April Punting Thread - Sydney is racing on a good track - April Fools

Remove this Banner Ad

Real mixed emotions there. Love seeing them win like that even if you aren't on them but ffs give every other jockey in the race a stint on the sidelines. You don't let anything get 30 lengths in front in a G1, nevermind a second favourite
Yeah as Sunline's #1 fan I love those wins.

But that was unprecedented in a top race like that I recon. It was like there was a race within a race and Mr B had the lead but didn't care for it too much.

As for the jockeys, were they just too scared of spending petrol (and coming near last) being the one to try and chase early and just racing for place prizemoney?

It was bizzare

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if jockeys/trainers here will take any lessons from the two features today. Jockey on Circle of Fire could’ve snagged back, overraced and found cover back in the field somewhere. Instead rolled along 3 wide, got the horse comfortable and settled much closer to the speed.

Not many horses could do what Jenni did to be fair, but too often jockeys who get the lead try and then slow the speed as much as possible. Sure that works if your horse has got a good sprint on it. But more often than not the best way to take advantage of being in front is to have the rest of the field under pressure as well. It’s a lot harder for a back marker to make up 6 lengths on the turn when they’ve been gasping for air since the 800.

Jenni’s win was as good as racing gets though. Has made herself the most popular horse in the country and can imagine the roar at the valley when she tries to do it in the cox plate.

Just saw the Pride of Jenni win. Astonishingly brilliant!

Kudos needs to go to not only the jockey but also the cameraman who did a fantastic job of keeping the whole field in the one frame shot when Jenni jumped 30 or so lengths in front.

Obviously the rest of the jockeys didn’t want to be the one to use their horse as the scapegoat dragging the rest of the field into it so decided to fight it out for second instead.

Don’t understand why no one bothered to take off with her and just sit behind in the slipstream conserving some energy (from the vision it seems Williams thought about it for a second but than sat back). That would have been their best chance.

It's the smallest the horses have appeared on the screen in all my time watching racing
Watching a replay of Secretariate in the Belmont is the only other time I remember seeing a horse that far in front approaching the turn. Half expected the race caller at one point to say "she's moving like a tremendous machine"

Timeform have already done the ratings for the race, this is where Pride Of Jenni sits in terms of other mares this century.

Australian mares this century by Timeform rating:

Black Caviar: 136
Winx: 134
Makybe Diva: 129
Sunline: 129
Pride Of Jenni: 129

Remove this Banner Ad

Back