Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure the club tried all they could.
His forward colleague in the Twos Lloyd was reinvented.
Townsend was originally miscast and reinvented.
Butler was reinvigorated and reinvented.
While he wasn't rewarded with senior games, Miles improved his two-way running and tackling (even though his tackling was better than a lot beforehand).
Lambert .... well there is the ultimate reinvention.
I'm sure they did all they could with Lennon but could never get him up to scratch.
It's like this Tora ..... you can put all the time and development into a player - just as you can into an employee in any field (and I as a boss have done that) - sadly some just don't respond, or can't be taken beyond a certain level.
Spot on.

Recall a poster on here saying mid season that he knew Ben and was told by coaching staff that he didn't suit our style of play and wouldn't be getting a game for us. Said poster was laughed at and ridiculed - guess he was right, Lennon papers were stamped earlier in the year and for good reason

kingy46

I hope he punts it better than his last punt in a Richmond jumper.
689e8159e15f4d5707c87efb0c3ec2d9.gif

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am really struggling to understand the College Punter decision by Ben Lennon. I wish him all the best but I just don’t understand why a talented AFL player gives up his AFL dream to pursue a completely different sport. I wonder what Richmond told him in his exit interview...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am really struggling to understand the College Punter decision by Ben Lennon. I wish him all the best but I just don’t understand why a talented AFL player gives up his AFL dream to pursue a completely different sport. I wonder what Richmond told him in his exit interview...
Simple - He just is not good enough at the level and doesnt have the required physical ability or the work ethic to try and improve

He is a 1990's footballer trying to play in 2017 , More to football these days than wait in the foward line mark kick a goal

He gave up - simple

It wasn't his choice...no one wanted him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suspect they asked around and knew he would not be traded / drafted.
Richmond / Ben’s manger that is.

He'd probably get paid more as a punter, for less work too.
Maybe he's always had an NFL dream as well and now is the right time to go pursue it rather than continue at the AFL dream and possibly not get very far.

From his last kick in vfl football he couldn’t make the distance just outside fifty , but to his credit it did have a lo or hang time. Good luck Ben and once this dream fizzes I think being a used car salesman is your next vocation in life.

Kicked it from 60, and it cleared the line easily. Hardly “not making the distance”

Good luck to him. He’s taking it pretty seriously and training three days a week plus 6 gym sessions a week for leg strength etc, learning new techniques.
It hasn’t just been a decision made on a whim by the sound of it and something that has been on his mind for 6 months or more. He realized his footy opportunities were limited And has has some friends playing college in the states so has some contacts to bounce off, and going to college isn’t a bad thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back