All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

There is devastation all over the world ATM but we only hear about the things that they want us to hear about.
I think it's more the things that Australians feel a connection to - countries that we know a bit about that dictates the coverage. So traditionally Africa and South and Central America have been a black hole for coverage - outside the white guys we played cricket against.

But Australia now has a significant connection to South Sudan, so I thought it'd be beginning to appear on the media radar.

To be fair, posters in this thread have complained about the lack of coverage the war in Israel/Gaza received compared to Ukraine in its early days. I've seen people enraged about the coverage of (or lack there of) of Yemen at the time Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022. When we talk about agendas a legitimate response is who the funk doesn't have an agenda. Activists give a lot more time, in my view it's 99 per cent of their time into the Gaza conflict than say Ukraine or Sudan. So Zev does have a point, but I know in this thread people don't like to concede.

The abuse and put downs I receive in this thread is a disgrace btw! You won't be spoiling my holidays! The snark in this thread, people need to do better in here.
"To be fair" followed by a bunch of unbalanced bullshit, as per usual.

I think it's more the things that Australians feel a connection to - countries that we know a bit about that dictates the coverage. So traditionally Africa and South and Central America have been a black hole for coverage - outside the white guys we played cricket against.

But Australia now has a significant connection to South Sudan, so I thought it'd be beginning to appear on the media radar.
Maybe, but the only media coverage I can recall about the South Sudanese diaspora was during the fear-mongering about gangs. I think it's more a reflection on our media landscape

Maybe, but the only media coverage I can recall about the South Sudanese diaspora was during the fear-mongering about gangs. I think it's more a reflection on our media landscape
I think media is a reflection of society more than controlling it. Australian Sudanese are still viewed as the other - despite citizenship. It'll change gradually like it has with Greek, Italian and, Vietnamese Australians, - but it changes slowly. Probably a next generation thing.

Last edited:
The abuse and put downs I receive in this thread is a disgrace btw! You won't be spoiling my holidays! The snark in this thread, people need to do better in here.

Jesus Christ Love GIF by dualvoidanima

To be fair, posters in this thread have complained about the lack of coverage the war in Israel/Gaza received compared to Ukraine in its early days. I've seen people enraged about the coverage of (or lack there of) of Yemen at the time Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022. When we talk about agendas a legitimate response is who the funk doesn't have an agenda. Activists give a lot more time, in my view it's 99 per cent of their time into the Gaza conflict than say Ukraine or Sudan. So Zev does have a point, but I know in this thread people don't like to concede.

I'd like to hear more about the mythical time when posters were complaining that the Gaza war wasn't receiving as much coverage as the Ukraine War.

Was it Oct 2nd?

Why is everyone so petrified to have the talk about 'terrorism since the past 6 months. My position was that there was evidence that there were somunsavory types working for UNWRA. Just as I said there is evidence of mass rape and babies being decapitated on October 7. Just as there is evidence that before the Shah was instaelled it wasn't rainbows and Unicorns in Iran. Just as life under Saddam was pretty horrendous and that he was a despicable human.
The facts are that I've been critical of Israel, I've always stated that far too many children have died in the conflict. Sure UNWRA does good work and plenty of Palestinians are good people undeserving of their plight. But let's not act like everything is rainbows and unicorns from the other side and pretend Israel is up against actors that fit the embodiment of something like Mother Theresa.

Why is everyone so petrified to have the talk about 'terrorism since the past 6 months. My position was that there was evidence that there were somunsavory types working for UNWRA. Just as I said there is evidence of mass rape and babies being decapitated on October 7. Just as there is evidence that before the Shah was instaelled it wasn't rainbows and Unicorns in Iran. Just as life under Saddam was pretty horrendous and that he was a despicable human.
The facts are that I've been critical of Israel, I've always stated that far too many children have died in the conflict. Sure UNWRA does good work and plenty of Palestinians are good people undeserving of their plight. But let's not act like everything is rainbows and unicorns from the other side and pretend Israel is up against actors that fit the embodiment of something like Mother Theresa.

There is something fair dinkum wrong with you, remember this request you made for information about 7 days ago. Serious, get help

"I noticed you mentioned that there was evidence that babies were beheaded and that there was mass rape, can you post some sources please"

There is something fair dinkum wrong with you, remember this request you made for information about 7 days ago. Serious, get help

"I noticed you mentioned that there was evidence that babies were beheaded and that there was mass rape, can you post some sources please"
I was in a discussion with a great poster, a moderator on the crimes board who was lambasted, like myself, for insisting that there may have been evidence of mass rape when she was posting on the SRP board. The poster who I seeked referenced from is a woman no less. A beautiful poster.

The people denying such crimes on the SRP board and in here, let's just say I'll give them the benefit of the doubt cause I was brought up that if I didn't have anything nice to say, I wouldn't say it at all. You definitely don't live by that philosophy though. You're a real sniper Leon.

I was in a discussion with a great poster, a moderator on the crimes board who was lambasted, like myself, for insisting that there may have been evidence of mass rape when she was posting on the SRP board. The poster who I seeked referenced from is a woman no less.
you are creative in the context

a woman, man a beast who gives a rats arse. What was her response?

Your agenda.... makes me ill, as I said, get help, you do genuinely need it

Your "position" being that there is evidence doesn't actually cause said evidence to exist. You have provided none, because you're a shameless troll

Your "position" being that there is evidence doesn't actually cause said evidence to exist. You have provided none, because you're a shameless troll
I know the Wesley colllege rant hurt.
I haven't provided evidence as I've been working a lot of hours, and I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth like you. You wouldn't believe this but I simply don't have time and you're not high up on my priorities in life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't know that he's shameless.

Good chance he's one for the whips, flagellating himself, begging forgiveness from a higher power for being so obvious and simple in his trolling expeditions.

I haven't provided evidence as I've been working a lot of hours, and I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth like you. You wouldn't believe this but I simply don't have time and you're not high up on my priorities in life.
I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Please point me in the direction of this rant, a laugh would be good.

Despite you toiling such long hours, you've contributed over 300 posts in this thread, and almost half of all your total posts have been in this thread - 6 today alone! How is this possible when you're working to the bone all week?

just like a bad curry, you give me the runs

Dont have the time, why do you keep posting... always full of lies, ooops I meant contradictions.

We don't know that he's shameless.

Good chance he's one for the whips, flagellating himself, begging forgiveness from a higher power for being so obvious and simple in his trolling expeditions.
hey.... whats wrong with whipping oneself???? each to their own

If you really don't like my contributions, can you please stop tagging me or mentioning me for comment. Talk about being disingenuous.

you are creative in the context

a woman, man a beast who gives a rats arse. What was her response?

Your agenda.... makes me ill, as I said, get help, you do genuinely need it

I came across this recently.

"Windys posts are getting stranger and stranger"

Source - a woman....no less

Mass graves have been found and excavated, zip-tied corpses left behind by Israel.

Israel denies involvement. Israel lies, few people believe it. Israel just hopes that no one believes anything anymore.

Mass graves have been found and excavated, zip-tied corpses left behind by Israel.

Israel denies involvement. Israel lies, few people believe it. Israel just hopes that no one believes anything anymore.

I'm not denying any of this but I don't quite understand it. Why would Israel kill these people then put their bodies in a bag?. I'm probably way off but can you at least explain it a bit better because as it is, anyone could've buried those bodies, including Hamas. Now don't get all excited, this is a genuine question

I'm not denying any of this but I don't quite understand it. Why would Israel kill these people then put their bodies in a bag?. I'm probably way off but can you at least explain it a bit better because as it is, anyone could've buried those bodies, including Hamas. Now don't get all excited, this is a genuine question

I'm not sure you could say or do anything to get me excited. I live in hope.

Think on the practicalities. How would Hamas have enough control of any territory to secretly excavate enough earth for mass graves (there's more than one)? Why would they fill it with Palestinians who've been zip-tied and shot?

Given that there has been reported mass executions as the Israelis moved through the areas in which the bodies have been excavated, it sounds quite plausible that Israel can take the credit.

I'm not sure you could say or do anything to get me excited. I live in hope.

Think on the practicalities. How would Hamas have enough control of any territory to secretly excavate enough earth for mass graves (there's more than one)? Why would they fill it with Palestinians who've been zip-tied and shot?

Given that there has been reported mass executions as the Israelis moved through the areas in which the bodies have been excavated, it sounds quite plausible that Israel can take the credit.

I really appreciate the response. I see that 34,000 bodies have been counted so far. I certainly understand your stance. I just can't work out why no one is trying to stop this. The UN need to stop playing with themselves and put an end to this atrocity.

I really appreciate the response. I see that 34,000 bodies have been counted so far. I certainly understand your stance. I just can't work out why no one is trying to stop this. The UN need to stop playing with themselves and put an end to this atrocity.

The UNSC contains an inherent flaw: the permanent members can veto any meaningful action.

The US vetoes any action which will infringe upon Israel's right to do whatever it wants, the same as Russia knocks back anything which will impact on itself or its allies.

The UNSC contains an inherent flaw: the permanent members can veto any meaningful action.

The US vetoes any action which will infringe upon Israel's right to do whatever it wants, the same as Russia knocks back anything which will impact on itself or its allies.
I've always believed that the US is the real protagonist in all things war. Even as a person who has a liitle bit of Jew on my mum's side, this has become very embarrassing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back