Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see Jack White back in the NBA even if only on a 10 dayer. Didnt know he played with Duke. Does anyone else think Exum can take the next step and lead the national team. Seems like he's finally putting it all together
I don’t see Exum as the type of player to “lead” a team. I could be wrong, but he seems like the archetypal high level role player. Does everything well, if you need some shooting he can do, if you need defence he can do, if you need someone to create off the bounce he can do. All in moderation though.

Who knows maybe without Luka and if the keys are given to him he could drive the team and run everything through him. Just not sure that’s him though.

Magney is the one for me that could be every chance to go. He’s such a good one on one big defender and will be aweosme around the hoop in a fiba setting.

We certainly could us the improvement in defense under the basket but they would have to be committing to Reath and some Landale at 4 to make it worth taking him. Just don't see Gorj doing that, he likes his one big with an undersized 4 that can shoot OK

No Simmons again is interesting. Think he's done his dash. Not good enough these days. A shame
His back is rubber ducked, no way he would play after he was shut down for the rest of the NBA season.

Strong squad, some good height with Landale, Reath and Rocco. Plenty of 3 point shooting and defence out the wazoo, both on the wings and at the basket in Landale.

I'd move on from Goulding, although I get why they like to have him. Given the coach I expect minimal change and wouldn't be shocked if Delly is picked again which is ridiculous. I think he will go with Kay ahead of Cooks and White.

Changes to yours I expect would be Delly and Kay for Cooks and White.

Changes I'd like is Mcveigh and Furphy for Goulding and White. Not just being a JJ homer but in a time versatility is king I think Mcveigh gives you more than a couple of the others on the fringe.

Furphy is a super exciting prospect but is no way ready for senior international competition. He’s a literal stick who just finished his freshman year, pretty sure he’s in the squad for experience, like Wessells prior to the WC.

I want us to mix up our squad so we aren’t so same same but it would be controversial to leave out an NBA player or two, so doubt it will happen.

I'd move on from Goulding, although I get why they like to have him. Given the coach I expect minimal change and wouldn't be shocked if Delly is picked again which is ridiculous. I think he will go with Kay ahead of Cooks and White.

Changes to yours I expect would be Delly and Kay for Cooks and White.

Changes I'd like is Mcveigh and Furphy for Goulding and White. Not just being a JJ homer but in a time versatility is king I think Mcveigh gives you more than a couple of the others on the fringe.
The main reason Goulding would be picked is 3 point shooting. If we're not going him, then Vasiljevic offers much the same.

Delly has lost a step and doesn't offer the defensive pressure he once did and we have defence out the wazoo in Exum, Green, Thybulle and Daniels. Since his 3 point shooting is not the same, I'd take it as a choice between the other two fringe guards.

Squad looks spot on. Although Travers not in there doesn’t make much sense to me. Good to see Furphy and Rocco in there. Future big time boomers. Love seeing DJ in there to contend with Goulding as the bench shooter spot. And Magney if fit is a real chance.

Furphy is a super exciting prospect but is no way ready for senior international competition. He’s a literal stick who just finished his freshman year, pretty sure he’s in the squad for experience, like Wessells prior to the WC.

I want us to mix up our squad so we aren’t so same same but it would be controversial to leave out an NBA player or two, so doubt it will happen.
I totally agree that Magney should be a real chance. We got destroyed against teams with strong bigs who can play in the low post at the last World Champs. I agree Furphy won't make the next Olympic team but he's shaping up as a better long term prospect than I thought. In recent times his output has increased dramatically and he's shot up the draft boards as a result. The most recent mocks have him 25-30 but he could yet be a late first rounder if he continues his rate of improvement.

I totally agree that Magney should be a real chance. We got destroyed against teams with strong bigs who can play in the low post at the last World Champs. I agree Furphy won't make the next Olympic team but he's shaping up as a better long term prospect than I thought. In recent times his output has increased dramatically and he's shot up the draft boards as a result. The most recent mocks have him 25-30 but he could yet be a late first rounder if he continues his rate of improvement.
The more I look over it the more I think Magnay must go. Gives us so much more playing time to pair Reath and Landale. It’s always been a question of fitness with Will. If never had injuries I believe he’d be cemented on an nba bench somewhere. He still looks hurt in game 5 but what he can do around the ring defensively, no one else can in Aus

There's 12 players I think there's benefit in have a couple of the next guys. Despite getting a medal it was a mistake to leave Giddey out last time. With the golden generation guys like Patty were given the experience very early. Its not like you're leaving out a rotation guy.

I’m pretty shocked he’s there over Travers, especially considering it’s his draft year too. Travers is nba bound and if he can find his shot over there, we are going to have a serious national team prospect

The main reason Goulding would be picked is 3 point shooting. If we're not going him, then Vasiljevic offers much the same.

Delly has lost a step and doesn't offer the defensive pressure he once did and we have defence out the wazoo in Exum, Green, Thybulle and Daniels. Since his 3 point shooting is not the same, I'd take it as a choice between the other two fringe guards.
I think McVeigh is in the convo with Goulding and DJ as the bench shooter. I’d prefer delly over Goulding. But I think Goulding will be picked in the 12th spot

Giddey/Mills/Daniels
Green/Goulding
Exum/Ingles
Landale/Thybulle/White
Reath/Magnay

Considered McVeigh over White and Kay over Magnay. I'm not taking Cooks, just don't think he fits at all with his play style.

And yes I know Jock is a C, but I want to start the two bigs together.

Also will be good just to have Furphy and Zikarsky around the squad. I wouldn't pick either, but they both look like the future.

Giddey/Mills/Daniels
Green/Goulding
Exum/Ingles
Landale/Thybulle/White
Reath/Magnay

Considered McVeigh over White and Kay over Magnay. I'm not taking Cooks, just don't think he fits at all with his play style.

That’s exactly how I’d pick it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giddey/Mills/Daniels
Green/Goulding
Exum/Ingles
Landale/Thybulle/White
Reath/Magnay

Kay's a big favourite of Goorjan I can't see him missing the team. I'd pick Kay over White and I think Goulding will be selected but personally I'd select Mcveigh over Goulding too.

Kay's a big favourite of Goorjan I can't see him missing the team. I'd pick Kay over White and I think Goulding will be selected but personally I'd select Mcveigh over Goulding too.
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Kay gets selected over one of White/Magnay. Won’t necessarily be too bothered either way as long as he isn’t playing massive minutes.

Might be a silly question but is thybulle a lock. A great perimeter defender but green and exum are pretty handy too.
Not much of a scoring threat although he did knock a couple of 3s down last tournament
Hows his nba form been?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might be a silly question but is thybulle a lock. A great perimeter defender but green and exum are pretty handy too.
Not much of a scoring threat although he did knock a couple of 3s down last tournament
Hows his nba form been?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s a lock. No question in my opinion

He’s a lock. No question in my opinion
Yep I agree especially as Matisse shoots significantly better at the 3 at international level with the closer 3 point line compared to the NBA. I think he'll be on the court a fair bit with Reath who I predict will shoot the 3 at over 40% at the Olympics. Reath shoots 36% from 3 at NBA level. Matisse shoots at 34.5% so he only needs to improve a tad to be a good 3 point shooter for the Boomers.

Last edited:
Seriously, still mentioning Simmons at this point is like being married with kids, rocking up to your 40th birthday party and feeling bad that your primary school crush wasn't invited.

Let it go.

3 aussies selected in today's WNBA draft.

PickPlayerTeamSchool / club team
1Caitlin ClarkIndiana FeverIowa
2Cameron BrinkLos Angeles SparksStanford
3Kamilla CardosoChicago SkySouth Carolina
4Rickea JacksonLos Angeles SparksTennessee
5Jacy SheldonDallas WingsOhio State
6Aaliyah EdwardsWashington MysticsUConn
7Angel ReeseChicago SkyLSU
8Alissa PiliMinnesota LynxUtah
9Carla Leite [fr]Dallas WingsTarbes (France)
10Leïla Lacan [fr]Connecticut SunAngers (France)
11Marquesha DavisNew York LibertyOle Miss
12Nyadiew PuochAtlanta DreamSouthside Flyers (Australia)
13Brynna MaxwellChicago SkyGonzaga
14Nika MühlSeattle StormUConn
15Celeste TaylorIndiana FeverOhio State
16Dyaisha FairLas Vegas AcesSyracuse
17Esmery MartínezNew York LibertyArizona
18Kate MartinLas Vegas AcesIowa
19Taiyanna JacksonConnecticut SunKansas
20Isobel BorlaseAtlanta DreamAdelaide Lightning (Australia)
21Kaylynne TruongWashington MysticsGonzaga
22Helena PueyoConnecticut SunArizona
23Jessika CarterNew York LibertyMississippi State
24Elizabeth KitleyLas Vegas AcesVirginia Tech
25Charisma OsbornePhoenix MercuryUCLA
26Mackenzie HolmesSeattle StormIndiana
27Leilani CorreaIndiana FeverFlorida
28McKenzie ForbesLos Angeles SparksUSC
29Jaz ShelleyPhoenix MercuryNebraska
30Nastja ClaessensWashington MysticsCastors Braine (Belgium)
31Kiki JeffersonMinnesota LynxLouisville
32Matilde VillaAtlanta DreamReyer Venezia (Italy)
33Ashley OwusuDallas WingsPenn State
34Abbey HsuConnecticut SunColumbia
35Kaitlyn DavisNew York LibertyUSC
36Angel JacksonLas Vegas AcesJackson State

Remove this Banner Ad

Back