Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you have 1 player who shows determination and the other seems to lack it.
McInnes has had fewer opportunities than Johnson, and when he is in the VFL, he has put in the effort and performed. Same cannot be said about Johnson.

I'd love to see Johnson back, and I hope he performs well in the backline. But, the way he is going concerns me.
Could be as simple as him being home sick, or just losing the hunger for the game.
I hope not, but something isn't right, because he isn't VFL standard at he moment.
His confidence is shot because of the relentless abuse he's copped online & at games.

Many had him as the walk-up start to replace McStay and have a big year, the disappointment in how that's worked out is entirely understandable.

That he is struggling to hold a mark or even get a kick in the VFL is bewildering, and might just prove career-ending if he can't turn it around.

The thing is, we all know he is so much better than his current form suggests, so you start to wonder what else is going on in his life or between his ears that is affecting his ability to such an extent.

AJ at his best has a lot to offer the team, I just hope for his sake he can find his way back to it quickly.
We all do. That's why the constant leap to defend AJ as though he is a fragile petal who should be held to a different standard is so irritating.

If true he is not mentally tough enough to play at the highest level. Plenty of players have copped far worse and been stars of the game. Toby Green comes to mind.
The club would know what they're doing. I'm sure they have more information than you & I about what's best for him.

Doubt Toby was racially abused online & at the ground and had to delete all his social media accounts, did he?

If true he is not mentally tough enough to play at the highest level. Plenty of players have copped far worse and been stars of the game. Toby Green comes to mind.
A bit old school Domie. Jesse Hogan wouldn't still be playing if that was still the attitude. Bobby Hill had a couple of games last year where you saw him lose confidence and drop his head - dropped his head again a few months later to have the Norm Smith medal hung around his neck.

A bit old school Domie. Jesse Hogan wouldn't still be playing if that was still the attitude. Bobby Hill had a couple of games last year where you saw him lose confidence and drop his head - dropped his head again a few months later to have the Norm Smith medal hung around his neck.
Not old school. I never said the abuse was justified or that the players should not get support and counselling. I stated a fact that some have the capacity to let it fall off their shoulders and not affect their performance whereas others are deeply affected. It's a cold reality for anyone in the public spotlight- some people are always going to hate you and be critical of your performance.

The club would know what they're doing. I'm sure they have more information than you & I about what's best for him.

Doubt Toby was racially abused online & at the ground and had to delete all his social media accounts, did he?
Plenty of non indigenous players have heinous comments directed at them. Milne was branded a rapist throughout his career. Cheer squads chanted this vile slur at games only a few metres from where he stood. I can't think of anything worse. And he received zero support from the AFL. Even a highly respected coach used that slur against him.

Today, indigenous players have the whole community and the AFL behind them so as horrible as any racial abuse may be it is isolated and regarded as disgusting and unacceptable by the whole community unlike the bad old days.

I think it's unfair to reference racial abuse as the most egregious abuse as it does diminish other slurs which to an individual player can be just as damaging and hurtful. Petty was in tears on the ground last year after some personal comments were made.

Plenty of non indigenous players have heinous comments directed at them. Milne was branded a rapist throughout his career. Cheer squads chanted this vile slur at games only a few metres from where he stood. I can't think of anything worse. And he received zero support from the AFL. Even a highly respected coach used that slur against him.

Today, indigenous players have the whole community and the AFL behind them so as horrible as any racial abuse may be it is isolated and regarded as disgusting and unacceptable by the whole community unlike the bad old days.

I think it's unfair to reference racial abuse as the most egregious abuse as it does diminish other slurs which to an individual player can be just as damaging and hurtful. Petty was in tears on the ground last year after some personal comments were made.
It's not a competition in who has been abused the worst, the most and who could 'handle' it 'better' than anyone else. No where have I said any abuse is acceptable. I pointed out what AJ's situation was, the type of abuse he's copped & how it's obviously affecting him.

Everyone is different & experience things differently. There is no right or wrong way.

The reality is we all know Ash is extremely talented. And we can all can see how his form has dropped off significantly this year. Without even knowing about the relentless abuse he has copped, most people can see that something else is going on.

And if he and the club believe playing footy with the VFL side & being around the club is the best thing for him whilst he works through it ..then so be it. And that seems to be what he's chosen to do. Good on him & I hope he starts enjoying footy again & regains some form & confidence. I'm sure it's what he would want more than anyone.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people struggling with issues who are playing footy & they are all dealing with it in their own ways. It doesn't make anyone better than anyone else because of how they choose to do it & how it affects them. We don't always know how people are affected.

Last edited:
Not old school. I never said the abuse was justified or that the players should not get support and counselling. I stated a fact that some have the capacity to let it fall off their shoulders and not affect their performance whereas others are deeply affected. It's a cold reality for anyone in the public spotlight- some people are always going to hate you and be critical of your performance.
Yeah really old school. All we know is that AJ is playing poorly and you're coming up with s**t about mental toughness. Just using the phrase makes you a dinosaur. Meanwhile you've seen him execute skills in high pressure situations in front of 90,000 people...

Yeah really old school. All we know is that AJ is playing poorly and you're coming up with s**t about mental toughness. Just using the phrase makes you a dinosaur. Meanwhile you've seen him execute skills in high pressure situations in front of 90,000 people...
Oh, stop it. What did I say that isn't true? Mental toughness is the ability to endure stress and negativity directed toward you. It's not a good or bad thing if you don't cope with bad times/abuse as easily as others. Some people don't need any counselling after experiencing the death of a loved one, others do or fall apart for a period of time. It's not right or wrong to react in a certain way but it does mean some people are more resilient than others. It is not an attack on AJ, just an observation based on his form and body language.

The fact that he can execute skills in front of 90K underlines my point. There are other players who repeatedly miss goals from dead in front in high pressure situations. Cloke comes to mind. Any number of players in the game have had reputations of being unreliable under pressure or failing to prove themselves on the big stage in finals. That's not a deliberate slur but an observation based on what people see on the footy field. What is failing to perform in finals if not a lack of mental toughness? It's certainly got nothing to do with physical fitness or ability so what else could it be? They say most of our game is played above the shoulders. Dermie talks about it all the time.

Stop trying to make something out of the issue that isn't there-AJ being indigenous. We are all talking about his output on the field. Nothing more.

So why do you think AJ is playing so poorly?

It's not a competition in who has been abused the worst, the most and who could 'handle' it 'better' than anyone else. No where have I said any abuse is acceptable. I pointed out what AJ's situation was, the type of abuse he's copped & how it's obviously affecting him.

Everyone is different & experience things differently. There is no right or wrong way.

The reality is we all know Ash is extremely talented. And we can all can see how his form has dropped off significantly this year. Without even knowing about the relentless abuse he has copped, most people can see that something else is going on.

And if he and the club believe playing footy with the VFL side & being around the club is the best thing for him whilst he works through it ..then so be it. And that seems to be what he's chosen to do. Good on him & I hope he starts enjoying footy again & regains some form & confidence. I'm sure it's what he would want more than anyone.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people struggling with issues who are playing footy & they are all dealing with it in their own ways. It doesn't make anyone better than anyone else because of how they choose to do it & how it affects them. We don't always know how people are affected.
I agree with everything you wrote. I'm confused. I simply said AJ is struggling and if it is due to the abuse he has copped then that is a mental issue which needs to be addressed if he is to recover the form he has shown in the past. It's not condoning the abuse. I gave an example of a player who copped hideous personal abuse for years with no support who still performed at a high level. That is a sign of great mental toughness. It doesn't make AJ a lesser person. It simply means he is less resilient than some. There are many indigenous players who have endured horrific racial abuse every week back in the bad old days who played brilliant footy in spite of the abuse. Nicky Winmar is an example as are the Krakouers. This would suggest they are mentally tougher than AJ.

I agree with everything you wrote. I'm confused. I simply said AJ is struggling and if it is due to the abuse he has copped then that is a mental issue which needs to be addressed if he is to recover the form he has shown in the past. It's not condoning the abuse. I gave an example of a player who copped hideous personal abuse for years with no support who still performed at a high level. That is a sign of great mental toughness. It doesn't make AJ a lesser person. It simply means he is less resilient than some. There are many indigenous players who have endured horrific racial abuse every week back in the bad old days who played brilliant footy in spite of the abuse. Nicky Winmar is an example as are the Krakouers. This would suggest they are mentally tougher than AJ.
Mentally tougher? It doesn't mean that at all. You have no clue how those people you mentioned dealt with their issues & how it may have affected them, their relationships, their health, their mental health & those closest to them 'at' the time. As for the Indigenous players you mentioned, they've since spoken extensively about how the abuse negatively affected their lives.

All we know is that in Ash's case it's currently affecting his confidence & we can see that in his footy. Yet he keeps putting himself out there every single week. I don't see anything weak or less resilient about that. Quite the contrary.

And I'm sure Jacqui Louder at the club is supporting Ash. Just like she has with many of the players who need support for any issues they are facing. That is after all, her role.

Last edited:

Nicky, Phil and Jimmy were left broken by the horrendous racial abuse they copped as Aboriginals. You will never know the issues, hurt and pain this caused them. Don’t try to guess what is going on in someone’s else’s mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicky, Phil and Jimmy were left broken by the horrendous racial abuse they copped as Aboriginals. You will never know the issues, hurt and pain this caused them. Don’t try to guess what is going on in someone’s else’s mind.
I copped a lot of racial abuse during my whole football career because of my ethnicity and the fact that I wasn't an australian, I can tell you that it resonates within you for the rest of your life, i can only imagine what an Indigenous player would go through

You should really avoid comparing people’s mental resilience. It’s norm referencing and has no place when talking about mental health.

I copped a lot of racial abuse during my whole football career because of my ethnicity and the fact that I wasn't an australian, I can tell you that it resonates within you for the rest of your life, i can only imagine what an Indigenous player would go through

So sorry that you had to experience that level of racism. Just horrific and unforgivable. As an Aboriginal player you copped it from the second you walked onto the ground. It was relentless. I was called 'halfa ' meaning 'half caste, b#$^g, n$^%#$, c#$n chocolate and they were the nice names. There were the usual comments about how you smell, the flies on you, where did you steal your boots from, how come you have two boots, did you find another one, how many cars you steal this week, have you ever worked a day, your a drunk, do you beat your sister, I would get 50 point bonus if I ran you over in a car, welfare bludger, how many grubs you had for brekkie, what’s it like having no family, how many kangaroos you f#%ck#% this week, where is your boomerang, is the government paying you to play with your dole cheque. I could go on and on. Then there were the ‘jokes’ like what do you call a Ab# with a Mercedes? What do you call a Ab# rolling down a hill, what do you call a Ab# with lice etc etc etc. They were the mild comments. I can't repeat what was said about my heritage, my mother, stolen generation references, my family. I had a rule on a footy field that I would not speak, not respond, not engage. Sometimes you would come off so angry and be hurting so much that you would almost be in tears, but I never gave anyone the pleasure of seeing that hurt. I usually found kicking a few more goals would shut them up. Would I do it differently now, by God I would. I would call it out every time, but as we are all moving forward and thank goodness Aboriginal people are learning that they do not have to experience such atrocities. Many of us older Aboriginals just copped it and that's why I tried to hide my identity as much as I could. People don’t know what Ash may have copped growing up and playing footy. Look after our players, don’t berate them to they break.

Last edited:
Ash came into the season with high hopes, lost form quickly in what was a totally rubbish team wide performance in the first couple of games of this season and has now lost confidence.

Then you get a bunch of "brave" flogs dog piling him with some totally vile abuse on the socials from alleged "supporters", which wouldn't help with that confidence.

To be frank I wouldn't be surprised if he was thinking of pulling the pin on our club after what has happened, but I hope he doesn't because he has talent and could still be very good for us if he can find that "happy place" again.

Last edited:
He’s got support around him at the moment after the hammering from all last week. The general consensus is that racism was present at the game and it was bad. Sydney and Collingwood involved.

Switching him to play defence only robs Peter to pay Paul. Maybe he could learn some more ruck craft but his priority should be on wellbeing first, then on developing forward craft.
At the moment, Peter is broke

Thank you to the posters who provide some insight into being on the receiving end of racsism, and to those posters who acknowledge it exists and the impacts it has.

We have not 'moved on' from racism, as some have stated or implied on here. It is still very much with us, and its impact is staring us in the face with AJ and his struggles.

And to those who say he should be mentally tougher in dealing with it - how about criticising the perpetrators of the racism, not the recipients and victims?

Mentally tougher? It doesn't mean that at all. You have no clue how those people you mentioned dealt with their issues & how it may have affected them, their relationships, their health, their mental health & those closest to them 'at' the time. As for the Indigenous players you mentioned, they've since spoken extensively about how the abuse negatively affected their lives.

All we know is that in Ash's case it's currently affecting his confidence & we can see that in his footy. Yet he keeps putting himself out there every single week. I don't see anything weak or less resilient about that. Quite the contrary.

And I'm sure Jacqui Louder at the club is supporting Ash. Just like she has with many of the players who need support for any issues they are facing. That is after all, her role.
I do know how they coped on the footy field which is all I'm talking about. It's ridiculous to suddenly pretend mental strength (toughness) is not a quality players have or don't have because mental health awareness is so much better than it once was.

I'm glad Jacqui is there to support any player who needs her. But her role suggests the mental side of the game is important. Some players get dragged and shrug it off, determined to prove the coach wrong the next opportunity they get. Others are angry or disconsolate. That's all related to mental resilience. It's not good or bad, right or wrong.

I was not a mentally resilient footballer. I would have been seeking Jacqui's support on a regular basis .

I won't pretend the aforementioned quality is now a taboo subject. It's nonsense as is any suggestion of racial undertones in what I've written.

I abhor racist behaviour. I've never once engaged in it on or off the footy field which is more than a lot of well paid high profile former players in our media can say, including our revered premiership captain.

So sorry that you had to experience that level of racism. Just horrific and unforgivable. As an Aboriginal player you copped it from the second you walked onto the ground. It was relentless. I was called 'halfa ' meaning 'half caste, b#$^g, n$^%#$, c#$n chocolate and they were the nice names. There were the usual comments about how you smell, the flies on you, where did you steal your boots from, how come you have two boots, did you find another one, how many cars you steal this week, have you ever worked a day, your a drunk, do you beat your sister, I would get 50 point bonus if I ran you over in a car, welfare bludger, how many grubs you had for brekkie, what’s it like having no family, how many kangaroos you f#%ck#% this week, where is your boomerang, is the government paying you to play with your dole cheque. I could go on and on. Then there were the ‘jokes’ like what do you call a Ab# with a Mercedes? What do you call a Ab# rolling down a hill, what do you call a Ab# with lice etc etc etc. They were the mild comments. I can't repeat what was said about my heritage, my mother, stolen generation references, my family. I had a rule on a footy field that I would not speak, not respond, not engage. Sometimes you would come off so angry and be hurting so much that you would almost be in tears, but I never gave anyone the pleasure of seeing that hurt. I usually found kicking a few more goals would shut them up. Would I do it differently now, by God I would. I would call it out every time, but as we are all moving forward and thank goodness Aboriginal people are learning that they do not have to experience such atrocities. Many of us older Aboriginals just copped it and that's why I tried to hide my identity as much as I could. People don’t know what Ash may have copped growing up and playing footy. Look after our players, don’t berate them to they break.

Thanks for the honesty and the courage to say it all. I'm so sorry that the people of my generation perpetuated these experiences on you and your family (and I suspect all of the first australians of that time). Hopefully my grand children and GGC can be better than we were.

Thank you to the posters who provide some insight into being on the receiving end of racsism, and to those posters who acknowledge it exists and the impacts it has.

We have not 'moved on' from racism, as some have stated or implied on here. It is still very much with us, and its impact is staring us in the face with AJ and his struggles.

And to those who say he should be mentally tougher in dealing with it - how about criticising the perpetrators of the racism, not the recipients and victims?
I have condemned those sick morons. I should be able to make an observation about AJs on field form and attribute it to his mental state ( as he is injury free) without being accused of insensitivity or worse.

If conjecture on a player's poor form is now forbidden then I hope it is applied across the board and not just to some individuals.

I loved our recruitment of AJ and was so happy when he played his first game and the whole story of how far his mum travelled to watch him. I was looking forward to a big year from him as were most on this forum.

I do know how they coped on the footy field which is all I'm talking about. It's ridiculous to suddenly pretend mental strength (toughness) is not a quality players have or don't have because mental health awareness is so much better than it once was.

I'm glad Jacqui is there to support any player who needs her. But her role suggests the mental side of the game is important. Some players get dragged and shrug it off, determined to prove the coach wrong the next opportunity they get. Others are angry or disconsolate. That's all related to mental resilience. It's not good or bad, right or wrong.

I was not a mentally resilient footballer. I would have been seeking Jacqui's support on a regular basis .

I won't pretend the aforementioned quality is now a taboo subject. It's nonsense as is any suggestion of racial undertones in what I've written.

I abhor racist behaviour. I've never once engaged in it on or off the footy field which is more than a lot of well paid high profile former players in our media can say, including our revered premiership captain.
It’s not about you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back