Aussies Aussie Watch - Tokyo 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I have been following this story. Sad about the older brother.. a promising BMX rider like his sister before he suffered brain damage in a bad spill.
You said Saya was leading and the Yank smashed into back of her bike yet the Aussie is penalised. Why wasn't the Yank girl disqualified?
Neither qualified due to the crash so irrelevant

What are our best good chances from here? We’ve missed a couple in the pool which is disappointed but I always feel like we do well given our tiny population compared to many countries.

I was hoping for 12+ but that seems a reach.

Genuine gold chances:
- 2 x sailing (both currently in 1st position but no guarantees)
- men's hockey
- men's freestyle bmx

Some chance, but I doubt it:
- women's hockey
- tennis mixed doubles

Maybe medal with some luck:
- 2 x basketball
- women's water polo
- golf
- men's K1 slalom
- women's beach volleyball
- maybe some track and field (e.g. 2 x high jump, women's javelin, men's 1500m)

Plus whatever is left in the pool.

Genuine gold chances:
- 2 x sailing (both currently in 1st position but no guarantees)
- men's hockey
- men's freestyle bmx

Some chance, but I doubt it:
- women's hockey
- tennis mixed doubles

Maybe medal with some luck:
- 2 x basketball
- women's water polo
- golf
- men's K1 slalom
- women's beach volleyball
- maybe some track and field (e.g. 2 x high jump, women's javelin, men's 1500m)

Plus whatever is left in the pool.
Men's basketball finished 4th by a bees dick in the world championship without Thybulle. They should medal, it isn't a maybe with luck.

With swimming, rowing, sailing and archery almost done and dusted will switch my mind to track cycling, 3 day equestrian cross country and athletic field events over the coming week.

Kinda baffled why 7+ seems to be prioritising female sailing races. Australia has two strong male medal chances .. yet still to see even one of their races live or otherwise.
7+ takes the feed from the Olympic Broadcasting Service. From what I can work out they only have one english commentary team per sport, but film everything, so then that commentary team can comment on that event that clashed, from tape and they put that on the feed as if its live.

In the athletics today the yank race caller, pommie guy and Jane Fleming called a race and then called a field event that was on when the race was on and commented on it like the field event was happening live.

A legend. Gold medalist 3-Day Eventing 92, 96, 2000 if memory serves. Seems to be some conjecture over his precise Olympic attendances. This tells me Tokyo is his 9th not 8th if you add Rio. Andrew Hoy has the rare distinction of competing in seven Olympic Games. From the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics to the 2012 London Games.(Equestrian Australia)
He missed 2008. Pretty sure his horse was lame so he pulled out.

That explains a lot. Totally biased commentary and vision. Does the UK own the OBS and is that why almost all English language sport has a Pommie commentator.
The IOC set it up after Atlanta I think, (maybe after Sydney.) and own it. They are the ones producing the pictures we see and have done so since they were set up. They basically got rid of the host nation broadcaster having to do the job and spend all the $$ to buy the technology and employ technical staff. This way the IOC have full control.

Why poms?? probably because they are close to IOC in Lausanne I guess, and UK have guys who do a lot international sports commentary, so I guess the guys in Lausanne go to UK and talk to them about doing the job. Maybe also they like the softer British accent.

Bruce and Nicole Livingstone did the swimming for OBS in 2012 when 9/Foxtel had the Oz rights for London. Adrian Moorhouse (1988 100m Breaststroke gold medalist) and Livingstone are doing it this games.

In 2018 Peter Doneghan got the job to call the speed skating stuff, both long and short track at the Winter Olympics, because there are minimal English speaking speed skating commentators, so they would be working for the rights holders in their nations, so someone recommended Doneghan as he does a lot of sports, including golf on the Asian tour, even though he has never called speed skating before. I thought I would miss Bruce calling the athletics in London, but Donegan was brilliant and I didn't miss Bruce at all after the first day.

I rang up the Saturday morning sports show on 5AA during the 2018 Winter Olympics as Craig Hutchison comes on for the last 10 minutes before midday, and I asked them to ask Hutchy why, and how the bloody hell did Doneghan get the job to call speed skating for the OBS. Hutchy said he's a great caller and does a lot of sports and with the games being in South Korea, and because he calls a lot of golf on the Asian tournaments, he was head hunted. He didn't say it to the 5AA guys, but probably some one in South Korea knew his work from golf and made the recommendation.

Last edited:
Just remembered there was a Kiwi doing the rowing and at the surfing it was a novus Pommie calling the general action and Aussie ex pro surfer barton Lynch doing the technical stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That explains a lot. Totally biased commentary and vision. Does the UK own the OBS and is that why almost all international sport is dominated by Pommie commentators.

Yeah, it can be a bit annoying. The generic feed should at least be neutral, but from what I've seen there seems to be a lot of genuine barracking for Poms.

On your original question, Ch 7 specifically stated at one time that they were sorry for not being able to show the sailing with the Australians on top, but they were at the mercy of the host broadcaster. At the time, what was being shown was race 10/10 before the medal race, so I guess it was deemed more important than the men's 6/10 race.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back