forest to straighten things up. Could split the $60k salary 50/50, set a desk up at the Camp in the timekeepers box on the wing. Long lunches twice a week at the Railway. Board meetings at the Golden Square hotel. Go rogue and establish a new BFNL based points system and shake up regional footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back