Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Look what happened to Goodes when he spoke out.

Even Betts. He's spoken out more since he's finished football & the things said about him since have been horrendous. The racists much preferred Eddie when he didn't speak out.
I believe they also cop it from within their own communities sometimes. You can certainly understand the hesitation

Well said mate. It's even starting to creep in to names like Sidebottom, it's shameful. When I see Sidey, I still see his 60m kick in the last Q and how it pretty much won us the game. He is struggling atm but to write him off you have to have a short memory. To call them useless is just nasty
I agree. Personal attacks make me sick but criticism of footy performance is fine be it negative or positive.

I agree. Personal attacks make me sick but criticism of footy performance is fine be it negative or positive.
It's just that we've had an indifferent start to the season that people are freaking out a bit. To me, last years memory is still alive and well and I also think our veterans will be an integral part of our resurgence this year. We really aren't going as bad as some think

I believe they also cop it from within their own communities sometimes. You can certainly understand the hesitation
Robbie Muir said the first time he was called a black bastard was by his aboriginal father, often overlooked is racism can result in self loathing, something it appears his father suffered from.

Robbie Muir said the first time he was called a black bastard was by his aboriginal father, often overlooked is racism can result in self loathing, something it appears his father suffered from.
Racism has tentacles and it reaches and drags in families and friends. It's just a really s**t feeling

I taught in PNG for 2 years. The coastal Papuans have little time (that's the polite version) for the much darker skinned Highlanders and use quite derogatory terms when describing their countrymen from Buka and Bougainville whose skin colour happens to be blacker than black.

I taught in PNG for 2 years. The coastal Papuans have little time (that's the polite version) for the much darker skinned Highlanders and use quite derogatory terms when describing their countrymen from Buka and Bougainville whose skin colour happens to be blacker than black.
You know, when you really peel down the layers, it's just the colour of a person's skin or that they might look a little bit different to everyone else. It's just stupid really. I think parts of India have a similar situation depending on how dark you are

You know, when you really peel down the layers, it's just the colour of a person's skin or that they might look a little bit different to everyone else. It's just stupid really. I think parts of India have a similar situation depending on how dark you are
There was a kid from Buka (delightful youngster) at the school I taught at. One day while playing basketball on the outside concrete court he tripped and grazed his knee. Beneath the thinest layer of skin his flesh was the same pink colour as ours and his blood just as red.

There was a kid from Buka (delightful youngster) at the school I taught at. One day while playing basketball on the outside concrete court he tripped and grazed his knee. Beneath the thinest layer of skin his flesh was the same pink colour as ours and his blood just as red.
You nailed it. Colour or ethnicity has always fascinated the wrong people. People are dying and suffering all over the world because of it. It's just crazy if you sit back and have a good think about it

Where's Buka?

Spot on. It’s just difference of some sort whether skin colour, red hair, eating with the left hand, different clothing etc.etc. Personally I really wish we’d put the idea of race to bed forever. It’s a pseudo-scientific label that originated at the time eugenics was a popular concept and got a foothold when imported by some idiot from England to America. Discrimination has of course been around since humans arrived on the scene. Maybe we should have the results of genetic heritage put on every birth certificate. Would be an eye opener for many. At least then we could call it out for what it is, discrimination, based on ignorance, fear, entitlement etc.

Spot on. It’s just difference of some sort whether skin colour, red hair, eating with the left hand, different clothing etc.etc. Personally I really wish we’d put the idea of race to bed forever. It’s a pseudo-scientific label that originated at the time eugenics was a popular concept and got a foothold when imported by some idiot from England to America. Discrimination has of course been around since humans arrived on the scene. Maybe we should have the results of genetic heritage put on every birth certificate. Would be an eye opener for many. At least then we could call it out for what it is, discrimination, based on ignorance, fear, entitlement etc.
Thanks for that, you can put it into words much better than me. It's the shallowness and stupidity of the whole thing that makes it just plain crazy and gives a foothold for crazies to cause mayhem for innocent people

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that, you can put it into words much better than me. It's the shallowness and stupidity of the whole thing that makes it just plain crazy and gives a foothold for crazies to cause mayhem for innocent people
I think the personal stories such as yours and others are far more powerful than anything I’ve said. We also have to bear in mind that the stupidity of it tends to come from those who’ve unfortunately been indoctrinated, conditioned, taught certain things. Seems to be inherent in most cult-ures and many organisations. I’m still learning and trying to uncover my own indoctrinations and conditioning which are definitely present and get revealed in certain contexts/situations. Some will be obvious this week when we take on the Blues😜.

I find interesting with the pile on with AJ yet Reef who was very highly thought of, was a early draft pick and has had more time at the club he gets away with very little criticism despite being just as poor as AJ even more so when you consider Aj was a mid season draft pick and Reef was first Rd. Just wanted to put it out there as reef seems to get a charmed run on bf.

I like the idea of trying AJ down back. With his athleticism I can see him being that disruptive third player up killing the contest. He’s got the skills and the kicking to do a great job but does he have the mindset, that’s the big question, honestly I don’t know. Maybe he’ll be one of those players who should make it but doesn’t. Not the first and won’t be the last of those.
I think Reef is perceived as not being given a fair run at it in the seniors where he is often the sub or given one game before being dropped.

The other is his tackling and general willingness to chase and make a contest whenever he is near the pill.

AJs second efforts and defensive pressure is often non existent and this is what makes supporters frustrated. We can accept an average game but the appearance of not having a red hot crack always upsets fans.

This thread topic needs to come back to talking about football and how Ash Johnson is travelling .

Heartwarming albeit self indulgent anecdotes about grazed knees in PNG don’t belong here.

Good to see he was much better yesterday. Hopefully a sign of things to come.
I thought he looked really fit yesterday and quite athletic. I tried to watch him closely and he moves really well. I also noticed that contrary to what some say, he always looked happy and was encouraging his team mates at every opportunity. The big thing I noticed, is that he plays from behind a lot. He just needs to put himself at the front of contests and he will get more attention from the umps, like Curnow. AJ is far from a writeoff and is a break out game away from finding some really good form

I thought he looked really fit yesterday and quite athletic. I tried to watch him closely and he moves really well. I also noticed that contrary to what some say, he always looked happy and was encouraging his team mates at every opportunity. The big thing I noticed, is that he plays from behind a lot. He just needs to put himself at the front of contests and he will get more attention from the umps, like Curnow. AJ is far from a writeoff and is a break out game away from finding some really good form
Yes that’s what I think too.

All this racism talk is just a massive overreaction from the reality…. People are just assuming it happened. He’s happy at the club and hasn’t suffered much if any abuse from social media or otherwise. Can’t ever say none because there’s always one idiot….

As for his footy yes needs to play from the front and side as well as the back. Relies so much on marking on the fly that it’s hard to retrain the brain. Once he gets that right and understands he doesn’t have to take mark of the day every time and sometimes just bringing the ball to ground will do the trick… then we have something exciting to work with.

Big steps for him. He had 4 touches last week for the whole game, 2 inside the first minute this week. Looked a lot more involved and as you said, looked to be enjoying it. We all know he’s got talent, a few weeks like that and who knows. Get his confidence back. We all know what his best footy is like.

Big steps for him. He had 4 touches last week for the whole game, 2 inside the first minute this week. Looked a lot more involved and as you said, looked to be enjoying it. We all know he’s got talent, a few weeks like that and who knows. Get his confidence back. We all know what his best footy is like.
He came to the AFL late and is a chilled, easygoing dude. All his football days in the lesser leagues he would have been the same and was probably easily jumping over blokes and kicking goals for fun. It's just confidence. Remember his first few games when he was kicking them from the boundry and looking really confident?, he has lost that confidence somehow. It doesn't appear to be fitness as many say, he gets around quits well. It's as you said, his brain is wired to play a certain way and he is struggling with it. All things that can be fixed

We've tried to use him as a full forward out of necessity, but they need to play him in another role. Despite the tricks he's not good enough in a marking contest. He needs to be higher up the ground hitting up and then turning his man in the race back to 50, but might not be fit enough for that.

We've tried to use him as a full forward out of necessity, but they need to play him in another role. Despite the tricks he's not good enough in a marking contest. He needs to be higher up the ground hitting up and then turning his man in the race back to 50, but might not be fit enough for that.
If he could hold his ground at the front of the marking contests he would at least be able to bring the ball to ground. I think he is fit enough to play a bit higher but it's just not in his natural game. Sometimes it's obvious when a player hasn't had the opportunity to go through good talent pathways as a junior. AJ would have really benefited from that. Can he break the lower league mindset of sitting back and jumping over blokes?, that's what he needs to change

Reef and Johnson are not KPF’s, but due to our lack of any KPF are expected to play much bigger and taller than they are. They aren’t contested 1 v 1 beasts, they are 3rd talls, just like Henry. Difference is he gets to play like one with Hawkins and Cameron etc.

I mean, poor Johnson has had to ruck ffs. They’d benefit with some tall support

Remove this Banner Ad

Back