Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Have said before but if you bag him when it's going bad you have to give full credit when it turns the other way

Honestly didn't think he had it in him but hes completely changed it up this year I absolutely love it

(The freak in the number 9 has helped a little bit also)
As a vocal proponent of the sack Simpson camp, what's unfolded over the last three weeks is remarkable. Not only have we seen a new, updated and fit for purpose gameplan with quick and crisp ball movement, we're seeing players hunting in packs, bringing intensity we haven't seen in years, and structurally sound spacing.

Whether or not this becomes the standard or is a temporary upswing is anyone's guess but, it's refreshing and encouraging to see greenshoots.

Last edited:
I went on 6pr last year to say sacking Simmo wasn't the answer. We needed to get ris of other people like Nesbitt who was asleep at the wheel .As well we needed to Improve s&c and our drafting and all those things happened.
Sacking the coach last year wouldn't have solved problems with our injuries.
Finally Simmo can concentrate on shaping our playing style with a reasonably fit squad

Simpson critic towards the end of last year. Thought we had no choice but to get rid of him.

As above, credit where it’s due. The play style we’ve seen develop in the past couple of weeks is extremely attractive, exciting and most of all - it seems to be working. I’m really enjoying the game plan particularly when there are strategic moves throughout the game that clearly benefit us. Some of which Freo had no match for - Reid up forward to free him up amongst others. The footy club is clearly a very close knit unit, the boys play for Simmo and each other. If we can stay healthy + introduce more polish with the return of dudes like Ryan, Flynn, Allen and Hewett, it only places us in a better position tactically as we move forward.

Wayyy too early to come out and say everything is fine and that’s certainly not what I’m about to say, it’s only been two games out of years of suffering but it’s looking so much better and there’s clearly buy in where it matters the most. Confidence is key.

NEWS FLASH: the Eagles list is not decimated by injury and they’re playing better.
Saw an interview with Isaac Heeney a couple of weeks ago and they asked him what had changed to get them going better than last year. He said the previous pre season they got down to 25 on the training track and it was hard to build any cohesiveness, he even used the word synergy, when you couldn't train properly.
We had that worse and for longer. I think we can see the benefits of having a semi fit squad, still some holes in the list but heading in the right direction.

I went on 6pr last year to say sacking Simmo wasn't the answer. We needed to get ris of other people like Nesbitt who was asleep at the wheel .As well we needed to Improve s&c and our drafting and all those things happened.
Sacking the coach last year wouldn't have solved problems with our injuries.
Finally Simmo can concentrate on shaping our playing style with a reasonably fit squad

to be fair, nisbett initiated all those changes. reality is all pike has done is change the banner (I actually miss the blow up eagle).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, you have no idea. The law of probability is absolute.
What goes up must come down, to be truly successful you must first be truly unsuccessful .
This will eventually change and we will be successful again.
I don't think you grasp this idea though.
Credits where credits are due Vicbased, you kept the faith.

I’m losing track, and don’t want to read the whole thread, but is it concensus that Adam is a good coach again?

Until we lose again he is

Then the knives will come out again

Reality is we’re 2-4 with a % of 75 and are sitting 14th. A definite improvement but there’s still 17 games to go before making an informed assessment

And there’s some here who’d question whether he was ever a good coach, let alone again

Until we lose again he is

Then the knives will come out again

Reality is we’re 2-4 with a % of 75 and are sitting 14th. A definite improvement but there’s still 17 games to go before making an informed assessment

And there’s some here who’d question whether he was ever a good coach, let alone again

Well…he’s improved them over the last few weeks, or at least had players available to play the way he wants…

Interesting few weeks coming up

Seeing how the Hawks (supposed genius Sam Mitchell) and North Melbourne are going (4 time premierships coach clarkson) makes me realize that maybe there's only so much the coach can do in a short space of time.

Clarkson is in his second year and his players are still headless chooks

Mitchell similarly was the golden boy last year and this year seems all at sea after copping a few injuries

Well…he’s improved them over the last few weeks, or at least had players available to play the way he wants…

Interesting few weeks coming up

He’s showing the benefit of having decent availability with the playing list. Not just on game day but over the preseason and during the week

They were able to work on their game and train the way the way they want to play

And because it’s a young group he’s kept it simple focusing on getting the things they can control right first like contested possessions and pressure around the ball.

Keeping it basic and not worrying so much about more complicated facets for now

Whatever happens, at least if/when Simpson hands over the reigns some foundational building blocks will have been established

I’m losing track, and don’t want to read the whole thread, but is it concensus that Adam is a good coach again?
Shortest version I can do is ‘Simmo good, output s**t, head will still roll.’

Nuanced version is that Simpson is, and always has been, a good coach who would be in high demand should he leave (as a lead assistant at the very least).

However, it’s simply untenable for a club to be this bad for this long without the coach falling on his sword eventually. And of course he’s played a major part in the massive fall, alongside some other reasons such as availability. He was afforded more time than most by virtue of a long contract and an ultra conservative approach that has permeated the club for decades.

It’s now looking like he will leave us in surprisingly better shape than we expected the last few years, but ultimately no coach can survive all of this without a miracle. Pleasant to see some shoots though, really pleasing. Would love for it all to turn around so that there was a genuine argument for keeping him, but I think we just have too much ground to catch up on the competition by the time his contract finishes.

Seeing how the Hawks (supposed genius Sam Mitchell) and North Melbourne are going (4 time premierships coach clarkson) makes me realize that maybe there's only so much the coach can do in a short space of time.

Clarkson is in his second year and his players are still headless chooks

Mitchell similarly was the golden boy last year and this year seems all at sea after copping a few injuries
In fairness to Hawthorn and North, this is where on-field leadership comes into play. We've still got McGovern, Barrass and Duggan in our back line, Yeo and TK in the middle and Darling and Cripps up front. Hawthorn at least have their captain behind the ball. North have Simpkin, McDonald and LDU? I still expect us to take a backwards step if the likes of Yeo and McGovern go down or retire.

Still not on the wagon. I think he's been given a directive to lose the credits and start playing the kids. Don't believe it was instigated by him.

In fairness to Hawthorn and North, this is where on-field leadership comes into play. We've still got McGovern, Barrass and Duggan in our back line, Yeo and TK in the middle and Darling and Cripps up front. Hawthorn at least have their captain behind the ball. North have Simpkin, McDonald and LDU? I still expect us to take a backwards step if the likes of Yeo and McGovern go down or retire.
You forgot Waterman who seems to have been reborn and, if he keeps progressing, he could relegate Oscar to the flanks.

Phil Murphy GIF by GIPHY News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back