Player Watch #9: Charlie Spargo

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we've learnt from writing off young players. He will get fitter, stronger and more confident in his game.

Lingy was discussing oli florent during last nights game and he said players in their third year is when they start to get confidence in their game.

He's dropping every mark that comes his way and is struggling to stick tackles. His effort is still there though. Will get better.

Did enough nice things to keep his spot. Has really nice vision and lowers the eyes more than most. Hit up some nice passes last night. His effort is always there unlike others. His size means he can't stick all tackles and his lack of pace means he can't get to all the contests and put pressure on like the modern day small forward should. Probably needs to start hitting the scoreboard more and lift his tackle count slightly to keep his spot.

Didn't get a whole lot of it but was really good when he did. Uses the ball really well and actually has a lot of composure, a real breath of fresh air when compared to an out of form Nibbler fumbling it all night.

Probably bring Lockhart back in for him though, as I think Lockhart is a bit nippier and was really impressive against Essendon

Big fan of spargos - would love to see him string 8-10 games together, reckon he's one of our best ball users in terms of taking the right option, needs to tidy up execution a touch. Can't ever question his effort and he is ferocious in forward pressure.

Which one on one contest did he win? Didnt see a smother, block, shepherd or tackle that stuck. Very good on the mark though. Must be demoralising winning a hard contest and seeing a mascot one on one as your only option upfield. Supercoach points 23 flattered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prefer to comment on whats dished up on ground and indeed not dished up on ground. Yes suited to a "lower" level as the vast majority of footballers are. Not up to it now, never will be. Cant afford to drop games for the sake of being nice.

He's a smart footballer who never wastes a touch. Physically he's not there yet (understandable for a second year player), and he doesn't find it enough, but I think the signs are there. I see his future in the midfield once he bulks up a bit and builds up his tank - dare I say that I see a bit of Sam Mitchell in him?

Didn't find a lot of it, but I felt he did good things when he had the ball. Thought he was good in traffic and made good decisions. At the very least I reckon Spargo played ok, definitely didn't play a bad game IMO.

Did some good things but 7 disposals simply isnt enough & when you factor in his inabilty to stick a tackle I don't understand why he is in the side.

Did some good things but 7 disposals simply isnt enough & when you factor in his inabilty to stick a tackle I don't understand why he is in the side.

You can't judge a bloke off a single game when he was a late inclusion, as for strength he's 4 games into his second season.. he will get stronger

You can't judge a bloke off a single game when he was a late inclusion, as for strength he's 4 games into his second season.. he will get stronger
Not judging him off one single game. Its becoming a pattern. When you're that small you need some good attributes like speed, finding the ball or elite usage. He may very well get stronger but no point playing him until then.

Not judging him off one single game. Its becoming a pattern. When you're that small you need some good attributes like speed, finding the ball or elite usage. He may very well get stronger but no point playing him until then.

Garlett, Smith, Hannan, AVB and Lockhart were all unavailable... who would you suggest they play

Garlett, Smith, Hannan, AVB and Lockhart were all unavailable... who would you suggest they play
I probably phrased my original comment incorrectly. I understand why he played on Thursday as there wasn't really any other options, I was just surprised at how positive many posters thought Spargos game was. I'd definetly be dropping him for Lockhart next week. I'd even rather have an underdone Garlett out there than Spargo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back