Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

More votes in kicking the unemployed (and unemployable) than in helping them.

And it ******* sucks when the system is designed to have at least a certain number unemployed.

For most voters it's "When I receive a payment I deserve it, when someone else receivers it they're a bludger".

The Coalition don't give a heck about helping the poor and Labor are too scared to risk being wedged by the media pile on if they did and the Greens shoot themselves in the foot.

Also want to know the even suckier part? The age pension isn't even good.
Labor also don't care
Don't kid yourself

More votes in kicking the unemployed (and unemployable) than in helping them.

And it ******* sucks when the system is designed to have at least a certain number unemployed.

For most voters it's "When I receive a payment I deserve it, when someone else receivers it they're a bludger".

The Coalition don't give a heck about helping the poor and Labor are too scared to risk being wedged by the media pile on if they did and the Greens shoot themselves in the foot.

Also want to know the even suckier part? The age pension isn't even good.
Labour doesn't care either, they have already worked out they get those votes anyway (mostly) so why spend money on them.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not means testing the $300 energy payment is pretty laughable.
It should be means tested and limited to Australian citizens only but that would require Canberra crats and consultants to get involved so we wouldn't get it for years and it would end up costing ten times as much.

The advertising campaign for it is going to cost a fortune for it already.

It should be means tested and limited to Australian citizens only but that would require Canberra crats and consultants to get involved so we wouldn't get it for years and it would end up costing ten times as much.

The advertising campaign for it is going to cost a fortune for it already.

Why only Australian Citizens? Why not permanent residence?

Have a look at the language here on the Australian website. If I tried this in Year 10 English, the teacher would have said I'd gone over the top and it was repetitive and predictable.

The word Splash features, "wiped", "danger" "gloom" "out in the cold", "strivers and schemers"

No wonder the old people who read this stuff ring in to talkback and think they know what they're talking about. It's just a full-frontal attack of very predictable responses. The $300 energy rebate is very small potatoes compared to the tax cuts which are now not so disproportionately aimed at Australian readers.

1715727994747.png

Have a look at the language here on the Australian website. If I tried this in Year 10 English, the teacher would have said I'd gone over the top and it was repetitive and predictable.

The word Splash features, "wiped", "danger" "gloom" "out in the cold", "strivers and schemers"

No wonder the old people who read this stuff ring in to talkback and think they know what they're talking about. It's just a full-frontal attack of very predictable responses. The $300 energy rebate is very small potatoes compared to the tax cuts which are now not so disproportionately aimed at Australian readers.

View attachment 1989364

To be fair, to write for a newspaper or draft a media release, you need to unlearn everything you were taught about writing in late high school.

Champions of capitalism never get tired of putting their hands out for taxpayer money, do they?

View attachment 1988698
On the local front, the Federal Budget will put the miners in focus today after it was confirmed that $24 billion will be given to the sector over the next decade. Look out for names like Fortescue (ASX: FMG), Mineral Resources (ASX: MIN), IGO (ASX: IGO), Pilbara Minerals (ASX: PLS), Liontown Resources (ASX: LTR), the uranium miners, and even conglomerates like Wesfarmers (ASX: WES) who have exposure to this megatrend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Means testing is crap I agree
Give everyone access and move on

Means testing generally costs more than the supposed savings and frequently excludes people that actually need it
I don't buy that for a second... It's not like the money is going directly to tax payers anyway. It would be quite simple to do a high level calculation by region and means test the payment based on gross income. I don't need a $300 reduction in my power bill and I would much rather see that money put to better use.

It's political pragmatism dressed up as equality.

Labor also don't care
Don't kid yourself
The Greens don't give a shit either, nor do the Teals, don't kid yourself.

Now would you like to discuss the crux of my post about how Unemployment is built into the system and that the Aged pension itself is inadequate? Or are we to continue to cynically discuss the values of the modern political parties.

I'd love to see the job ready graduate scheme binned, that would do more than any tinkering around the edges of HECS debt can.
I think the changes to HECS are appropriate (your debt shouldn't be able to increase above what it originally was). But for the government to say that it's assisting with the cost of living is just absolute garbage. People will still be paying the same amount based on their income, they'll just finish paying it off sooner than they otherwise would have.

I think the changes to HECS are appropriate (your debt shouldn't be able to increase above what it originally was). But for the government to say that it's assisting with the cost of living is just absolute garbage. People will still be paying the same amount based on their income, they'll just finish paying it off sooner than they otherwise would have.
The Job Ready Graduate program is the political equivalent of the herp deep Arts graduate argument. Doubling the cost of those sort of degrees because you don't like the sort of person it produces is pure political bastardry.

View attachment 1989364
I read the central article from the screenshot and the analysis given by their experts actually seems pretty reasonable. Some balanced takes there and very little hysterics.

I'm sure that ****wit Terry McCrann will be losing his mind in the Herald Sun today though. Should be a fun read.

I read the central article from the screenshot and the analysis given by their experts actually seems pretty reasonable. Some balanced takes there and very little hysterics.

I'm sure that ******* Terry McCrann will be losing his mind in the Herald Sun today though. Should be a fun read.
Like the NT front page. The headlines are written that way for a reason. We all probably like to think it's because of Murdoch and Costello wanting to sway readers.

But in reality, it's rage clicks. The more ragey the headline, the more likely somebody (who already agrees and is angry about it) is to click on that and read about how right they, and the Australian are, about what a shambles the ALP are.

The editors know that nuance and balance don't get rage clicks. And clicks is the currency. Walkleys and journalistic integrity don't pay subscriptions.

Looking at the response it seems to be a good budget politically if the thing people are zeroing in on is the lack of means testing on a $300 rebate. I suspect the reply speech will heavily focus on nuclear energy and not much else.

Looking at the response it seems to be a good budget politically if the thing people are zeroing in on is the lack of means testing on a $300 rebate. I suspect the reply speech will heavily focus on nuclear energy and not much else.
There's a bit more to it than just the means testing component. Chalmers completely failed to articulate on 7.30 last night how effectively putting more money in people's pockets can be counter-inflationary.

While the points she was making were valid, the attacking interview style of Sarah Ferguson is very unpleasant as a viewer. Leave that kind of cr@p to the shock jocks... The ABC should be setting a better example than that.

Yeah, I would describe it as "aggressively fine". Yes, there is more that could be done and more that could be focused on other areas but nothing seems needless as well. Too many major changes and the entire nation would freak out and the media would batter Labor pillar to post.

Australia requires slow, incremental change from government and policy. That takes time and some are impatient

There's a bit more to it than just the means testing component. Chalmers completely failed to articulate on 7.30 last night how effectively putting more money in people's pockets can be counter-inflationary.

While the points she was making were valid, the attacking interview style of Sarah Ferguson is very unpleasant as a viewer. Leave that kind of cr@p to the shock jocks... The ABC should be setting a better example than that.

I think the expectation on the rebate is that, with consumer confidence so low, people are more likely to bank any savings generated by the rebate as opposed to spending it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back