Phantom Draft Bastyy's 2020 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
34. Taj Schofield (Outside Midfielder/South Australia) (Port Adelaide F/S)
Taj isn’t really an outside mid

granted he should be, it’s where he could use his skills, and the position he has the most potential to play at afl level but in reality he plays more of a pseudo-inside role lurking around contests rather than hard running to the outside to receive.

Club Focus: Peel Thunder
Young Zachary Rankin for Peel Thunder is starting to become one to watch for this draft. Made his league debut alongside Isiah Winder last week, and held his spot this week (Winder was put back in the colts). Recorded 17 disposals playing off of half back, but has been starring in the centre in the colts with the following stat lines for both colts games

Round 4 vs Claremont (League)

29RANKIN Zachary1071731010000

Round 3 vs West Perth (League)

29RANKIN Zachary43720011100

Round 2 vs East Fremantle
8RANKIN Zachary1862477012121

Round 1 vs Perth
8RANKIN Zachary1742184062200

Isiah Winder is still the player who's most likely to get drafted for Peel, a personal favourite for mine who surprisingly got dropped back to the colts, could be to strengthen the colts as Peel's midfield without Rankin and Winder was lackluster. He's putting in very good numbers as a midfielder after playing last year as a small forward

5WINDER Isiah15112695042111

26WINDER Isiah27923000000

Round 2 vs East Fremantle
5WINDER Isiah15112657031021

Round 1 vs Perth
5WINDER Isiah16163277021302

Michael Randall is a 20 year old, big bodied midfielder who's played league for Peel this year and has been consistently one of Peel's best. Was invited to train with Fremantle this year to help fill in numbers for scratch matches pre-covid, and was particularly impressive.

11RANDALL Michael1372063031100

11RANDALL Michael1901916062000

Round 2 vs East Fremantle (League)
11RANDALL Michael1031343020100

Round 1 vs Perth (League)
11RANDALL Michael1822053051200

Peel is usually one of the harder teams for players to get noticed in League wise, being affiliated with Fremantle means the second tier Dockers players are going to get the top spots each week, but in a year without them, it's giving Randall a brilliant opportunity to get drafted late.

Some other notable players for Peel that are available this year include

Tyler Nesbitt (General Defender) (Colts)
Tyler is part of the AFL Academy and was close to making his senior debut this week, being named on the extended bench, but played in the colts instead, gathering 6 disposals, 4 tackles and 1 mark.

David Yaccob (General Defender) (Colts)
David is another half back flanker who has been putting up great numbers so far, and could potentially be on the brink for a league debut.

For 2021, Peel has three particularly interesting players

Kobe Farmer (Small Forward) (Colts) (Freo NGA/Melbourne and Freo F/S)
The son of the wizard is consistent week in, week out. Not someone who is gonna put up massive numbers disposal wise, but has helped Peel on the scoreboard immensely, with 7 goals from 4 games. Has also averaged 4.5 tackles a week, so he's able to apply pressure, which is a good sign for a modern day small forward

Luke Polson (Tall Defender) (Colts)
The 194cm Academy member has been a good accumulator for Peel off of half back, but has also played as a tall forward this year, kicking 2 goals this week against Claremont. In 2019 he had a pinch hit in the ruck recording 11 disposals. Something he won't do at AFL Level, but a good sign of versatility for recruiters.

Joshua Edwards (Ruckman) (Colts)
Came on my radar this week. Seems to be an effective tap ruckman who held his own in the ruck against Kalin Lane last week and Michael Mallard the week before. His major focus for next year would probably be work around the ground, with his highest disposal count for the year being 6 last week against Lane. Probably projecting as a late project pick next year, but someone to watch.

Looking ahead to 2022, the main player to watch is

Joshua Draper (186cm Ruckman) (Freo NGA)
Only played the one colts game so far, recording 10 disposals and goal, someone to watch over the coming years

Gold Coast vs Brisbane Academy Match
Finally got around to watching the GC vs Brisbane academy match, first time watching most of the Suns players, while I've seen a good amount of the Coleman-Crozier-Michael trio for Brisbane

Best on ground for me had to be Aiden Fyfe who played really well with ball in hand and just found it all day. Skilful and composed, someone who has jumped on my radar very quickly now

Rhys Nicholls wasn't everywhere, but when he got the ball he was smooth. Playing off the half back seems a good position for him, but could even move up to a wing position as time goes on. Definitely one who I think gets drafted late this year, has a lot for clubs to work with

Hadn't heard of Max Pescud before this game but he played very well and challenged Fyfe for BOG. Had some brilliant moments, including a great mark in the first quarter resulting in his first goal, and a good 1-2 run down the wing with Aiden Fyfe. Speedy type who has definitely put his name on the map

Josh Gore was one of my favourite Allies players last year and I was surprised he didn't get drafted, and he's definitely not disappointing as a 19 year old this year. Playing in the midfield his clean hands were quite useful, but he was also able to hit the scoreboard, something he did consistently last year.

Josh Fahey reminds me a lot of Hayden Young. He's an amazing kick out of defence and looked as solid as a rock down back. I usually have a favourite player each year, and Fahey is an early contender for my favourite 2021 player if he plays like that every time.

Jack Johnston wasn't hard to notice with his big frame and ripper haircut. He's a very strong tall defender who uses his body effectively, and was pretty skilful. One of the ones I was most interested to watch and he didn't let me down.

This was the first time I got to watch Tahj Abberly and he really impressed me. Tried his hardest all day and just seemed to be everywhere for Brisbane. Created a great goal for Coleman in the second term. Someone who's hopped on my radar now with his amazing intent and accumulation.

Blake Coleman wasn't up to his best, but he continues to prove he's an X-Factor with a brilliant goal in the second quarter. Put great pressure on the GC defence. Someone who should slot in well in the future for Brisbane

Carter Michael and Saxon Crozier were both okay, but neither were at their best. I thought Michael playing on the half back line was interesting and he definitely showed signs, but I thought he played better on the wing. Crozier is one of my personal favourites but I think it was a weak game from him, though after a quiet first term he was able to rebound in the second, but I still think he was quiet in the second half compared to his best.

Others I thought showed signs without starring included Ryan Pickering, Nathan Colenso and William Bella. Colenso probably the best out of that group, who looks very strong.

Won’t quote the entire post Bastyy , but you mentioned about Luke Polson pinch hitting in the ruck but unlikely to do that at the next level.

Would that be a skills level or are you thinking he’s too short? Oscar Allen has being playing as 2nd ruck this year and he’s not much taller and doing a good job so if he’s got some scope it’s probably not a bad thing to show off some versatility.

Won’t quote the entire post Bastyy , but you mentioned about Luke Polson pinch hitting in the ruck but unlikely to do that at the next level.

Would that be a skills level or are you thinking he’s too short? Oscar Allen has being playing as 2nd ruck this year and he’s not much taller and doing a good job so if he’s got some scope it’s probably not a bad thing to show off some versatility.
You do bring up a good point about Allen, I’ve enjoyed watching him in the ruck this year but I think he’s a unique case in the fact that the Eagles have 3 tall forwards and Nic Nat as opposed to most teams running with 2 tall forwards and 2 ruckmen. Polson having that versatility is great from a selection POV, allowing you to have 3 genuine tall forwards and the one Ruck as opposed to 3 key forwards and 2 rucks which probably makes a hypothetical team too slow or easy to beat at ground level.

It will still be a wait and see for Polson however, but for now it’s a part of his game that’s a lucky bonus if anything, assuming he’s drafted next year.

I saw J-Lo talking about Freo wanting a KPF and outside run at the draft this year. Which players do you reckon they'd be looking at with their likely picks?

I saw J-Lo talking about Freo wanting a KPF and outside run at the draft this year. Which players do you reckon they'd be looking at with their likely picks?
At our first pick we'll probably miss out on McDonald and most of the other KPF's are probably just a bit out of the range. I personally have Callow in the top 10, but there's no chance we take him that early, more likely to be taken in the 25-40 range. If our second pick comes before a Walker/Western bid then I'd take Callow. Baldwin is one who's going to fall down the draft more than he should, he's a top 3 tall forward in this draft but with 2 years out of the system with an ACL some clubs will probably pass.

I think if we go for a tall forward it will be late. Options include Finn Heard and Ned Carey from SA, Liam McMahon, Josh Treacy and Ollie Lord from Vic and Michael Mallard from WA, who is more of a Ruck/Forward if anything.

For outside run the most obvious pick is O'Driscoll, who's putting up some great numbers in the WAFL. Some good late options include Carter Michael from Queensland, Jake Bowey and Lochlan Jenkins from Vic, Phoenix Spicer from SA and Patrick Walker from Tasmania. Brandon Walker and Joel Western are also great outside options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 30: September Update
Updated my Top 30, meant to do that on the 1st of the month, but completely forgot! Will probably stray away from a Top 50 until we get closer to the draft, as players move in and out of it too much.

1. Logan McDonald (Tall Forward/Western Australia)
2. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Tall Forward/Vic Country) (Western Bulldogs NGA)
3. Denver Grainger-Barrass (Tall Defender/Western Australia)
4. Will Phillips (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
5. Elijah Hollands (General Forward/Vic Country)
6. Braeden Campbell (Inside Midfielder/Allies) (Sydney Academy)
7. Riley Thilthorpe (Tall Forward/South Australia)
8. Tanner Bruhn (Inside Midfielder/Vic Country)
9. Archie Perkins (General Forward/Vic Metro)
10. Nathan O'Driscoll (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)

11. Jackson Callow (Tall Forward/Allies)
12. Zane Trew (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)
13. Lachlan Jones (General Defence/South Australia) (Port Adelaide NGA)
14. Alex Davies (Inside Midfielder/Allies) (Gold Coast Academy)
15. Errol Gulden (Inside Midfielder/Allies) (Sydney Academy)
16. Reef McInnes (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro) (Collingwood NGA)
17. Oliver Henry (General Forward/Vic Country)
18. Heath Chapman (Tall Defender/Western Australia)
19. Eddie Ford (General Forward/Vic Metro)
20. Bailey Laurie (Small Forward/Vic Metro)

21. Jack Carroll (Outside Midfielder/Western Australia)
22. Finlay Macrae (Outside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
23. Oliver Davis (Inside Midfielder/Allies)
24. Nik Cox (Tall Defender/Vic Metro)
25. Joel Western (General Forward/Western Australia) (Fremantle NGA)
26. Tom Powell (Inside Midfielder/South Australia)
27. Brandon Walker (General Defence/Western Australia) (Fremantle NGA)
28. Joel Jeffrey (Utility/Allies) (Gold Coast Academy)
29. Zach Reid (Tall Defender/Vic Country)
30. Isiah Winder (General Forward/Western Australia)

On the Cusp: Brayden Cook, Corey Durdin

Aiming to get another Club Focus done soon, another WAFL team, but want to get a couple of SANFL teams done as well.

Club Focus: Swan Districts
Denver Grainger-Barrass has been compared to Jeremy McGovern, and it's a very fair comparison. One of the best intercept markers in this draft, the 18 year old has played League level footy all year for Swan Districts. He's clean with the ball and marks every ball that comes his way. His read of the play is brilliant and his composure is top notch. There's a reason most draft watchers have DGB as the best Tall Defender in the draft.

Last 3 Games

Round 8 vs Perth (League)
15GRAINGER-BARRAS Denver1241683011100

Round 7 vs East Perth (League)
19GRAINGER-BARRAS Denver72943000210

Round 6 vs Peel Thunder (League)
19GRAINGER-BARRAS Denver551043002100

Zane Trew is one of WA's premier midfielders for 2020, and despite playing for the Colt's 2020 Wooden Spooners, he has done his draft chances no harm. He's a contested ball magnet who has some of the cleanest hands in this draft. He's a strong contender for the first round and is consistently putting up good numbers for the Swans. Trew's season is over until the a potential All stars game, with Swan Districts failing to make finals in all 3 of the WAFL's levels.

Last 3 Games

Round 9 vs East Fremantle
8TREW Zane151732710050300

Round 8 vs Perth
8TREW Zane1482259033100

Round 7 vs East Perth
8TREW Zane151631410051101

Former Sydney Swans and Northern Blues player Sam Fisher made the decision to move West in the off season and what a great decision. The 22 year old has racked up the ball consistently and has been one of Swan Districts most prolific midfielders alongside Frank Anderson. He's shown now at VFL and WAFL level that he can rack up the ball and use it well.

Last 3 Games

9FISHER Samuel12112324051000

9FISHER Samuel21163777041001

9FISHER Samuel9162502011200

Some of the other players that are pushing their case in the draft this year for Swan Districts

Frank Anderson (Inside Midfielder) (League)
The partner in crime to Sam Fisher, consistent as ever and has translated strong VFL form last year to great WAFL form. Had a lot of interest in last years Mid-Season Draft from Fremantle and Richmond among other teams.

Ty Sears (General Defence) (Colts)
The pacey half back made it into the academy for Swan Districts. He can play on the wing, but at AFL level probably finds himself playing in the backline. A late chance.

Jamison Ugle (Outside Midfielder) (Colts)
Another speedy player for SD who has his fans, but is the sort of player that probably will end up playing reserves for Swan Districts next year. One to keep an eye on in the next few years

Ayden Cartwright (General Forward/Inside Midfielder) (Colts)
One of Swan Districts most consistent contributors at Colts levels, again another who is unlikely to get drafted, but has probably attracted some interest considering how consistent he's been all year.

Swan Districts have a very exciting 2021 crop, with some potential first round names.

Rhett Bazzo (Tall Defender) (Colts)
We got to see Sam Taylor emerge a few years back, and Denver Grainger-Barrass this year for Swan Districts, but the Swans have another Tall Defender to look forward to with Rhett Bazzo. He's been starring at PSA level and will be able to play a full year for the Swan Districts next year. He was selected for the AFL Academy this year, and will be given plenty of opportunities next year.

Max Chipper (Outside Midfielder) (Colts)
Speed and class, one of the most exciting midfielders coming out of WA, Chipper was one of the best players for WA in the Under 16's carnival last year. Joined Bazzo as one of Swan Districts under agers in the AFL Academy, and will be one to look forward to once 2021 rolls around.

Lawson Humphries (General Defence) (West Coast NGA) (Colts)
Humphries has spent most of the year playing in the PSA, but the West Coast NGA product has shown skill and composure whenever he's played at colts level. Captain of Hale school, Humphries is one of WA's most skillful players for 2021, and will be one to watch for West Coast fans.

Luke Taylor (Tall Forward) (Colts)
The brother of GWS's Sam Taylor hasn't been the best tall forward this year, but he's managed to kick 9 goals from 7 games. One with a lot of potential, who should line up alongside Claremont's Jacob van Rooyen in the forward line in next years U19 champs.

For 2022, the best prospect for Swan Districts is

Elijah Hewitt (General Forward) (Colts)
The crafty forward can ply his trade in the forward line and the midfield, he's had a great year at PSA level, and has averaged 13 disposals from his 3 WAFL games.

Shouldn't you delete Davies and Jeffrey as Gold Coast can pre list them and not be bid on as Gold Coast Academy.
Davies yes, Jeffery no. He has not committed to having gold coast pre-list him, he may opt to go into open draft which some people say is a 50/50 possibility, and people do like to see where these players who are prelisted would sit in comparison to others in the open draft.

Former Sydney Swans and Northern Blues player Sam Fisher made the decision to move West in the off season and what a great decision. The 22 year old has racked up the ball consistently and has been one of Swan Districts most prolific midfielders alongside Frank Anderson. He's shown now at VFL and WAFL level that he can rack up the ball and use it well.

Last 3 Games

9FISHER Samuel12112324051000

9FISHER Samuel21163777041001

9FISHER Samuel9162502011200
For those who don't follow the WAFL, Sam Fisher took home the Sandover medal tonight which is league's highest honour. Should boost his draft stocks a bit

Lachlan Vanirsen (Subiaco) won the Jack Clarke medal which is awarded to the best player in the Colts competition, Vanirsen starred last weekend in the preliminary final against East Fremantle with 31 disposals and 2 goals (22 of those disposals and 2 of those goals coming in the first half alone) so his draft stocks should be rising. If there is a final round of WA combine invitees with the grand final this week, then Vanirsen would be first up. "

Mason Shaw (South Fremantle) won the leagues goal kicking award, not in draft contention but I'd personally take him over someone like Tyler Keitel who gets brought up a lot.

Grand Finals this week for all WAFL levels, I'll do some previews before the big day

Top 30: October Update
Updated Top 30, not many changes since last month

2. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Tall Forward/Vic Country) (Bulldogs NGA)
3. Braedan Campbell (Inside Midfielder/New South Wales) (Sydney Academy)
4. Elijah Hollands (General Forward/Vic Country)
5. Denver Grainger-Barrass (Tall Defender/Western Australia)
6. Riley Thilthorpe (Tall Forward/South Australia)
7. Will Phillips (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
10. Lachlan Jones (General Defence/South Australia) (Port Adelaide NGA)

11. Jackson Callow (Tall Forward/Tasmania)
13. Nathan O'Driscoll (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)
14. Alex Davies (Inside Midfielder/Queensland) (Gold Coast Academy)
15. Errol Gulden (Utility/New South Wales) (Sydney Academy)
16. Reef McInnes (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)

22. Nik Cox (Tall Defender/Vic Metro)
23. Oliver Davis (Inside Midfielder/Tasmania)
24. Finlay Macrae (Outside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
25. Joel Western (General Forward/Western Australia) (Freo NGA)
27. Brandon Walker (General Defence/Western Australia) (Freo NGA)
28. Brayden Cook (General Forward/South Australia)
29. Isiah Winder (Small Forward/Western Australia)
30. Caleb Poulter (General Forward/South Australia)

The only two players to fall out are Zach Reid and Joel Jeffrey, both of them only falling out to 32 and 31 respectively

Poulter returns and Cook joins the Top 30. Poulter I think will stay around the 25-35 area of my ranking for the rest of the year and Cook is someone that is on the rise. Other players that might move up as I look back over footage include Winder, Western and Carroll.

Winder's performance at the combine helped sell me on the fact I've been right keeping him on the Top 30 all year, he's going to be a little gun.

The problem I face now is that I have 12 or so players on the cusp of the 30, while outside of the top 60 there aren't too many talents that I'm 100% sold on. Mature agers like Tom Highmore and Rhyan Mansell have moved up the list as I've looked to the SANFL and WAFL's mature agers to help add some depth to my top 100. Some more speculative picks like Liam Kolar and Tyler Brockman have also been added to the lower end of my top 100, two players who I'm not confident enough to rank in the 50-70 area but two players who I think can develop into something strong.

East Perth is up next for my club focuses, and I'll try and get write ups out for the Subiaco vs Claremont Colts Grand Finals and the WA All Star matches, as well as some of the SANFL finals

Updated Top 30, not many changes since last month

2. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Tall Forward/Vic Country) (Bulldogs NGA)
3. Braedan Campbell (Inside Midfielder/New South Wales) (Sydney Academy)
4. Elijah Hollands (General Forward/Vic Country)
5. Denver Grainger-Barrass (Tall Defender/Western Australia)
6. Riley Thilthorpe (Tall Forward/South Australia)
7. Will Phillips (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
10. Lachlan Jones (General Defence/South Australia) (Port Adelaide NGA)

11. Jackson Callow (Tall Forward/Tasmania)
13. Nathan O'Driscoll (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)
14. Alex Davies (Inside Midfielder/Queensland) (Gold Coast Academy)
15. Errol Gulden (Utility/New South Wales) (Sydney Academy)
16. Reef McInnes (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)

22. Nik Cox (Tall Defender/Vic Metro)
23. Oliver Davis (Inside Midfielder/Tasmania)
24. Finlay Macrae (Outside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
25. Joel Western (General Forward/Western Australia) (Freo NGA)
27. Brandon Walker (General Defence/Western Australia) (Freo NGA)
28. Brayden Cook (General Forward/South Australia)
29. Isiah Winder (Small Forward/Western Australia)
30. Caleb Poulter (General Forward/South Australia)

The only two players to fall out are Zach Reid and Joel Jeffrey, both of them only falling out to 32 and 31 respectively

Poulter returns and Cook joins the Top 30. Poulter I think will stay around the 25-35 area of my ranking for the rest of the year and Cook is someone that is on the rise. Other players that might move up as I look back over footage include Winder, Western and Carroll.

Winder's performance at the combine helped sell me on the fact I've been right keeping him on the Top 30 all year, he's going to be a little gun.

The problem I face now is that I have 12 or so players on the cusp of the 30, while outside of the top 60 there aren't too many talents that I'm 100% sold on. Mature agers like Tom Highmore and Rhyan Mansell have moved up the list as I've looked to the SANFL and WAFL's mature agers to help add some depth to my top 100. Some more speculative picks like Liam Kolar and Tyler Brockman have also been added to the lower end of my top 100, two players who I'm not confident enough to rank in the 50-70 area but two players who I think can develop into something strong.

East Perth is up next for my club focuses, and I'll try and get write ups out for the Subiaco vs Claremont Colts Grand Finals and the WA All Star matches, as well as some of the SANFL finals

Some possible late picks from those who played and were amongst the best in the Qafl grand final - Blake Coleman, Josh Gore (20 goal season) , Aiden Fyfe and Bayley Reeves and I still think Carter Michael could get picked up

Some possible late picks from those who played and were amongst the best in the Qafl grand final - Blake Coleman, Josh Gore (20 goal season) , Aiden Fyfe and Bayley Reeves and I still think Carter Michael could get picked up
I’m a big fan of Coleman, Fyfe and Gore. Coleman is right on the edge of the 30 and I think he’s really promising. Fyfe has been best on or close to best on in most of the games I’ve watched him and he’s always finding himself in the right spots. Gore is one I really liked last year and I noticed he’s played some midfield as well, I think he’ll get a late spot

Hey mate, big fan

Chapman is more of an intercepting tall defender and most of his traits don’t translate to a midfielder
So very little capacity? I really rate his endurance and foot skills and think that could be an asset if he was to be given the opportunity on a wing, especially if there are concerns on his ability to play on an AFL level tall forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back