Oppo Camp An old video you North types might like...

Remove this Banner Ad

So for those of you that know me a bit, my old man is a proud and long suffering Tiger. Of course this has led to a lifetime of mirth for me and this particular game looms very, very large in his 'nightmare file'.

It was Round 2, 1990. Players the ilk of Carey, Longmire, Scholl and Schwass were babies in the AFL system at this point, but were of course destined for much greater things. The Tigs were on a then seven year long streak of no finals- and no doubt they were all telling us pre-season that 1990 was the year of the Tiger. But the reality was that in 1990, they had Knights, Jess, an old David Cloke...and not much else really.

Still, in true Tigs fashion, my father went along to this game very optimistic. They'd even beaten North in 1989, apparently.

What unfolded...set records. It was North's greatest winning margin and still is to this day. It was North's highest score to that point, although that record only stood for three years. And it stood as Richmond's greatest loss until Geelong smashed the record in 2007.

I may be a Don and most of you probably think my club is muck, but I came across this vid and ended up watching all 65 minutes of it- mainly because I imagined my dad sitting through the spectacle with a mix of horror and hope that instead, 1991 would be the year of the Tigs.

Enjoy, and not too much luck tomorrow.

What do you mean us north types?
I meant nothing by it. I meant North supporters.

Just me and my clumsy terminology.

Imagine a 19 year old Sam Durdin kicking 12 this weekend and following up with 14 later on in the year.
Yeah, pretty insane. Injury cruelled Horse, not that he didn't carve out a handy career as is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will need to get off this phone and watch it on a bigger screen.

This was the game where I got shitfaced as told to the late IUB.

Drunkest ever at footy.

I am somewhere on the old Sth Stand side about 6 rows back on the wing.

I think...it was 26 years ago.

Ffs.
This was the first game I reckon I got on the piss at the footy properly.

Been going with the same blokes ever since. God knows how much money has been spent on beer ay the footy in the 26 years since.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

22 kicks, 1 handball, 18 marks and 12 goals 5 behinds.

Champion Data's laptops would explode with those numbers.
In all seriousness...as Arden said, if a 19 year old had a performance like that today, can you imagine the media superlatives?

I saw Lloyd live kick 13 against Sydney when he'd just turned 21, and that was absolutely amazing. But I reckon the footy superlatives had started to take off in earnest in the 1990s and he certainly did get plenty of praise after that.

Even allowing for Richmond's crapolaness, Horse's performance was still amazing.

Anyone here see him kick the 14 bag against the Dees later in 1990? Criminal that he didn't manage 100 that year.

Jeez. Some memories there. Went to both those games. Peter McKenna comment on Carey 1st q. " l reckon he'll be a player this guy "

Someone l'd forgotten about, the bloke who led the cheer squad mid 70's last q. in the blue jumper.

Phew.

Noted the crowd at this game was only 18k. Richmond jokes aside, it's hard to imagine a Richmond/North game only getting 18k today.

We won't have to imagine for long Doss as our next game against them is a Friday night game in Hobart.

Great memories in the vid and thanks for posting it. You must've seen your old man going through all kinds of hell over the years, with a smile from ear to ear on your dial throughout no doubt.

I loved the era. Our superstar U19's coming of age gradually.

In all seriousness...as Arden said, if a 19 year old had a performance like that today, can you imagine the media superlatives?

I saw Lloyd live kick 13 against Sydney when he'd just turned 21, and that was absolutely amazing. But I reckon the footy superlatives had started to take off in earnest in the 1990s and he certainly did get plenty of praise after that.

Even allowing for Richmond's crapolaness, Horse's performance was still amazing.

Anyone here see him kick the 14 bag against the Dees later in 1990? Criminal that he didn't manage 100 that year.

I saw the 14 it was amazing watching this young kid, what could have been without a couple of knee operations.

anyway back to the Richmond game, I remember that night, I got to the game when scores were 2.1 to 1.0 and was listening to the game as I parked, between parking the car and getting into the game we kick another 5 goals, the score was 7 goals to 1, a very relaxing evening at the footy from there on. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back