News Aidyn Johnson signs with Tatura

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm leaning towards a delist on this one actually. Probably not this year as he will survive because we have so much fat to trim as it is, but seriously unimpressive year. I ******* love his attack on the footy, it's manic - but he doesn't get enough ball and isn't hitting the scoreboard so much. I also question his off-field professionalism after his noted issues.

Next year make or break.
Small forwards (and half back flankers) are a dime a dozen. There's always plenty on offer via either trade or draft at not much cost. They aren’t rucks or KPP's to hold onto as they develop and grow into their bodies. I feel much the same about AJ as you do. I'd be happy to see a major overhaul of our small forwards. Neade gone this year, AJ next if he doesn't improve and SPray on the trade table this year. None have screamed 'top player' (in games regularly against decent opposition before the Sam Gray apologists hop on board).

Last edited:
What are his noted issues?

I agree his professionalism could improve big time. Still so raw.
Needs to have a bigger impact on games, is ok half the time at SANFL level but completely invisible at AFL level.

Needs to have a bigger impact on games, is ok half the time at SANFL level but completely invisible at AFL level.
Fair call.

17 touches against Collingwood last year was his best game at Port so far.

Definitely think Ken wants to get him in the side because of his pace , unfortunately his last game at AFL level he wasn't one grabbing loose balls and chances . I'd give him another year to try and build his game and wouldn't rule out seeing him again this year

Delisting? Utterly ridiculous.

He'll be here for another year at the very least and I back him to make a successful career in the end.

AJ’s safe for mine. There are enough guys with half his potential to cut first.

Kicking is a concern though.

Potential doesn't win you games, getting the ball and kicking goals does. Sadly Aidyn hasn't done enough of either at AFL level. He has another year so let's hope he burns it up and stays injury free.

Hey Aidyn how are you

He's been promoted to the senior side a couple of times this year, was always going to be a long term proposition and has a further year on his contract.

Chances of delisting at the end of this year are basically zero.

I was being a bit bullish saying he'll likely make it, though I reckon he's gone ok thus far from what I've seen can see why the coaches have had him on the fringes. Not a real natural crumber, probably best suited up a bit further on the wing or high half-forward - but given list needs he's playing forward of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been promoted to the senior side a couple of times this year, was always going to be a long term proposition and has a further year on his contract.

Chances of delisting at the end of this year are basically zero.

I was being a bit bullish saying he'll likely make it, though I reckon he's gone ok thus far from what I've seen can see why the coaches have had him on the fringes. Not a real natural crumber, probably best suited up a bit further on the wing or high half-forward - but given list needs he's playing forward of the ball.

Why is Aiyden Johson a long term prospect? He was a third round pick in 2016 and is no younger than Sam Powell Pepper. There is no way he will force Polec or Motlop off a wing therefore he has next year to make it up forward or his place on the list is at risk.

Johnson is the only guy we have on our list that can play his position

We just don’t have another very quick hard tackling goal kicking small forward.

He is worth persisting with and considering the rarity of players that can do that and the players we have pumped 50+ games into Aidyn deserves an extended run at some point to see if he can put it together.

If he can’t then we need to know and adjust our recruiting accordingly.

Why is Aiyden Johson a long term prospect? He was a third round pick in 2016 and is no younger than Sam Powell Pepper. There is no way he will force Polec or Motlop off a wing therefore he has next year to make it up forward or his place on the list is at risk.
I guess we are lacking in that department whereas tough inside mids we have a plenty.

He's still only 20. Neade is 24 and we still persist with him despite no greater output than what Johnson provides.

He'll be a regular next year.

I'm a fan but i a was hoping for a lot more this year.

He still has loads of potential but hopefully kenny gets real with him.

Hopefully next year he starts putting it together or his career will be short.

No one has suggested Johnson should be cut this year, what has been suggested is that Johnson needs to lift if he wants a long AFL career. The kid has weapons but he's not making the most of his AFL opportunity.

He's still only 20. Neade is 24 and we still persist with him despite no greater output than what Johnson provides.

He'll be a regular next year.

That is the point we have persisted with Neade and got nowhere. Johnson will have his opportunities but he has to make the most of them. Comparing Johnson's output with that of Jake Neade is not a big rap. Neade's contract is up at the end of this year so there is an opportunity for Aidyn to get a shot. Of course we also have Farrell and Marshall looking for forward spots so there is plenty of competition for a forward spot.

As Forzaport and others have posted Aidyn has one year to go and if we give him more time after that without any sign of improvement we will be in Neade territory with a player who has potential but does not live up to it.

Last edited:
Neade has produced far better SANFL and AFL performances than Johnson. Particularly SANFL. Johnson has barely justified the games he has gotten at AFL level through SANFL form. He has missed a fair bit of footy with soft tissue stuff but he's gotta start putting runs on the board at SANFL level because his type of player are easily replaceable. Farrell may go past him in the blink of an eye. Though that alone wouldnt be the end of him it surely won't help.

Neade has produced far better SANFL and AFL performances than Johnson. Particularly SANFL. Johnson has barely justified the games he has gotten at AFL level through SANFL form. He has missed a fair bit of footy with soft tissue stuff but he's gotta start putting runs on the board at SANFL level because his type of player are easily replaceable. Farrell may go past him in the blink of an eye. Though that alone wouldnt be the end of him it surely won't help.

His type are not easily replaceable.

Different player than Farrell. We need to establish whether he has an AFL future and the sooner the better, he might not make it but he has elite afl attributes

Maybe we should release him into the middle ? He's a tough guy, attacks the contest and through the middle he an use his pace to hurt the opposition. Like he did with his running goal in the SANFL showdown.

Probably the least composed player of all time (not even exaggerating).

But he does find himself in dangerous positions. If he can learn to just chill out and think things through, he might have a future. But he should absolutely not be anywhere near the AFL side for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back