Teams Atlanta Falcons - The Dirty Birds

Remove this Banner Ad

The post Superbowl part on the final episode made me proud to be a Falcon fan

Yes, even when they rip out my heart, I still love them

I jumped right onto FOotball Fanatics and bought a set of our new jerseys.

White Pitts
Red Ridley
Black Koo

White Pitts
Red Ridley
Black Koo
Yeah, they did a great job of that, making you love them for being who they are, proud to call them your team, a lovable franchise compared to many others.

White Pitts
Red Ridley
Black Koo

Pulling for Pitts to be the monster everyone thinks he will be.

Second Pitts with Philly/Atlanta ties after Mike Pitts who played for the Falcons in the 80s, and then was on the best defense in NFL history in Philly.

Report: Falcons cutting Cameron Nizialek after two shanked punts

Posted by Charean Williams on September 19, 2021, 8:29 PM EDT

The Falcons didn’t wait long to decide to move on from their punter.

Hopefully, they gave him a seat back to Atlanta before doing so.

The team will waive Cameron Nizialek this week, Jeff Schultz of TheAthletic.com reports.

Nizialek averaged 39.3 yards on four punts Sunday in the loss to the Bucs with two shanks.

In the first half, Nizialek had a 30-yard punt to the Tampa Bay 36. That one didn’t cost the Falcons as the Bucs fumbled it back to the Falcons. Nizialek’s second shank, though, proved very costly.

The Falcons had closed to within 28-25 with 11:01 remaining when Nizialek’s punt went only 33 yards to the Atlanta 43. Three plays later, the Bucs were in the end zone.

Matt Ryan saw Malcolm Jenkins creep up, decided to “let it rip” to Cordarelle Patterson

Posted by Mike Florio on November 7, 2021, 6:57 PM EST

It was deja vu all over again for Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan. Until it wasn’t.

After the Saints scored a late touchdown to take a 25-24 lead over Atlanta — wiping out a 24-6 fourth-quarter deficit — Ryan went to work in an effort to reverse the latest big lead blown by his franchise.

On the sideline, coach Arthur Smith gave Ryan the play, which included an opportunity to throw deep to receiver/running back Cordarelle Patterson.

“‘If you get an opportunity, let it rip,'” Smith told Ryan, as Ryan told PFT by phone after the 27-25 victory. “And we did. We got a one-on-one with Cordarrelle and he made a great play on the sidelines. Great call. Great effort by CP. Play we needed to make in order to win that game.”

Patterson made the play, but Ryan made the throw — and he made the decision to make the throw. He said he saw two safeties deep, which would have prompted Ryan to go elsewhere with the ball. At the snap, however, Ryan saw safety Malcolm Jenkins move into a “robber” look, where he would try to disrupt crossing routes aimed at chewing up less real estate.

“It’s just one of those things you see, you notice, and you try to take advantage of it,” Ryan said.

Ryan did, sending the ball to a single-covered speedster who made the play and put the Falcons in field-goal range.
It wasn’t quite that easy to finish the job. Ryan said his heart skipped a beat when he saw running back Mike Davis fumble the ball on the next play. Atlanta recovered, they made the field goal, and they’re now 4-4, only one game behind the 5-3 Saints.

“It’s huge,” Ryan said of the win. “If you want to make a push, you’ve got to win tough division road games. This is certainly one of those places that’s difficult to come into and get the job done. I think that’s going to bode well for our team moving forward.”

It gets no easier next week, when the Falcons face a Cowboys team that surely will be salty about the manner in which it was shut down at home against the Broncos. Another upset, however, will put the Falcons at 5-4 and in good position to chase down a wild-card berth.

Falcons activated DE Dante Fowler (knee) from injured reserve.
Fowler led the team in quarterback pressures, hits, and sacks prior to sustaining his knee injury before Atlanta's bye. He'll presumably return at full strength since he was activated the moment he became eligible to return.

Kyle Pitts has a chance at breaking Mike Ditka’s record for receiving yards by a rookie tight end

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 21, 2021, 12:28 PM EST

Falcons tight end Kyle Pitts has a chance to break a 60-year-old NFL record in the final three weeks of the season.

That record is the most receiving yards by a rookie tight end in a season, set by Chicago’s Mike Ditka in 1961. Ditka set the record with 1,076 receiving yards in 1961, and no one has come within even 100 yards of it in six decades since.

But Pitts is getting close. Through 14 games, Pitts has 847 receiving yards, which is already the fifth-most for a rookie tight end in NFL history. With three more games to go, Pitts is on pace to finish this season with 1,029 yards, which would move him into second place all time, behind only Ditka. If Pitts can pick up the pace just a little bit, he can break Ditka’s record.

It’s worth noting that Ditka set the record in a 14-game season, while Pitts is hoping to break it in 17 games. It’s also worth noting that Pitts is playing in an era that makes life easier for tight ends and receivers: This year NFL teams are averaging 231.8 passing yards per game; in 1961 NFL teams averaged 180.5 passing yards per game.

So Ditka’s rookie season remains the gold standard for rookie tight ends. But it speaks well for Pitts that he’s coming close to a record that has stood for so long.

Falcons hire Michael Pitre as their new running backs coach

Posted by Charean Williams on January 31, 2022, 8:10 PM EST

The Falcons have hired Michael Pitre as the team’s running backs coach.

Atlanta needed a new running backs coach after Desmond Kitchings left to become the offensive coordinator for Virginia.

Pitre arrives in Atlanta from Chicago, where he was a Bears assistant in 2021. Under Pitre, Chicago’s rushing attack averaged 118.7 yards per game and tallied 13 carries of 20-or-more yards.

Before his one season with the Bears, Pitre spent three years at Oregon State where he served as the running backs coach and recruiting coordinator.

From 2014-17, Pitre coached running backs at Montana State University.

Pitre, 37, got his start at the collegiate level working as a graduate assistant at the University of Colorado from 2012-13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back