April Punting Thread - Sydney is racing on a good track - April Fools

Remove this Banner Ad

Timeform have already done the ratings for the race, this is where Pride Of Jenni sits in terms of other mares this century.

Australian mares this century by Timeform rating:

Black Caviar: 136
Winx: 134
Makybe Diva: 129
Sunline: 129
Pride Of Jenni: 129
Completely laughable. Pride of Jenni will get destroyed by any decent group 200m horse from Japan or Europe. In fact she got beaten by a group 3 Euro reject 2 starts ago over the same distance. I am not bagging her win, its probably the best race i have ever seen in 45 years of close watching, but She is just a good ordinary Aussie WFA horse who met very ordinary opposition besides Via Sistina who was given zero chance by the jockey.

Completely laughable. Pride of Jenni will get destroyed by any decent group 200m horse from Japan or Europe. In fact she got beaten by a group 3 Euro reject 2 starts ago over the same distance. I am not bagging her win, its probably the best race i have ever seen in 45 years of close watching, but She is just a good ordinary Aussie WFA horse who met very ordinary opposition besides Via Sistina who was given zero chance by the jockey.

I know that. Listen here, I may live in Australia and love Australian racing but I appreciate world racing too. I know too well that Australian racing at 1600m+ is not strong depthwise/quality in numbers for at least 10 to 12 years. 1600m+ racing is the best in the world in Europe, 2nd is Japan. Australian racing is a speed nation = sprinting. It's sad....I remember the 1990s to the early to mid 2000s up to about 2010....much better racing (1600m+) than it has been for the past 10 to 12 years.

So yes I agree with you. But basing the Timeform rating in terms if performance for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes win...the high figure (129) is justified. It looked visually also. But let's see if Pride Of Jenni can produce those ratings on a consistent basis....

I see on social media people are calling her a champion. She's a good horse but a champion = no not yet. 3 G1 wins doesn't warrant any horse a champion.

I know that. Listen here, I may live in Australia and love Australian racing but I appreciate world racing too. I know too well that Australian racing at 1600m+ is not strong depthwise/quality in numbers for at least 10 to 12 years. 1600m+ racing is the best in the world in Europe, 2nd is Japan. Australian racing is a speed nation = sprinting. It's sad....I remember the 1990s to the early to mid 2000s up to about 2010....much better racing (1600m+) than it has been for the past 10 to 12 years.

So yes I agree with you. But basing the Timeform rating in terms if performance for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes win...the high figure (129) is justified. It looked visually also. But let's see if Pride Of Jenni can produce those ratings on a consistent basis....

I see on social media people are calling her a champion. She's a good horse but a champion = no not yet. 3 G1 wins doesn't warrant any horse a champion.
The way the breeding industry is poisoning our sprinting bloodlines right now i dont have any faith in the sprinters being good in a few years either. Already a few Kiwis have come and plundered our major sprints. Now that Imperatriz has retired our sprinters are total poo too

Jenni is the most exciting galloper since Northerly since she came good last spring.

Not Winx or Caviar or any them would me me want to go watch them run, but a fast rolling tough on pacer i would go see.

That was a champion run yesterday (even if she is not one).

Jenni is the most exciting galloper since Northerly since she came good last spring.

Not Winx or Caviar or any them would me me want to go watch them run, but a fast rolling tough on pacer i would go see.

That was a champion run yesterday (even if she is not one).
I agree with exciting. Cant wait to see her race again, just not sure she will win more than 50 percent of her runs. She is also 6 now, 7 when the Cox plate is run. She hasnt got long to go racing.

The way the breeding industry is poisoning our sprinting bloodlines right now i dont have any faith in the sprinters being good in a few years either. Already a few Kiwis have come and plundered our major sprints. Now that Imperatriz has retired our sprinters are total poo too

Even as good as Winx was, she didn't face world class opposition. Not her fault. She should of travelled. But her trainer and owners chose not to. Instead they chose to get cheaps wins and prize money in the comforts of home country. Again not Winx's fault, that's on her owners and trainer.

Sprinters - I am convinced this sprinting era/period in Australian racing isn't as strong collectively the past few years (4 or 5) in terms of depth/quality in numbers as previous sprinting periods in Australia.

Last edited:
there's probably a decent error bar on that rating because she eased off in the final 100m. hard to tell if that's because there was nothing left in the tank or if she could have gone even faster with a bit of a push (no idea if timeform factor this into their ratings but just looking visually).

there's probably a decent error bar on that rating because she eased off in the final 100m. hard to tell if that's because there was nothing left in the tank or if she could have gone even faster with a bit of a push (no idea if timeform factor this into their ratings but just looking visually).

Safe to say there was no extra gear the last 100m. Wasn't really eased down, just stopped throwing the kitchen sink at a horse walking cos there was no point

I agree with exciting. Cant wait to see her race again, just not sure she will win more than 50 percent of her runs. She is also 6 now, 7 when the Cox plate is run. She hasnt got long to go racing.

So You Think (who seems to be forgotton regularly) would of been in a better position to beat Pride Of Jenni. He was more of a stayer so he would of been able to handle the pressure the whole way. Unlike Winx who would be coming from behind, So You Think would of been on pace.

But both Winx and So You Think had different engines - bigger and better engines to what Pride Of Jenni faced in that Queen Elizabeth Stakes field.

So You Think (who seems to be forgotton regularly) would of been in a better position to beat Pride Of Jenni. He was more of a stayer so he would of been able to handle the pressure the whole way. Unlike Winx who would be coming from behind, So You Think would of been on pace.

But both Winx and So You Think had different engines - bigger and better engines to what Pride Of Jenni faced in that Queen Elizabeth Stakes field.
So You Think would have beaten her by 6 lengths and i dont think i am exaggerating. He had a high cruising speed so would probably have been 10 lengths closer and would have been much stronger at the line. But he also would have dragged up the others so horses like Via Sistina would have beaten Jenni too, Apparently VS ran its last 600 in 33 seconds.... what a waste of a ride

So You Think would have beaten her by 6 lengths and i dont think i am exaggerating. He had a high cruising speed so would probably have been 10 lengths closer and would have been much stronger at the line. But he also would have dragged up the others so horses like Via Sistina would have beaten Jenni too, Apparently VS ran its last 600 in 33 seconds.... what a waste of a ride

Will be interesting going forward now for future races if Pride Of Jenni does this consistently.

There is only one constant metric in racing, and that is the time a horse can run over a certain distance.
Maher is ahead of the game in Australia with the technology he uses in training to track his horses, and what races to place them in. They new what time she would run the 2000m in at her sustained speed, and that in all likelihood the others couldn't. Good on him, and well done Jenni. I just hope this campaign hasn't cooked her for the spring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"
There is only one constant metric in racing, and that is the time a horse can run over a certain distance.
Maher is ahead of the game in Australia with the technology he uses in training to track his horses, and what races to place them in. They new what time she would run the 2000m in at her sustained speed, and that in all likelihood the others couldn't. Good on him, and well done Jenni. I just hope this campaign hasn't cooked her for the spring.
The trainers seem to copy the best trainers methods and there are very few innovators I reckon. Gai is probably one of the few exemptions, you could almost bet her horses will jump to the front in almost any race.

Now days most horses are taught to sit and sprint, and leaders run "where they are comfortable". What this does means that the races are run slowly and horses with the best sprint win. What I loved about Jenni is she took all those horses out of their comfort zones and stole a group 1. I do not understand why these tactics are not used more. The leader might not always win but it will give itself a better chance of winning by taking out a lot of the weaker horses who won't be able to finish off.

The times of the chasing pack are absolutely embarrassing for a field of G1 jockeys. Jenni went fast obviously but the main factor for the huge gap was just how slow they went in behind her

This article confirms what you're saying.

Literally nothing alleged about the racing industry lol

Always find these stories pretty meh anyway. So long as there is no cruelty involved who actually gives a s**t. Where do you think meat products come from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back