Women's Footy AFLW season 2023 - Season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

South Adelaide winger Holly Ifould received a draft hint from Fremantle’s Instagram account before draft selection​

Holly Ifould was swept up in the AFLW draft before an Instagram follow moments before her selection caught her attention, writes ELIZA REILLY.

3 min read
December 19, 2023 - 2:53PM

Not even a premature Instagram follow from Fremantle’s official account could limit the excitement Holly Ifould felt after being drafted by the Dockers.
Ifould, an athletic winger from South Australia, was watching the draft unfold at the South Adelaide football club with friends, family and teammates when the Dockers were put on the clock at pick 49.
And while she had a gut feeling about Fremantle, interviewed twice by the Dockers in the lead-up to the AFLW draft, a cheeky follow just before her name was read out ratified Ifould’s inkling.
“I was pretty nervous,” Ifould said. “But just prior to that, I saw that the Freo Dockers had requested me on Instagram. I was showing my friends like, ‘Oh my god. Could this be a coincidence?’
“They had the next pick and I knew they were interested. I spoke with five clubs but they were definitely up there with the clubs that showed the most interest. I had a bit of interest from Carlton as well.
“As soon as they called out my name, I burst into tears. It was all the built-up stress coming out when I realised I’d done it. I think in our function room, the broadcast might’ve been a bit behind.”
Holly Ifould is off to the Dockers. (Photo by Mark Brake/AFL Photos/Getty Images)

Holly Ifould is off to the Dockers. (Photo by Mark Brake/AFL Photos/Getty Images)

Ifould already has a strong connection with Western Australia. She was born in Perth and lived in Success before moving to South Australia at the age of two.
It’s why with their first and only live pick of the night, the Dockers turned to Ifould, believing she could be a long-term prospect for the club.
“I had a good feeling about Freo being born in Western Australia and having that connection,” she said. “It was fitting.
“Mum and dad spent plenty of time in Perth prior to me being born. Mum’s got some of her best friends over there including Michelle Cowan who’s obviously at West Coast. And Dad played for the Fremantle Cricket Club. He’s already had heaps of messages from his old friends saying congrats.”
A relative latecomer to football, Ifould did callisthenics for eight years before she started playing football through school. Footy, she realised, was her calling and she joined the Willunga Demons where she won two premierships.
Then she was picked up by South Adelaide in the SANFLW.
Elements of callisthenics were evident in her game.
“Definitely my aerial ability through that strength in my shoulders,” Ifould said. “Obviously in callisthenics, I did a lot of tricks like handstands and whatnot.
“That was probably the biggest conversion, being able to have strong hands in the contest. Probably a bit of endurance as well in my running considering we had to be on stage and dance for four minutes.”
The SA product was born in Perth originally. (Photo by Paul Kane/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

The SA product was born in Perth originally. (Photo by Paul Kane/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

Ifould’s speed and work rate saw her stationed on the wing for South Australia throughout the AFLW National Championships. In a dominant Croweaters team that featured the likes of Shineah Goody, Lauren Young, Elaine Grigg and Piper Window, Ifould also made her mark.
“As soon as I was picked in that squad, that (draft) dream came into view and was a bit more realistic,” she said. “I knew I’d have to work hard for it but as the year went on and I started to perform in games, I thought it was something I could achieve.”
Ifould was challenged late in the year when a bad case of the flu prevented her from testing to the best of her ability at the AFLW draft combine.

“Because I was trying to prepare for the combine at the same time, I wasn’t allowing my body to fully recover,” Ifould said. “It was a give-and-take situation because I needed to prepare for the combine but I was also sick at the same time.
“I was pretty sick for quite a while and I also had to get through the end of school but I’ve allowed myself to rest.”
Ifould will move to Perth in the New Year to commence her AFLW career under the guidance of her favourite Dockers, new recruit Ash Brazill and best and fairest Ange Stannett.

Is a bit of a head scratcher that after the past two seasons we’ve had, we end up with a single solitary substantial pick at 49 in the draft. So many others with better seasons positively raking it in.

Is a bit of a head scratcher that after the past two seasons we’ve had, we end up with a single solitary substantial pick at 49 in the draft. So many others with better seasons positively raking it in.
We did trade for a former pick 1

Whether we valued her too high is yet to be seen

It's also hard to argue McCarthy was worth less than 27

Agree how do highly successfull teams like Brisbane and Melbourne have so many picks and we have just being an average team over past few years, something not quite right

Agree how do highly successfull teams like Brisbane and Melbourne have so many picks and we have just being an average team over past few years, something not quite right
We had the picks but traded them out for very good players in Newton, McCarthy and Brazill.
Only time will tell if it was a good decision or if we should have done what Melbourne did and hit the draft.

Melbourne just had a massive exodus

Brisbane actually got fair compo picks for the players they lost last year

We did trade for a former pick 1

Whether we valued her too high is yet to be seen

It's also hard to argue McCarthy was worth less than 27
We’re definitely going heavily towards the Gaelic background players. I’d prefer a different mix (ie even more players with tennis backgrounds), while the athleticism is often great, there’s some fundamentals around contesting the ball that you can do and still thrive as a Gaelic player that are liabilities in Aussie Rules.

Overall it‘s just the poor level of draft/trade currency we seem to have year after year, regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re definitely going heavily towards the Gaelic background players. I’d prefer a different mix (ie even more players with tennis backgrounds), while the athleticism is often great, there’s some fundamentals around contesting the ball that you can do and still thrive as a Gaelic player that are liabilities in Aussie Rules.

Overall it‘s just the poor level of draft/trade currency we seem to have year after year, regardless.
We should be targeting NCAA athletes.

Basketballers like Antonia and O’Sullivan has transitioned well.

Lacrosse, Volleyball, and track and field would have some serious awesome athletes.

In the 1970’s WA basketball recruited US imports who had teaching degrees and found them work in the schools.

We could do the same and extended it other lines of work.

I actually don’t mind our strategy, we obviously felt we had lost too much experience in the last 3 seasons to expansion clubs so preferred trading in to drafting, getting a 32yo back, 26yo mid/fwd and a 22yo utility (and former number 1 draft pick) is a good haul, disappointing to not still have a pick in the 20s though to force WC to cough up a better pick on Cleaver who should have been 1st round on talent.
Losing Roxy and Hyde also hurts.

Fremantle AFLW recruit Ash Brazill reveals why she decided to join Dockers after retiring from netball​

Ash Brazill headed to a local park because the “kids were being feral”. What happened next would pave the way for her Freo move, writes ELIZA REILLY.

5 min read
December 21, 2023 - 9:00AM

Dual-sport trailblazer Ash Brazill has signed with Fremantle AFLW, having retired from netball after winning the World Cup with Australia this year. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images for Netball Australia

Dual-sport trailblazer Ash Brazill has signed with Fremantle AFLW, having retired from netball after winning the World Cup with Australia this year. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images for Netball Australia

Ash Brazill believes in destiny. So, when she coincidentally turned up at the same park on the outskirts of Melbourne as Fremantle coach Lisa Webb, she couldn’t ignore fate.
The 33-year-old announced her retirement from netball earlier this year. That was so Brazill, her wife Brooke and their two kids Louis and Frankie could move back home to Perth. Naturally, the Eagles and Dockers both made subtle inquiries. But Brazill was about to embark on her final Netball World Cup campaign and that was her sole focus.
That was until a chance meeting in the place Brazill least expected.
“Little things kept happening with Freo,” she told CODE Sports. “I’m a big believer in the idea that the universe puts you where you need to be.
“There was one time earlier this year when Freo were in Melbourne and they reached out to ask if we could catch up. It was the day before the World Cup camp so I said, ‘Thanks but no thanks.’ It was going to be too stressful going into a World Cup and I didn’t want to even think about footy.
“Then, one day, the kids were being feral so I took them down to the local park and Lisa (Webb) was there with her two kids. It’s not like we were in Melbourne. We lived a bit out of Melbourne.
“She goes, ‘Ash!’ And I didn’t recognise her. I didn’t put a name to a face.
“I was like, ‘I don’t know this person. It’s just a netball fan’. We started talking and she goes, ‘I swear I’m not stalking you. I live on this street’. We didn’t even talk about footy. We talked about family and she was asking me stuff about netball.
“Every time I caught up with Lisa, it was super easy. We caught up once for what was supposed to be a half an hour coffee and it ended up being two hours.”
Brazill has revealed that a chance encounter with Dockers coach Lisa Webb helped secure a move to Fremantle. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Brazill has revealed that a chance encounter with Dockers coach Lisa Webb helped secure a move to Fremantle. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

It was a match made in heaven.
Both parties just had to wait several months to make it official.
Brazill retired from netball as a world champion when the Diamonds defeated England in August. Then she turned her focus to AFLW, playing eight games for Collingwood as the Magpies fell out of finals.
At the end of the season, she officially requested a trade to Fremantle.
“For me, it felt easy because it wasn’t really a football decision,” Brazill said. “I do want to keep playing footy but it was mainly a family decision.
“Brooke and I moved to Melbourne for the netball with the plan being we’d be there for two years. We ended up staying for seven years. Every inch of me wanted to go home.
“It was still hard telling Collingwood because that was the club that allowed me to play both of the sports I love. They helped me achieve all-Australian selection in footy but they also made my dream come true of being an Australian Diamond. I had both of my highs at that club.
“Telling (head of women’s football) Jess Burger face-to-face was difficult. They wanted to keep me and tried to make it possible but I wasn’t willing to leave my wife and two kids for six months of the year to play footy.”
Brooke and Ash Brazill at the Australian Netball Awards. Picture: Getty Images

When the AFLW trade period kicked off in December, Brazill and her family were just a few weeks into a six-month road trip around Australia that will eventually end in Perth. “I haven’t had an off-season in five years so we’re doing this one in style.”
Traversing some of the most remote corners of the country, an impending trade was the furthest thing from Brazill’s mind.
“I was so naive,” she said. “I had no reception that entire week.
“When I spoke to Collingwood, they seemed pretty confident of getting something done. I didn’t think much of it. When I came into reception, I saw all of these trades had gone through. So I googled ‘When does the trade period end’ and quickly realised it was that day.
“Obviously in netball, you get to choose where you want to go and sign contracts. So this was a whole new ballpark for me. I had no idea. My brother called me on that Thursday and said, ‘Your trade has to go through today!’ And I was thinking, ‘Yeah, OK, by close of business’, and he said, ‘No, by 2pm’.
“At that point, I hadn’t spoken to either club. So I called up Fremantle and was like, ‘Is this still a thing?’ And they said, ‘Yep. It’s going to happen. Try not to stress. We’ll make it work but it might just take the rest of the trade period’. And I was like, ‘So four hours?’ Literally, that’s what it ended up being.”
Plenty had to happen for Ash Brazill to get from Collingwood to Fremantle. Picture: Michael Klein.

Plenty had to happen for Ash Brazill to get from Collingwood to Fremantle. Picture: Michael Klein.

Brazill was tied up in a mammoth 11-club mega trade that achieved the desired outcome of making her a Docker.
With more than a decade’s experience as a professional athlete under her belt, Fremantle believes Brazill’s leadership will be invaluable as the Dockers go all in on a return to finals.
Brazill’s motivation is a little more holistic.
“Obviously I want to play finals and I want to be the best footballer I can be,” she said. “But I’m 33. I’ve just finished an awesome netball career which I loved. I just want amazing people around me.
“I want to know who is going to be my coach and I want to play for them. That’s when I play my best netball or footy.
“She’s (Webb) a mum. Her son is two days older than mine. Turbo (Kiara Bowers) having a kid as well, I’ll be around a group that understands what it means to have a young family. That is my drive.
“What I loved about them, was they didn’t go ‘This is what we want and this is what we’re going to do.’ Every club is the same in that respect. Every club wants to play finals and win a premiership.
“What stood out about Fremantle was their culture. That’s what excites me the most.”
Ash Brazill retired from netball after winning the World Cup final against England in August. Picture: Ashley Vlotman/Gallo Images/Netball World Cup 2023 via Getty Images

Ash Brazill retired from netball after winning the World Cup final against England in August. Picture: Ashley Vlotman/Gallo Images/Netball World Cup 2023 via Getty Images

“I’m excited to see what I’m like just as a footballer,” she said. “I’ve never done a full footy pre-season because I’ve always been off with netball. At the same time, I’m nervous. I know that a netball body and netball fitness work for me.

“It’s how I play the game. I don’t want to lose what netball taught me because my agility is what sets me apart in footy. But I’m excited to develop that footy fitness and footy brain.

“I still feel like I have so much to learn.”

We should be targeting NCAA athletes.

Basketballers like Antonia and O’Sullivan has transitioned well.

Lacrosse, Volleyball, and track and field would have some serious awesome athletes.

In the 1970’s WA basketball recruited US imports who had teaching degrees and found them work in the schools.

We could do the same and extended it other lines of work.
I’m all in on the tennis players. They seem to have a built in to them direct lining at the ball and make sound decisions in quick time. Tend to be more confident taking charge when the balls there to be got too. All traits that are difference makers in the AFLW.

Fremantle AFLW recruit Ash Brazill reveals why she decided to join Dockers after retiring from netball​

Ash Brazill headed to a local park because the “kids were being feral”. What happened next would pave the way for her Freo move, writes ELIZA REILLY.

5 min read
December 21, 2023 - 9:00AM

Ash Brazill believes in destiny. So, when she coincidentally turned up at the same park on the outskirts of Melbourne as Fremantle coach Lisa Webb, she couldn’t ignore fate.
The 33-year-old announced her retirement from netball earlier this year. That was so Brazill, her wife Brooke and their two kids Louis and Frankie could move back home to Perth. Naturally, the Eagles and Dockers both made subtle inquiries. But Brazill was about to embark on her final Netball World Cup campaign and that was her sole focus.
That was until a chance meeting in the place Brazill least expected.
“Little things kept happening with Freo,” she told CODE Sports. “I’m a big believer in the idea that the universe puts you where you need to be.
“There was one time earlier this year when Freo were in Melbourne and they reached out to ask if we could catch up. It was the day before the World Cup camp so I said, ‘Thanks but no thanks.’ It was going to be too stressful going into a World Cup and I didn’t want to even think about footy.
“Then, one day, the kids were being feral so I took them down to the local park and Lisa (Webb) was there with her two kids. It’s not like we were in Melbourne. We lived a bit out of Melbourne.
“She goes, ‘Ash!’ And I didn’t recognise her. I didn’t put a name to a face.
“I was like, ‘I don’t know this person. It’s just a netball fan’. We started talking and she goes, ‘I swear I’m not stalking you. I live on this street’. We didn’t even talk about footy. We talked about family and she was asking me stuff about netball.
“Every time I caught up with Lisa, it was super easy. We caught up once for what was supposed to be a half an hour coffee and it ended up being two hours.”

It was a match made in heaven.
Both parties just had to wait several months to make it official.
Brazill retired from netball as a world champion when the Diamonds defeated England in August. Then she turned her focus to AFLW, playing eight games for Collingwood as the Magpies fell out of finals.
At the end of the season, she officially requested a trade to Fremantle.
“For me, it felt easy because it wasn’t really a football decision,” Brazill said. “I do want to keep playing footy but it was mainly a family decision.
“Brooke and I moved to Melbourne for the netball with the plan being we’d be there for two years. We ended up staying for seven years. Every inch of me wanted to go home.
“It was still hard telling Collingwood because that was the club that allowed me to play both of the sports I love. They helped me achieve all-Australian selection in footy but they also made my dream come true of being an Australian Diamond. I had both of my highs at that club.
“Telling (head of women’s football) Jess Burger face-to-face was difficult. They wanted to keep me and tried to make it possible but I wasn’t willing to leave my wife and two kids for six months of the year to play footy.”

When the AFLW trade period kicked off in December, Brazill and her family were just a few weeks into a six-month road trip around Australia that will eventually end in Perth. “I haven’t had an off-season in five years so we’re doing this one in style.”
Traversing some of the most remote corners of the country, an impending trade was the furthest thing from Brazill’s mind.
“I was so naive,” she said. “I had no reception that entire week.
“When I spoke to Collingwood, they seemed pretty confident of getting something done. I didn’t think much of it. When I came into reception, I saw all of these trades had gone through. So I googled ‘When does the trade period end’ and quickly realised it was that day.
“Obviously in netball, you get to choose where you want to go and sign contracts. So this was a whole new ballpark for me. I had no idea. My brother called me on that Thursday and said, ‘Your trade has to go through today!’ And I was thinking, ‘Yeah, OK, by close of business’, and he said, ‘No, by 2pm’.
“At that point, I hadn’t spoken to either club. So I called up Fremantle and was like, ‘Is this still a thing?’ And they said, ‘Yep. It’s going to happen. Try not to stress. We’ll make it work but it might just take the rest of the trade period’. And I was like, ‘So four hours?’ Literally, that’s what it ended up being.”

Brazill was tied up in a mammoth 11-club mega trade that achieved the desired outcome of making her a Docker.
With more than a decade’s experience as a professional athlete under her belt, Fremantle believes Brazill’s leadership will be invaluable as the Dockers go all in on a return to finals.
Brazill’s motivation is a little more holistic.
“Obviously I want to play finals and I want to be the best footballer I can be,” she said. “But I’m 33. I’ve just finished an awesome netball career which I loved. I just want amazing people around me.
“I want to know who is going to be my coach and I want to play for them. That’s when I play my best netball or footy.
“She’s (Webb) a mum. Her son is two days older than mine. Turbo (Kiara Bowers) having a kid as well, I’ll be around a group that understands what it means to have a young family. That is my drive.
“What I loved about them, was they didn’t go ‘This is what we want and this is what we’re going to do.’ Every club is the same in that respect. Every club wants to play finals and win a premiership.
“What stood out about Fremantle was their culture. That’s what excites me the most.”

“I’m excited to see what I’m like just as a footballer,” she said. “I’ve never done a full footy pre-season because I’ve always been off with netball. At the same time, I’m nervous. I know that a netball body and netball fitness work for me.

“It’s how I play the game. I don’t want to lose what netball taught me because my agility is what sets me apart in footy. But I’m excited to develop that footy fitness and footy brain.

“I still feel like I have so much to learn.”
How long did she sign on for? Doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere that I can find with a quick peruse.

AFLW: Former number one pick Gabby Newton opens up on Fremantle trade after tough season with Western Bulldogs​

Gabby Newton has revealed that her move from the Western Bulldogs to Fremantle was nearly a year in the making. After first turning the Dockers down, one big factor changed her mind, writes ELIZA REILLY.

4 min read
December 22, 2023 - 9:00AM

Gabby Newton had all but closed the door on a trade to the Dockers.

The former number one draft pick was the biggest name to change clubs during the AFLW trade period, moving from the Western Bulldogs to Fremantle. But it was a different story when the Dockers first reached out to the utility earlier this year.
On an off-season trip to Perth earlier this year with a group of Bulldogs’ teammates, Newton secretly met with Fremantle.
It made complete sense. Lisa Webb had just been appointed head coach but she’d made a big impact during her one season as an assistant at the Bulldogs. Newton strongly considered a move to Fremantle ahead of the 2023 season but ultimately she decided to stick fat with the Bulldogs.
“I’m so close with my teammates at the Dogs,” Newton said. “I love the club.
“There’s so many people I love and respect there. We had a real goal for this season that we wanted to achieve.
Gabby Newton has opened up on her move to Fremantle, revealing what changed her mind after initially turning the Dockers down. Picture: Getty Images

Gabby Newton has opened up on her move to Fremantle, revealing what changed her mind after initially turning the Dockers down. Picture: Getty Images

“Personally, I also had some circumstances with my family which was going to make it too hard to move away. I felt in my gut that it was the right thing to stay.
“It was a tough season in the end but I’m still really glad I made that decision because I owed it to my club and my teammates. I’ve got lifelong friends there so I’m really glad that I stayed.
“But now I feel like this is the right thing for me next year and beyond.”
The Bulldogs won just one game in 2023, finishing the season as wooden spooners. Nathan Burke lost his job as coach. And Newton revisited trade talks with Webb and fellow former Bulldog Bob Murphy.
“They talked me through what it would look like coming to Freo,” Newton said. “They’re such beautiful people.
“They told me what the club was about. I thought it would be a good thing for my footy but also for me as a human being to be around new people again and live in Perth.
“I genuinely believe in the club and what they’re about. Webby is such a good coach and so smart. I can learn so much from her. And I’m good friends with Bob outside of footy generally.
“Moving away from home to a new environment is the challenge I need.”
Before taking over at Fremantle, Lisa Webb made a big impact during her one season as an assistant at the Bulldogs. Picture: Getty Images

Before taking over at Fremantle, Lisa Webb made a big impact during her one season as an assistant at the Bulldogs. Picture: Getty Images

Unfortunately for Newton’s sanity, her deal didn’t go through until the final hour of a week-long trade period. The 22-year-old was part of an 11-club mega trade that coincidentally was being struck as she was having lunch with her Bulldogs’ teammates.
“I was pretty nervous, especially when it got down to the last hour because I knew there were a couple of girls from the Dogs who were looking to move as well,” she said. “But I was still confident it would go through and I’m glad the Dogs got what they wanted for me.
“I didn’t pester my manager too much during trade week. It was so out of my control. I knew things were progressing but I went into Thursday blind. I got a text with half an hour to go telling me it was done so that was a relief.
“I had just done a boxing session with a couple of the Doggies girls. We were sitting at lunch and I’d just left when I was sitting in the car and got the notification from Siri.”
If that miracle trade hadn’t been reached, Newton would have faced the awkward possibility of being redrafted by the Bulldogs at pick one.
“I’d heard that but I didn’t really think it would happen,” Newton said. “It would’ve been funny.
“I do assume I would’ve been the first person to get drafted at pick one two times. But you want someone at your club who wants to be there.”
Reflecting on her 36-game career at the Western Bulldogs, Newton is satisfied with what she achieved.

She was named the Bulldogs’ Best First Year Player in her debut season back in 2020, also earning a Rising Star nomination and selection in the AFLPA 22under22 team that year. Then Newton was placed on the inactive list after undergoing a dual shoulder reconstruction before season six.
“I struggled with injuries but during those years, I grew so much as a person off-field,” she said. “Everything happens for a reason and I probably wouldn’t have gotten into coaching or had leadership opportunities.
“At the start of my career, I felt a bit of pressure (being the number one pick) but Izzy Huntington was at the Bulldogs and helped me through that a lot. After that, it erases from your mind. There’s a clean slate moving across and I need to prove myself again.
“I’ve learnt so much and I’m so proud about what we were able to achieve and our connection.”
On-field, Newton was the ultimate utility, playing defence, up forward and in the midfield in the space of 10 games this season. Fremantle has pencilled in a split role.
“I’m hoping for a bit more midfield time and then going back to play forward again,” Newton said. “They’ve got a really strong defence but I think I can slot into their midfield and forward line. You never know until you start playing and where I can complement the girls.”
With Ash Brazill and Aisling McCarthy also joining Fremantle via the trade period, Newton hopes to play a small part in the Dockers’ desired success.

“It’s something I spoke to the list manager Darryn Fry about,” she said. “It feels like they’ve built a strong list.
“Getting myself, Ash Braz and Aish Mac across will hopefully complement a side that wants to return to finals.
“I really want to build close relationships with everyone and hopefully immerse myself in the game plan and the program.”

I’m all in on the tennis players. They seem to have a built in to them direct lining at the ball and make sound decisions in quick time. Tend to be more confident taking charge when the balls there to be got too. All traits that are difference makers in the AFLW.
NCAA has tennis as well.

Most elite players are handy at a many of sports.

Let me has a go at a best 22.

Backs;

Pugh O'Dricoll
Varrier Brazill Seth

Midfielders
Centre square: Strom, Bowers, Newton, and McCarthy
Wings: Lally and Miller

Forwards
O'Sullivan Antonio Stannett
Morrison Tighe

Bench;
East, Hetherington, Kauffman, Runnalls, Mulholland, Scanlon
Good looking team, I’d probably prefer Tux on the bench instead of Runnalls, allows O’Sullivan to spend more time in the midfield. Everything else I like.
It highlights our lack of depth in the ruck department. If Storm is injured we are playing Tighe or Hetherington in the ruck.

It’s looking stronger eh

I’d like Tux in for Runnalls too

Also I think Scanlon to CHB and Brazill to CHF (Morrison to the bench) that’s a hard to match up forward line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back