Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

Having been on a free ride for Tennis and rooming with a State Football (Gridiron) Rep, the larger sports like basketball, football, baseball, the stars get a heap of kickbacks from College friends etc... As for a lowely sport like Tennis we had some friends but not like those bigger sports.. I can also say a lot of these guys arrive and have sports cars etc provided, whilst its an amateur sport at college as others have pointed out the NCAA are making billions so they turn a blind eye to things that may enganger them, like education and gifts haha....

Apparently the appeal playing in the NFL is the massive crowds they get unlike the tiny crowds we get.What a tool

If he gets a scholarship to a top NCAA division 1 college they regularly play in front of 100k fans at home. Auburn for example which Siposs just got a scholarship to averged 85k fans per home game last year. They’re massive crowds and put AFL into context.

Having been on a free ride for Tennis and rooming with a State Football (Gridiron) Rep, the larger sports like basketball, football, baseball, the stars get a heap of kickbacks from College friends etc... As for a lowely sport like Tennis we had some friends but not like those bigger sports.. I can also say a lot of these guys arrive and have sports cars etc provided, whilst its an amateur sport at college as others have pointed out the NCAA are making billions so they turn a blind eye to things that may enganger them, like education and gifts haha....

A free ride for tuition alone is worth about 150k

If he gets a scholarship to a top NCAA division 1 college they regularly play in front of 100k fans at home. Auburn for example which Siposs just got a scholarship to averged 85k fans per home game last year. They’re massive crowds and put AFL into context.

To put it into true context, the USA have a population of over 323 million.

The AFL do ok.

To put it into true context, the USA have a population of over 323 million.

The AFL do ok.

That’s missing the point of what Ben was saying. Population or not the crowds at non-pro college sports are huge and larger than the AFL.

No one is having a crack at the AFL. No need to get defensive about it.

He gave up - simple

"The way the game is going now, you need small, quick players to put pressure on and that wasn't my main strength," he told SEN.
He said he spoke with two friends at US colleges earlier in the year and decided it could be a path worth pursuing.
"It was probably the first quarter of the year when I was in and out of the team and I sort of found myself playing VFL," he said.

"I spoke to them and I thought, geez I might give this a crack here.

Firstly, you could probably find 100 AFL players with similar or less ability to Ben who aren't small quicks and who have made successful AFL careers for themselves, and secondly, when you start talking to people about another career in "the first quarter of the year" you have well and truly checked out.

This is what he said in January this year:
“Over the break, especially when I didn’t get a trade, it sort of just clicked that if I don’t do something about my career, it’s going to be gone,” he says.
“This is as good as I’ve felt in the four years that I’ve been the club ... and my mindset has helped as well.”
“The only thing I can do now is work as hard as I can and play the footy that the club probably expects.”

It appears a couple of months later he turned his toes up.

He wont make it in NFL. He doesn't have the heart or the persistence and it's there for all to see.

That’s missing the point of what Ben was saying. Population or not the crowds at non-pro college sports are huge and larger than the AFL.

No one is having a crack at the AFL. No need to get defensive about it.

Not getting defensive. I understand crowds are larger in NFL. Just commenting on your point about putting AFL into context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok having seen the replay thanks for that, BL should have turned round immediately to look if someone was free but there are 2 factors that need consideration
1. he didn't know how long to go and didn't want to risk it
2. he is a good kick and knew he had the distance

in summary a reasonable decision just couldn't execute

anyway he is gone now, probably should have stayed another year and tried to do a Lloyd but didn't want to fight for it.

That hang time apparently needs to be around 6s and I was surprised that the average punt is only around the numbers you mentioned. Having studied Physics the art in a projectile kick or launch you need to hit the target at 45 degrees as this gives you the maximum distance . However they are aiming for hang time so it’s possible they may sacrifice distance for extra height.
I think I might look into this further as Kinematics involving gravity was a favourite of mine at Uni.

Definitely a massive factor.

The average is also reduced by punting from midfield where the aim is to pin the opposition as close to their goal line as possible rather than kick as far as possible. If the punter gets it wrong and it goes into the end zone the receiving team can start with the ball at their 25 yard line so accuracy and height are just as important as length in many cases.

The most highly effective punts might only be 35-40 yards but be a perfect punt to force the opposing team to start at their goal line.

Lloyd and Lennon both had talent and both lacked speed, stamina and flexibility to play other positions

1 of them worked his ass of and fought hard and improved himself and the other gave up.....
ok having seen the replay thanks for that, BL should have turned round immediately to look if someone was free but there are 2 factors that need consideration
1. he didn't know how long to go and didn't want to risk it
2. he is a good kick and knew he had the distance

in summary a reasonable decision just couldn't execute

anyway he is gone now, probably should have stayed another year and tried to do a Lloyd but didn't want to fight for it.
He couldnt stay another year as he was delisted

Lennon will be a very good player for us, mark my words.

Please, quote me next season.

Conca also.

But yeah, Lennon looks pretty happy and relaxed in recent club photos.

Have to assume Lids leaving had a positive effect.

Not saying I'm potting Lids but, the evidence is there.

Carn Lennon :)
Bugger :(

Ah well, awesome year guys :)
Still get emotional watching the GF!

So Ben Lennon was successful in getting a College Football Scholarship for 2019.

He got a spot on the University of Utah for 2019.

Apparently will stay and train alongside Griffiths who will also start in 2019 with USC.

Good on him. Both universities are div 1 pac 12 south. They’ll probably play against each other if they both make the respective teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back