News Aidyn Johnson signs with Tatura

Remove this Banner Ad

This may have been said elsewhere already (I've mostly avoided the review/ changes thread) but Aidyn was good value. Didn't waste any opportunities to score and put McGovern off his game. Didn't see him much in the second half though.

Probably won't maintain that level, but deserves a pat on the back nonetheless.

The Gods favoured him.
He was Johnny-on-the-Spot with those goals, without necessarily generating much by is own actions.

The Gods favoured him.
He was Johnny-on-the-Spot with those goals, without necessarily generating much by is own actions.
You know what though if anyone in our team actually takes on the responsibility to kick multiple goals in a game without ridiculously and needlessly handballing off and losing possession, he can pretty much watch tv in a pocket for most of the game and still be ok.

At least AJ was kicking goals. Goals are our problem. We have a lot of possession of the footy but it doesn't seem to win us games.

Is it just me or does Johnson look like he's grown a bit recently. Looked much taller than I remember him.

Take one of those goals off because he gave a high shepard that cost Winfard a goal just on 3/4 time .
He does add something to the balance though , I wonder what he'd be like in defence , maybe too chaotic .
He is a goal kicker though, maybe our next Matt White , less skill but more pressure acts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may have been said elsewhere already (I've mostly avoided the review/ changes thread) but Aidyn was good value. Didn't waste any opportunities to score and put McGovern off his game. Didn't see him much in the second half though.

Probably won't maintain that level, but deserves a pat on the back nonetheless.
Nah it was a stupid move to play him on McGovern. Just as stupid as it was to Impey on McGovern in last years EF. But Johnson played as well can be expected when giving away 11cm and 18kg.

He kicked 3 goals but 2 had nothing to do with playing on McGovern and beating him. Johnson probably put that big hit on Cole right at the end of the 3rd when Chad snapped a goal and bumped Cole in the head because he had bumping into McGovern all night and had to hit hard to make any impact on McGovern and forgot Cole was shorter and lighter than McGovern so didnt have to hit as hard.

Johnson should have played on Jetta when he was playing HBF. Our fastest forward with blistering speed, watching their fastest player with blistering speed.

Goal of the week: Round 21, 2018
Thought I would put this in this thread.
Johnson passes to Boak and continues running and gets a pass from Robbie then goals .. bloody good effort.:D

Nah it was a stupid move to play him on McGovern. Just as stupid as it was to Impey on McGovern in last years EF. But Johnson played as well can be expected when giving away 11cm and 18kg.

He kicked 3 goals but 2 had nothing to do with playing on McGovern and beating him. Johnson probably put that big hit on Cole right at the end of the 3rd when Chad snapped a goal and bumped Cole in the head because he had bumping into McGovern all night and had to hit hard to make any impact on McGovern and forgot Cole was shorter and lighter than McGovern so didnt have to hit as hard.

Johnson should have played on Jetta when he was playing HBF. Our fastest forward with blistering speed, watching their fastest player with blistering speed.
I was dubious about it initially, but Johnson did a pretty good job really. McGovern took 6 marks for the game, only 3 intercept marks, and bar his mark and goal at the end (when Ebert was on him anyway) didn't have anywhere near the impact as he usually does. Disagree that only one of his goals was on McGovern. The first he definitely was, and his second he beat him for pace after Dixon brought it to ground and got on the end of it. Johnson also created at least one more scoring opportunity by way of a good tackle (which I think resulted in a Robbie Gray point after our usual overcooking of the ball in the 50). Given the way McGovern has dominated us this match up was a pretty good win. If we had played a KPF on him which had resulted in the exact same output everyone would be singing their praises.

AJ genuinely stinks in the SANFL but has a knack of making himself look like a competent footballer at AFL level. I'm intrigued.

Some players play better when surrounded by better players. This applies to all sports. AJ is exactly the type of cream on the cake type player that is going to play better in an AFL team than an SANFL team. Not surprised at all.

In all honesty thats an awful kick from Boak, lucky it worked out.

What are you talking about? It was a perfectly weighted kick to the advantage of Gray. Robbie wasn’t leading towards Boak - he was stationary, ready to turn back towards goal. Boak put the ball exactly where he wanted it.

Sometimes I wonder if this board actually knows anything about the game they supposedly follow.

In all honesty thats an awful kick from Boak, lucky it worked out.
What are you talking about? It was a perfectly weighted kick to the advantage of Gray. Robbie wasn’t leading towards Boak - he was stationary, ready to turn back towards goal. Boak put the ball exactly where he wanted it.

Sometimes I wonder if this board actually knows anything about the game they supposedly follow.

Boak had two options, if he wanted to target RGray: either kicking short; or doing precisely what he did.

One can discuss which would have been the better option, but Boak seems to have kicked the way he wanted to kick. For instance, Robbie didn't look surprised at all. He stayed put to call his opponent's attention.

Their back bought Robbie's trick. He went straight onto Gray, instead of following the ball. He missed the spoil, letting Robbie attack the ball unopposed.

Boak had two options, if he wanted to target RGray: either kicking short; or doing precisely what he did.

One can discuss which would have been the better option, but Boak seems to have kicked the way he wanted to kick. For instance, Robbie didn't look surprised at all. He stayed put to call his opponent's attention.

Their back bought Robbie's trick. He went straight onto Gray, instead of following the ball. He missed the spoil, letting Robbie attack the ball unopposed.

Gray was in the double threat area of the ground and it worked.

AJ genuinely stinks in the SANFL but has a knack of making himself look like a competent footballer at AFL level. I'm intrigued.
SANFL has a lot more one on one, shut down footy, as kicking isn't precise.

AFL, zones, press etc less one on one footy, more gaps, better kicking, he uses his acceleration to get into those open spaces and find the ball. But if you look at the stats its not as if he finds a massive amount of the footy in the AFL over what he finds in the SANFL.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back