Opinion adelaide schools

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the same public school right the way through from Reception to year 12.

I despise the religious nature of private schools, but acknowledge that results are higher there than public schools. Also, I really don't think it's necessarily cost effective even if results are 5-10% better when each student is spending $10,000+ a year just on schooling.

An olympic size swimming pool and 10 tennis courts aren't necessary to receive a quality education.

We had some very good teachers, and some very, very bad ones. If it was possible to have a little more accountability on the poor teachers, education could be improved dramatically.

If it was possible to have a little more accountability on the poor teachers, education could be improved dramatically.

I agree regarding accountability towards teachers but how do you propose this to occur?

I agree regarding accountability towards teachers but how do you propose this to occur?

That's the tricky part.

There's at least one teacher at my school who would be fired in just about every other profession cause they're just so crap, yet nothing seems to happen. My sister and a couple of her friends have complained about him, but no action took place I believe.

I assume the number of teachers available isn't anywhere near high enough for this to occur?

That's the tricky part.

There's at least one teacher at my school who would be fired in just about every other profession cause they're just so crap, yet nothing seems to happen. My sister and a couple of her friends have complained about him, but no action took place I believe.

That could only be a negative perception. Unless your implying someone inappropriate.

Many good teachers are disliked fir different reasons and only based on a perception. I don't know the situation, so not judging. Just saying, everyone sees things differently.

I assume the number of teachers available isn't anywhere near high enough for this to occur?

Perminate teachers can not be fired unless it's for drugs, sex or violence. That's the thing that makes it difficult, especially if they are crap.

That could only be a negative perception. Unless your implying someone inappropriate.

Many good teachers are disliked fir different reasons and only based on a perception. I don't know the situation, so not judging. Just saying, everyone sees things differently.

Perminate teachers can not be fired unless it's for drugs, sex or violence. That's the thing that makes it difficult, especially if they are crap.

I'll have to ask her specifics on the crapness, but from what I can remember, you just shake your head and wonder how this guy is 1) qualified and 2) still in the job.

I agree there are many teachers disliked unfairly, but my sister is a great student so she wouldn't say this stuff without some thought.

I went to Nazareth, fairly new school in the western suburbs and formally an all girls school called "Sienna College". Not very competitive when it comes to very high standards in sports in comparison with other school, but a nice school nevertheless.

And sorry for derailings the Battersby thread ;)

I'll have to ask her specifics on the crapness, but from what I can remember, you just shake your head and wonder how this guy is 1) qualified and 2) still in the job.

I agree there are many teachers disliked unfairly, but my sister is a great student so she wouldn't say this stuff without some thought.

I agree and look, I'm not judging your sister or her reasons for disliking this teacher as I don't know her.

The reason some perminiate teachers are crap, they are not held to account and have a job for life unless they do something inappropriate to a student and that's nothing about job performance, as in teaching the content.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Public Primary & Private Secondary.

My son went to a mix of private & public primary, but his high schooling has been all public (albeit country for Year 9-11). He gunning for a large scholarship at the end of Year 12, so he's going alright under the Public system.

That's one advantage of a country school - bonus TER points.

The reason some perminiate teachers are crap, they are not held to account and have a job for life unless they do something inappropriate to a student and that's nothing about job performance, as in teaching the content.

I'm saying this for the benefit of our society's future, not to be a jerk. The word is "permanent".

I'm saying this for the benefit of our society's future, not to be a jerk. The word is "permanent".

permeate%20free%20thumbnail.jpg

My only excuse - laziness using the iPad.

Small keyboard + fat fingers + not caring enough to change my posts with editing of words = typos and posts like yours.

Ergo - this is not my first typo and won't be my last, therefore it doesn't matter to me as clearly you understood what word I was trying to use.

There are so many problems with sounding out these so called "Bad Teachers" in modern society. Firstly a huge issue has developed where kids are turning up at reception unable to even write their own name or read even the most basic of English. I call it the playstation syndrome. Parents have clearly taken to video games as a mega cheap baby sitter even when the parents are at home and hence the lack of parental interaction has lead to this problem. These kids then turn up at school and the poor teachers are virtually expected to perform miracles as well as teach 25 other kids. The problem doesn't go away. The kids then go home from school and then play more playstation. Schools were never designed as the be all and end all of bringing up kids. Parents must take the ultimate blame especially if their kids do poorly at school and come out barely able to read and write. However society and the media have started blaming teachers at every turn.

I personally couldn't give a flying turd what kids think of teachers, whether they are bad teachers or not because they are biased and have not a single clue on what to look for as to what makes a good teacher. I will admit like all jobs bad employees exist. These bad teachers do cop warnings and do find themselves fired. Anything Christopher Pyne says about weeding out bad teachers is pure BS. It happens already. Remember though teachers are trained professionals just like any other profession and should be treated with far greater respect! problem is every parent seems to be an expert now and hence the poor teacher knows nothing!

There are so many problems with sounding out these so called "Bad Teachers" in modern society. Firstly a huge issue has developed where kids are turning up at reception unable to even write their own name or read even the most basic of English. I call it the playstation syndrome. Parents have clearly taken to video games as a mega cheap baby sitter even when the parents are at home and hence the lack of parental interaction has lead to this problem. These kids then turn up at school and the poor teachers are virtually expected to perform miracles as well as teach 25 other kids. The problem doesn't go away. The kids then go home from school and then play more playstation. Schools were never designed as the be all and end all of bringing up kids. Parents must take the ultimate blame especially if their kids do poorly at school and come out barely able to read and write. However society and the media have started blaming teachers at every turn.

I personally couldn't give a flying turd what kids think of teachers, whether they are bad teachers or not because they are biased and have not a single clue on what to look for as to what makes a good teacher. I will admit like all jobs bad employees exist. These bad teachers do cop warnings and do find themselves fired. Anything Christopher Pyne says about weeding out bad teachers is pure BS. It happens already. Remember though teachers are trained professionals just like any other profession and should be treated with far greater respect! problem is every parent seems to be an expert now and hence the poor teacher knows nothing!

Very good post. Agree with it.

Once you tack lunch and recess out of a day - a teacher only has teaching contact time with a student at about 20% of a day.

Very good post. Agree with it.

Once you tack lunch and recess out of a day - a teacher only has teaching contact time with a student at about 20% of a day.

5 hours teaching contact a day divide by 25 kids to personal contact time is only 12 minutes per day. Minus sport, art projects, excursions, relief teachers etc. Kids can not be realistically taught the basics with no prior knowledge of reading and writing without parental help. If that doesn't happen the kid is screwed. Of course learning English and reading and writing is key learning in primary school but again, the kid must be able to recognise, read, sound and write basic words and understand the words most basic of meaning before they start school. They should also be able to recognise numbers, at least be able to count a little and know how to add. I have friends who have kids at age 3 that can do that. So its not an impossible or hard request. Its like spending half an hour reading and writing with your kids a night. Or in other words be a parent and take some responsibility.

25 (yes I know a nice round number) but in many cases, it's as many as 31 or 32 kids in one class.

25 kids in one class is a dream.

But yes, if parents took the time to sent their kids to school with the ability to read, write, know the alphabet and understand different sounds would help. However, since some kids are so hyped up and can not sit still for more than 3 minutes at a time doesn't help.

Not enough time in a day to meet all the KPI's the department of Education expect teachers to meet.

25 (yes I know a nice round number) but in many cases, it's as many as 31 or 32 kids in one class.

25 kids in one class is a dream.

But yes, if parents took the time to sent their kids to school with the ability to read, write, know the alphabet and understand different sounds would help. However, since some kids are so hyped up and can not sit still for more than 3 minutes at a time doesn't help.

Not enough time in a day to meet all the KPI's the department of Education expect teachers to meet.

There is no easy answer otherwise it would have been answered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back