Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was disappointing, two last quarter fade outs in as many weeks.

The hangovers don’t improve with close losses I can tell you.

Good signs again but pretty clear it’s going to be a transition year, not making the five or even in the mix. At this point you’d have to say we won’t improve on last year’s ladder spot but with hugely improved percentage.

Don’t want to be churlish in defeat and mention the umpiring so after yesterday I’m definitely not going to mention the umpiring. Like absolutely not going to mention it.
I would not give up on making the five yet. I certainly don't see Square, Flat or South being a class above you. You can correct me if I am wrong Forest but I have a vague memory that the last Castlemaine side to beat Square (around 2005? and they absolutely thrashed them), were themselves belted by Square earlier in the year. Perhaps you were in or close to that team. I think Stephen Oliver kicked goal no 1000 for the Maine in that game. Your 2005 team showed what can be done.

I would not give up on making the five yet. I certainly don't see Square, Flat or South being a class above you. You can correct me if I am wrong Forest but I have a vague memory that the last Castlemaine side to beat Square (around 2005? and they absolutely thrashed them), were themselves belted by Square earlier in the year. Perhaps you were in or close to that team. I think Stephen Oliver kicked goal no 1000 for the Maine in that game. Your 2005 team showed what can be done.
Maine were a chance to win the flag that year, not sure anyone flogged them. Went out in straight sets, and I think the players gave the clubrooms a nice workout that Sunday night after losing to south.

Maine were a chance to win the flag that year, not sure anyone flogged them. Went out in straight sets, and I think the players gave the clubrooms a nice workout that Sunday night after losing to south.
I have tried to look up the records Trent but cannot find them. However my memory is of a massive turn around. In 2005 Square thrashed (flogged) Maine early in the season then when they met later in the season it was the complete opposite. It only takes one good win to reshape a season. Even a week can be a long time in football. Ask South Bendigo supporters.

I have tried to look up the records Trent but cannot find them. However my memory is of a massive turn around. In 2005 Square thrashed (flogged) Maine early in the season then when they met later in the season it was the complete opposite. It only takes one good win to reshape a season. Even a week can be a long time in football. Ask South Bendigo supporters.

Testing my memory there, we had a great year in 2005 until the finals and barely lost a game. Can’t remember being belted but the Square thumpings have been so frequent they tend to blend together!

Putting this here to appeal to all clubs who have excess players - try and help otherwise these guys could be in serious strife

25e1b9aad8ac168c582c6683f7a64b71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Putting this here to appeal to all clubs who have excess players - try and help otherwise these guys could be in serious strife

Can only imagine how dire things are to have to go done that pathway.

Unfortunately it would have been a hard road six months ago, can’t imagine there being many spare players to shake loose now.

Fingers crossed they find a way through this.

Last edited:
Can only imagine how dire things are to have to go done that pathway.

Unfortunately it would have been a hard road six months ago, can’t imagine there being many spare players to shake loose now.

Fingers crossed they find a way through this.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Despite the hard work over the Summer things remain a bit challenging.

Hopefully we can secure some additional players although as I have mentioned previously many individuals we spoke to during the off season wanted way more money than the club can afford. We were relatively confident all was going to be ok but a spate of injuries and changes in personal circumstances have affected the club. The club remains in a good position financially and has good community and corporate support. Unfortunately football in the Maryborough area is doing it tough at this time.

All involved are doing an amazing job keeping things positive. The doors have not closed and we are experiencing what many other clubs across Victoria are also going through. The football environment is very much the 'have and have nots' as is seen in many competitions.

It was a big (and correct) call from the committee to do this as the belief was it was best to be open and transparent with the situation the club is facing (many clubs would prefer to keep things 'in house'). I am confident the club will get through this although the light at the end of the tunnel is a bit further away than we anticipated. The big thing that has stood out over recent times is the commitment and passion our people have. I have been around football for a long time in many places and I have rarely seen efforts like I am seeing currently at Maryborough FNC. The quality of people the club has involved is second to none.

More updates to come as things happen.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Despite the hard work over the Summer things remain a bit challenging.

Hopefully we can secure some additional players although as I have mentioned previously many individuals we spoke to during the off season wanted way more money than the club can afford. We were relatively confident all was going to be ok but a spate of injuries and changes in personal circumstances have affected the club. The club remains in a good position financially and has good community and corporate support. Unfortunately football in the Maryborough area is doing it tough at this time.

All involved are doing an amazing job keeping things positive. The doors have not closed and we are experiencing what many other clubs across Victoria are also going through. The football environment is very much the 'have and have nots' as is seen in many competitions.

It was a big (and correct) call from the committee to do this as the belief was it was best to be open and transparent with the situation the club is facing (many clubs would prefer to keep things 'in house'). I am confident the club will get through this although the light at the end of the tunnel is a bit further away than we anticipated. The big thing that has stood out over recent times is the commitment and passion our people have. I have been around football for a long time in many places and I have rarely seen efforts like I am seeing currently at Maryborough FNC. The quality of people the club has involved is second to none.

More updates to come as things happen.
How would they fare against Carisbrook?

I'd love to see maryborough back, gee they had some guns worth watching over the years, like bond, tranter, moniz, Aston, sumner, peart etc.

they looked pretty good in the first half against castlemaine round 1.

What can the club do to get the best kids coming in from the mcdfl?

How would they fare against Carisbrook?

I'd love to see maryborough back, gee they had some guns worth watching over the years, like bond, tranter, moniz, Aston, sumner, peart etc.

they looked pretty good in the first half against castlemaine round 1.

What can the club do to get the best kids coming in from the mcdfl?
I feel like the best thing to do to try to protect their future is move leagues. Central Highlands could be the best option. It would be their best (and possibly only) chance of trying to get some more talent as well as experienced players through the door. Opens Ballarat up as a feasible area to recruit from. Sell some hope to potential recruits of competitiveness. Currently not many want to play there knowing it’s a hiding every week, with no light any the end of the tunnel. Might also be their best chance to get some young locals back who are taking the easier route (and probably making $300 a game rather than $50) in the MCDFNL.

I feel like the best thing to do to try to protect their future is move leagues.

I think the moving leagues idea is better in theory than reality.

The problem for clubs like Maryborough and Castlemaine is they have no connection to a place like the Central Highlands. There’s zero interest from any locals in that competition or the clubs in it.

Their kids and community are connected to Bendigo and Maryborough Castlemaine footy. I know Maryborough came from Ballarat but there’s a reason they left and that was a long time ago. Riddell worked for Kyneton because it had connections for them.

The only viable league change for Maryborough and Castlemaine in my opinion is the Maryborough Castlemaine comp and that will never happen, largely because the clubs there will never agree to take them.

Realistically I think it’s merger or cease to exist because neither are viable in Bendigo long term. It has to be Castlemaine and Campbells Creek and a third club joining the Giants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is simply too many clubs in the Maryborough and Castlemaine regions full stop. Unless clubs get proactive and start making big decisions for themselves then the o going struggles will ultimately lead to the end.

Make the big calls clubs or have them made for you

Who’s going to make the hard calls ? Certainly not AFLCV they are toothless tigers. I just read an article and I quote cam tomlins “Maryborough have been competitive this year and will remain a major league club” he says that the bendigo League have assisted them ? HOW ? And I’m not sure why Cam is quoting Bendigo as a major league - because it isn’t anymore .

There is simply too many clubs in the Maryborough and Castlemaine regions full stop. Unless clubs get proactive and start making big decisions for themselves then the o going struggles will ultimately lead to the end.

Sadly, from afar it does seem to be the case.

The clubs themselves need to solidify their own ongoing viability.
I feel too many expect other to solve these sorts of problems for them which is a recipe for disaster.

People can only take copping a pounding for so long before they walk away, surely a future in another comp is preferable to not existing at all?

Clubs have to make decisions for themselves or else they lose the ability to control their own destiny
Exactly look at nully and Wycheproof, the southern mallee thunder and Ouyen united got on the front foot and success followed.

Multiple mergers are need around castlemaine and Maryborough

Exactly look at nully and Wycheproof, the southern mallee thunder and Ouyen united got on the front foot and success followed.

I’d be merging 4 or 5 clubs in the Maryborough area and having them play in Bendigo league

Who’s going to make the hard calls ? Certainly not AFLCV they are toothless tigers. I just read an article and I quote cam tomlins “Maryborough have been competitive this year and will remain a major league club” he says that the bendigo League have assisted them ? HOW ? And I’m not sure why Cam is quoting Bendigo as a major league - because it isn’t anymore .

At a guess, I'd suggest he is saying that clubs need to make the choice to merge or else they run the risk of disappearing.

It is not AFLCV's role to force clubs to merge - on these issues they should provide guidance or advice. The clubs need to show leadership and be on the front foot. Two clubs in the Maryborough district did this last year but the issue is that there are still too many clubs in that area.

You are correct Roota. Too many clubs with too many agendas and self interest which has got in the way of any change occurring.

A good example of the resistance to change was the work completed by AFL Goldfields in 2017 which recommended change to the football landscape around Maryborough and included Clunes joining the MCDFNL and Carisbrook into the Central Highlands FNL. The response to the recommendations was a defiant ‘no’ despite significant engagement with clubs and stakeholders. If some of the changes occurred football may be in an improved state in the region.

Have a look at clubs like Campbells Creek, Dunolly, Avoca and Talbot who are all perennial strugglers and any good players these clubs may have (often home grown) are ‘snapped up’ by other district clubs often on payments well above their realistic market value. The unwillingness of clubs to work together and make change continues. Even when the Maryborough Giants were suggested, some of the feedback from surrounding clubs was less than helpful/ complementary despite both Rovers and Royal Park being aware of their predicament and going on the front foot to get the best outcome possible.

A good example of the state of football around Maryborough and Castlemaine is the top 4 for the MDCFNL has probably already been decided this early in the season with the same clubs up top. That is not healthy for anyone with the lack of competition but these clubs can’t see past their noses to realise football in the area is not in good health.

It should be noted that demographics of the area with an ageing population, a loss of young people due to work and study and the cost of living issue are also impacting greatly on the ability of clubs to obtain players and be sustainable for the long term.

Finally the amount of money being offered to players by some of these district clubs is often astonishing. Individuals are receiving well above market value in many cases and whilst you can understand players going there due to the money and benefits on offer, this is impacting greatly on football in the area. It is not sustainable.

It would be great if all clubs in the region could work together but I cannot see this occurring due to the continued self interest, lack of foresight and acceptance that things need to change to ensure football remains sustainable and a sport for all in the region.

Last edited:

You are correct Trent. As someone that was involved in the bringing together of Walpeup Underbool and the Ouyen United clubs, the merge has been successful and has overcome many challenges. This is due to all involved looking at the bigger picture and a commitment to ensure there is football and netball (and recreation and social opportunities) in the area for youth and the general community.

Whilst there are challenges with a reduced population, less young people and an older demographic, the new club is in exceptional health, financially strong and has excellent community and business support. The merge allowed the club to enter the Mildura and Adelaide markets and resulted in many former and high quality players returning to play often for payment well less than what was on offer elsewhere.

Finally the merge has also seen a strong family focused culture develop and this now makes the Ouyen Kangas a club that is very attractive for players, their families and both the general and business community want to be a part of.

Unfortunately many clubs around Maryborough and Castlemaine can’t see beyond the entrance to their respective home ground and therefore change is not on their agenda despite it being urgently needed.

Last edited:

Those comments are so out of touch they are frightening. If that is the leadership then god help the game.

With all due respect to the learned minds in this discussion, to me there is a lack of clarity about the fundamental issues at play here.

Yes there are too many clubs, everywhere, not just in Castlemaine and Maryborough but that is only part of the equation.

Fact is Castlemaine and Maryborough, the Giants, Campbells Creek, Harcourt, Maldon, Newstead and Carisbrook could all merge tomorrow and create a super club but they would still not have the ability to compete in the long term in Bendigo.

There are multiple factors at play that create a playing field that is hopelessly lopsided in favour of the other Bendigo clubs.

If you analyse simple demographics, economic and employment data, it is plain and clear that a club from those areas will not be sustainable against most of the other clubs in the longer term.

The only way to change that is to employ equalisation measures. In the same way St Kilda would never be able to compete with Collingwood if the AFL didn’t use equalisation mechanisms, neither will the country clubs if it doesn’t happen in country footy.

Those comments are so out of touch they are frightening. If that is the leadership then god help the game.

With all due respect to the learned minds in this discussion, to me there is a lack of clarity about the fundamental issues at play here.

Yes there are too many clubs, everywhere, not just in Castlemaine and Maryborough but that is only part of the equation.

Fact is Castlemaine and Maryborough, the Giants, Campbells Creek, Harcourt, Maldon, Newstead and Carisbrook could all merge tomorrow and create a super club but they would still not have the ability to compete in the long term in Bendigo.

There are multiple factors at play that create a playing field that is hopelessly lopsided in favour of the other Bendigo clubs.

If you analyse simple demographics, economic and employment data, it is plain and clear that a club from those areas will not be sustainable against most of the other clubs in the longer term.

The only way to change that is to employ equalisation measures. In the same way St Kilda would never be able to compete with Collingwood if the AFL didn’t use equalisation mechanisms, neither will the country clubs if it doesn’t happen in country footy.

What can league administrators actually do to help Maryborough? Really I’d love to know. The only way is to have clubs merged or dissolved so that the number of options for players is reduced.

The best scenario is for clubs to be proactive and so it themselves so that the can maintain some identify, family links, sponsorship money and community support

Ouyen United, Berri Culgoa Sea Lake Nandaly, Southern Mallee Thunder and let’s not forget Kerang (which is actually an amalgamation of Kerang, Rovers and Appin) are examples of how things need to be done

What can league administrators actually do to help Maryborough? Really I’d love to know. The only way is to have clubs merged or dissolved so that the number of options for players is reduced.

The best scenario is for clubs to be proactive and so it themselves so that the can maintain some identify, family links, sponsorship money and community support

Ouyen United, Berri Culgoa Sea Lake Nandaly, Southern Mallee Thunder and let’s not forget Kerang (which is actually an amalgamation of Kerang, Rovers and Appin) are examples of how things need to be done

They could start by equalising the competition. How many points did the top 4 teams come back this year ? Or did they stay the same ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back